Skip navigation

ESC key not working outside PS in Vista...

Oct 23, 2007 9:51 AM

Latest reply: DC Cardwell, Mar 9, 2014 5:02 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2009 9:03 AM   in reply to (Eli_Roth)

I'm using 32-bit version of Vista Professional and Photoshop CS2 on a Fujitsu laptop equipped with a Mobile Intel 945 Express graphics chip.

This ESC-problem has puzzled and bugged me for quite some time now, but not until today I got so frustrated about it to actually google it. Luckily I found this thread. I found that shutting down Photoshop gave me the ESC-key back, but that is a poor solution since I use Photoshop quite a bit when working and it's a pain to launch only when needed (because that takes forever). I have no third party plugins installed.

If I disable the hotkeys in the graphics driver (enabled by default, none of which used the ESC-key) the problem goes away.Thanks Eli_Roth for the suggestion.

Because the problem occurs with graphics drivers of almost any brand and only when Photoshop is running, I can't say I believe Adobe is totally innocent. And I must say I agree with the other frustrated users here who think Adobe are arrogant and that their support and care for their customers need improvement. Isn't it funny how the users give better support than those who actually wrote the application?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 5:29 AM   in reply to Tomas.Eklund

I just noticed something that might be of interest. I was loading this huge file into Photoshop CS2 that seemed to take forever. You know, there is a progress indicator and Cancel-button which is coupled with the Escape key. So instead of staring at that boring screen for several minutes I brought up ACDSee (an image viewer/browser application) browsing through some images. When ACDSee is in full screen viewing mode Escape takes you out of it. But this time it didn't. I pressed Escape several times but it was locked in that state. I had to use Ctrl-F4 to close it. When I went back to Photoshop I saw that the image wasn't opened. Pressing Escape in a different application had apparently stopped the loading of the large image in Photoshop.

This suggests that Photoshop CS does indeed hijack the Escape key in some non-standard way.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 5:29 PM   in reply to Tomas.Eklund

I use ACDSee as well. Disabling hotkeys on my Intel 965 settings has done the job since I last posted in this thread two years ago. I can go fullscreen with ACDSee and use the ESC key to get out of it when Photoshop CS4 is running. I think I had further traced it either to a screen rotation feature in my driver,or the hotkeys enabled for that feature.

This does fix the problem,but no idea why.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 6:41 PM   in reply to gener7

Yes, I've experienced the same thing. Disabling hotkeys altogether in the Mobile Intel 945 "Graphics media accelerator driver" works to bring the Escape key back in other applications outside of Photoshop CS most of the time (thanks for the tip by the way), but not when Photoshop is busy with something that takes a little longer and brings up that progress bar indicator with a Cancel button. Then it hijacks the Escape key - system wide - and aborts whatever it's doing if the Escape key is pressed, even if it's within other applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 8:52 PM   in reply to Tomas.Eklund

Well,in that case I hope disabling the hotkeys at least fixed the majority of your troubles with the ESC key. I never have anything going on in Photoshop long enough to try using ESC elsewhere. Another thing you might want to try is to disable the "rotate screen" feature in your intel settings and see if there is further improvement.

Also be sure you do have the latest drivers.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2009 6:27 PM   in reply to (Eli_Roth)

This issue is valid for Windows 7 x64 and PS CS4 x64 as well. NVidia drivers.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 7:04 AM   in reply to Asmodeus Dhoine

Ditto, I have CS4 installed on a new Alienware computer running 64 bit Windows 7 with nvidia video drivers.  The exact same plugins were installed on a 32 and 64 bit Vista machine with no problems, but as soon as I moved to the new computer, the "no escape key" phenomenon started. Some advice from Adobe would be most appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 4:42 PM   in reply to (Eli_Roth)

Same problem on PS 64-bit CS4, 64-bit Win 7 on a MacBook Pro (nVidia).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 11:38 PM   in reply to (Eli_Roth)

I have disabled all programms with any appearence of hot keys. But it does not solve the problem with esc key swallowing outside photoshop.

And combinations (Shift+Esc; Ctrl+[) does not work for me.

Windows 7 64bit, CS4

Is there something else i can do with it?

I didn't try to remove plugin directory, 'cose it's silly, i wanna use plugins.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2010 4:34 AM   in reply to (Eli_Roth)

This has been fixed in CS5. Finally!    

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 4, 2010 5:07 AM   in reply to Asmodeus Dhoine
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Asmodeus Dhoine wrote:

I just confirmed that with Photoshop CS5 and Windows 7 x64.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2010 5:17 AM   in reply to Asmodeus Dhoine

Wow... That's about time (although I just cannot afford to upgrade at the moment).

The ineptitude of the Photoshop programmers is sometimes just astounding. Sure, it's a fine application and they have done a great job on many parts of it, but there are so many flaws that they just don't seem to care to fix.

And don't get me started on the versioning. They sell minor releases such as CS3 and CS4 as major, just so that they can charge extra money for the upgrade without really providing much new in terms of value. I can see how CS5 would be worth paying for but, as I said... Oops! Sorry for straying off topic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2010 7:40 AM   in reply to Tomas.Eklund

So there's no solution for that ESC thing for my pricey CS4 except buying a pricey CS5?

Great!        ...not.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2010 3:52 PM   in reply to RicEyes

I can confirm that this happens in CS4 64 bit for Win 7 64. We have 3 people in our office on quad core Intel chips with various video cards and the second you launch Photoshop, the escape key no longer functions. This is the case even with shutting down every other application. Also, on our systems that have ATI cards, I tried disabling any hot key thing and again, nothing changes: escape no longer functions. All I have to do is open CS4, not even any docs. I have just a default install of CS4, I've never actually customzied anything or installed a plugin. The one guy we have on CS5 doesn't have this issue. Again, this happens with all other apps shut down, as well as any non-essential processes (as in, I'm not shutting down svchost.exe thank you). To repro it's simple: launch CS4, note that escape no longer functions in any app or in Windows. Close CS4, escape works as intended. The shift-escape trick does work for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 10:47 PM   in reply to (Eli_Roth)

I have understood that it is the conflict of the program and UAC. If to disconnect UAC, all works as it is necessary.

Windows 7, Adobe Creative Suite 3.
    I had to disconnect UAC because on each action the photoshop needed permission UAC. And drag-n-drop was impossible.

Excuse for my English. I use the online translator.

Короче, UAС - зло

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 6:01 AM   in reply to Paplanime

I doubt that UAC has anything to do with Escape not working.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 7:44 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Asmodeus Dhoine wrote:

I just confirmed that with Photoshop CS5 and Windows 7 x64.

-Noel

Excellent!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 9:32 AM   in reply to Asmodeus Dhoine

Asmodeus Dhoine wrote:

I doubt that UAC has anything to do with Escape not working.

But indeed. Really.

I have switched off UAC and now I have not any problems with Adobe Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 9:35 AM   in reply to Paplanime

Perhaps disabling UAC also disabled something else that was preventing ESC from working? I tried different things and I found one little utility app that should be run with PS to enable ESC usage outside of PS.

Может быть, что-то вместе с UAC отключилось, что мешало эскейпу? Я не знаю, я пробовал по-разному его починить и нашёл только отдельную маленькую программу, которую нужно запускать вместе с ФШ и тогда работает ESC вне фотошопа.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 11:48 AM   in reply to Asmodeus Dhoine

Asmodeus Dhoine wrote:

I found one little utility app that should be run with PS to enable ESC usage outside of PS.

нашёл только отдельную маленькую программу, которую нужно запускать вместе с ФШ и тогда работает ESC вне фотошопа.

А что за программа?

Хотя... Неработающий ESC - не самая большая неприятность в связке ФШ CS3 + Win7 x64 на моем компе...

What program?
    Though idle ESC - not the greatest trouble in sheaf PS CS3 + Win7 x64 on my computer

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 12:04 PM   in reply to Paplanime

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 8:17 PM   in reply to Asmodeus Dhoine

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 10:07 PM   in reply to (milosh6)

I was having the no escape key issue in Win 7 64bit with Photoshop CS4 32bit, it was also happening with XNview, going to task bar and killing the ccc.exe process fixed it for me. ATI Catalyst Control Center.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 4:04 AM   in reply to malcolm341

Same problem here:

CS4 with PShop64 on Win 7 Ultimate 64

Catalyst Control Center

Switching off the hotkeys in CCC did not improve the situation.

But killing the CCC process in taskmanager did indeed!

Thanks you malcolm341, this was a great help.

And shame on Adobe. Considering the prices of their products (especially outside of the US) they behave lousy. Whatever bad reputation Microsoft has earned over the last decades, Adobe is doing their very best to catch up on them if not beating them. Very typical North American mind set: The only remaining focus is EBITDA and shareholder value. I am not at all happy that I have to use products of this company.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 14, 2011 7:56 AM   in reply to Jörg Wagner

Shame on Adobe?  You have an oddball system software setup on your machine interfering with normal operation of Photoshop (proven by your closing another app and making it work) and you blame Adobe?  That seems a little irresponsible.

FYI, I've used ATI cards and Catalyst Control Center for years, and I haven't seen the problem.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Sorry Noel, wrong conclusion. If you read through this thread thoroughly you will find that the effect happens in conjunction with at least three different graphics card related products but is ultimately triggered by Photoshop CS4 (or lower). It happens only with Photoshop, no other software is reported to create the problem (not here and not elsewhere on the web).

Conclusion:

Is it an interference effect between different products? Yes.

Is it originally caused by the graphics card products?  Probably not.

Is it caused by the Photoshop? Probably yes.

I haved used CS4 myself without any problems for years on an XP system with Catalyst. This proves nothing.

Right now, on a completely new and clean Win7 system, I experience this problem. It happens ONLY with Photoshop. No other software triggers it.

As I cannot resign Photoshop I have to kill CCC, even if Pshop is the culprit.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 10:48 AM   in reply to Jörg Wagner

I thought ATI had already fixed this issue in their drivers some time ago, but apparently you are still seeing the same old bug in CCC.

Please disable CCC, and contact ATI to let them know that you don't like CCC globally grabbing key events when it recognizes certain applications are running.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 14, 2011 11:01 AM   in reply to Jörg Wagner

No system is completely "clean and new". You have undoubtedly already visited web sites, many of which install Add-on software, and have installed at least some applications.  What antivirus solution are you running?

I'm not doubting that you see the problem; I'm just saying that it's really up to you to ferret out the problem and integrate the parts of your system so that everything works properly together.  This is the price we pay for having inexpensive mix and match computer hardware and software.

Have you updated to the latest Catalyst driver set from the AMD web site (11.9 as of right now)?

Can you describe an exact sequence for reproducing the problem?  As I have both Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 systems here with Photoshop CS4, along with Catalyst 11.9 (CCC is running), I will be more than happy to check specifics.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 11:29 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

@Chris:  I have disabled CCC. Simply disabling hotkeys in CCC is not enough.

@Noel:  I am running 11.8. Will update tomorrow and report whether this solves the problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 14, 2011 11:58 AM   in reply to Jörg Wagner

Also, did you try disabling HotKeys then rebooting?

Photoshop CS4 responds to the Escape key in every case for me with CCC running (but HotKeys unchecked) on my Windows 7 x64 system.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 1:55 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Updated to Catalyst 11.9 now. Behaviour is unchanged:

PShop eats Esc as long as CCC is running.

Disabling hotkeys in CCC and rebooting does NOT change the problem.

Disabling the autostart of CCC in msconfig and rebooting SOLVES the problem.

How to reproduce:

The problem does not affect all software, e.g. it does NOT affect Notepad.

But it DOES affect the MS Office suite 2010:

Start Excel, hit Ctrl-F to open the Find dialog, hit ESC and the Find dialog is dismissed.

Now start Photoshop. Switch to Excel and try again. On my machine the Find dialog is not dismissed anymore if Photoshop has been started after Excel. The dialog is completely unaffected by ESC when Photoshop is running. (It still can be dismissed hitting Shift-ESC, as others have reported.)

Some programs seem to lose ESC only if they have been started BEFORE Photoshop is started. Restarting them after Photoshop gives them back their ESC functionality. So make sure to start the program to test for ESC before you start Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 17, 2011 10:22 AM   in reply to Jörg Wagner

Thank you for the detailed steps to reproduce the problem.  I can reproduce it using your steps, using Excel 2003 and Photoshop CS4, with CCC running.

For what it's worth, the problem does not show up when I run Photoshop CS5 on the same system under the same circumstances.

As Adobe is no longer actively updating Photoshop CS4, it looks like your alternatives are to run your system without CCC or upgrade to Photoshop CS5.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 10:37 AM   in reply to Jörg Wagner

Jorg - you have a few mistakes.

Photoshop does not eat the escape key.  CCC is consuming the event for the escape key.  CCC only consumes that event when certain applications it recognizes are running, and Photoshop is one of those applications.

Again, I thought that ATI had already fixed this issue.  At least they didn't put CS5 on their application list...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 1:14 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Great, so we are back at step zero:  Adobe shifts the blame to AMD/ATI.

You are persistently ignoring the fact that the problem also happens with Intel GMAs - as reported by multiple users in this thread.

The recommendation to invest into an update of your product to solve what is very likely your fault is rediculous and offending.

Please continue your hide&seek game without me. I stand by everything that I have said about Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to Jörg Wagner

We never reproduced this problem on Intel GPUs. We did reproduce it with ATI drivers and debugged it to find a problem in CCC.  We notified ATI, and thought they had fixed it.

I'm sorry you're not happy with the way things are, and sorry that you continue to blame the wrong party.

But you can talk to ATI about the bug, or disable CCC and recover the functionality you're missing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 18, 2011 10:10 AM   in reply to Jörg Wagner

Perhaps the upgrade to CS5 would be worth buying, if for no other reason than to just no longer be frustrated by this particular system integration bug.  And it's not like Photoshop CS5 doesn't bring other value to the party.  I couldn't live without Content Aware Fill.  It's saved me countless hours of cloning.

While we hope that Adobe does the best they can to make their products work well on the most possible systems, the responsibility for making things from different vendors work on our systems is ultimately ours.  This is the price we pay for inexpensive mix and match hardware and software.  You may not think that Photoshop is inexpensive, but a few hundred dollars for a product that's a result of man-centuries of work is cheap indeed!  And how much did you pay for your ATI video card, hardware, software, and all?  Less than a hundred bucks I'll wager.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 12:27 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Dear Chris Cox,

I see that you missed reading my earlier posts in this thread, and you seem to have skipped a lot of other user's posts as well. If you look back you will find that not only did I report using a Mobile Intel 945 Express graphics chip (so you can't blame ATI there), but I also found evidence suggesting that Photoshop CS2 does indeed hijack the ESC key: By pressing ESC in a different application I was able to cancel the loading of a large image in Photoshop. Please explain this in terms of "it's not our fault, blame so and so..."

Others have reported similar issues with other graphics cards still, many users having NVIDIA graphics cards and drivers - and you still claim it's ATI's fault? Even though killing the process of the respective graphics card's control center, or deleting the plugins folders, or turning off UAC seems to alleviate the problem in some circumstances, the one common denominator in all reported cases is... Photoshop!

You should be careful not to utter ridiculous statements like "sorry that you continue to blame the wrong party", when in fact you seem to be doing just that. It's evident that you are not on the Adobe marketing team, or you would probably know better and choose your wording more carefully. Please remember that most customers writing here are not media trained, but rather just frustrated users. You, on the other hand, represent Adobe and should really not be the one taking this discussion to the sandbox level. Perhaps some basic training on marketing and customer communication would be in place if you are to continue participating in these forums? I just took the time to re-read this entire thread and not anywhere did I see the "Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention, we take your concerns seriously and will go to great effort to find a solution to this problem which seem to cause a great deal of aggravation to our valued customers" response one could expect from a reputed software company. Instead all your responses seem to be trying to blame someone else. It's so unprofessional - and immature - it leaves me flabbergasted.

I do recognize that computer systems of today are incredibly complex, with a myriad of potentially conflicting software running simultaneously, there is a slim chance that Photoshop is not actually the culprit here. But let's face it - at this point there is no strong evidence that suggests that. Rather, since Adobe's official attitude has always been "its' probably not our fault..." it's way too likely that your next (silent) thought was "...so we're not even going to look into it with a great deal of effort".

It just goes to show what Adobe really stands for, and frankly - it leaves me quite disappointed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 1:31 PM   in reply to Tomas.Eklund

Tomas - I'm very sorry that you misread the posts in this topic and misunderstood most of what I've been saying.  And I'm sorry if I did not use the precise words you were looking for when trying to help people figure out what was causing the problem on their systems (when so many other users don't see a similar problem).

If you read the forums more closely, you will find that we investigate  reports of problems, acknowledge our own problems and get them fixed as soon as we can.  But what's left after that are problems that we cannot fix, things outside of our control -- and that's what most customers run into after we fix our problems.  So yes, many of the explanations are going to involve someone else's code - because that's the most common cause of problems (by a huge margin).  That does not mean that Adobe, or I, always blames others - it's just simple process of elimination that the external causes are the majority that remains.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 18, 2011 1:38 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris, has ATI ever said why they might want to absorb Escape key presses for certain applications?  Or did it just seem to be a bug in their Hotkeys implementation?  Notably Hotkeys were not even enabled by default, at least not on my setup.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 3:08 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

We didn't get a response with any details, unfortunately.

We think it was just a bug.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)