Skip navigation
curiouscat951
Currently Being Moderated

misc questions for lightroom workflow.

Oct 14, 2011 7:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I have just switched from using ACR to lightroom 3.5 - still getting used to it.

in the meantime, i have a few questions for the gurus here :

- situation : i use the LR import dialog to copy my pictures from the SD card to my internal HDD ( AFAIK there's no way to use the MOVE command, because LR is afraid of file corruption right? if there's an alternative solution please tell me!)

I rate the images as such :

1 - trash [ what's the benefit of flagging it as rejected as compared to my method? ]

4 - further processing in PS CS5

6 - fully processed - to upload on facebook

Unrated images can be directly exported as JPEGs - minor adjustments all done in LR.

I have a specific question with the 4 star images. The problem is,after I filtered out the 4 star images to edit on PS, I cannot save the changes in the raw file. since they can only be saved as JPEGs/TIFs etc, these files go "out of my workflow".

they cannot be found in the catalog.

i have to re-sync the folder, find those images MANUALLY, re-rate those JPEGs as 6(to upload on fb), then suffer from extra artifacts from re-rendering the JPEGs.

is there a more elegant way of uploading seamlessly from LR after editing my pictures in PS?

---

- some of LR's shortcuts are counter-intuitive. for instance, i used to use C for crop tool in both ACR and PS. now i have to get used to using R. is there a way to change it? the crop tool also behaves differently from ACR, in that i drag the photo than the frame. can that behavior be changed?

- is there a way to shuffle quickly between the various settings in adjustment brush menu? in ACR it used to be TAB, but in LR it's used to hide the panels.

- how do i get the catalog to sync changes to my folder automatically, in real time? i can only find the auto-import menu, which doesn't seem to perform the functions i want ( it asks for an empty watched folder??? )

- what is the most optimal quality setting for Facebook uploads?

- Is it possible to get LR to render files as PNGs before uploading on fb? reason being : lossless.

- which tool in PS is the standard screen sharpening in LR equivalent to? Is there a need for me to run USM in PS before i upload them?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 14, 2011 7:08 AM   in reply to curiouscat951

curiouscat951 wrote:

- some of LR's shortcuts are counter-intuitive. for instance, i used to use C for crop tool in both ACR and PS. now i have to get used to using R. is there a way to change it? the crop tool also behaves differently from ACR, in that i drag the photo than the frame. can that behavior be changed?

- is there a way to shuffle quickly between the various settings in adjustment brush menu? in ACR it used to be TAB, but in LR it's used to hide the panels.

- how do i get the catalog to sync changes to my folder automatically, in real time? i can only find the auto-import menu, which doesn't seem to perform the functions i want ( it asks for an empty watched folder??? )

- what is the most optimal quality setting for Facebook uploads?

- Is it possible to get LR to render files as PNGs before uploading on fb? reason being : lossless.

- which tool in PS is the standard screen sharpening in LR equivalent to? Is there a need for me to run USM in PS before i upload them?

Thanks!

- No, and no

- Not that I know of

- You can't.  Lightroom isn't a browser.

- Facebook doesn't handle pictures well so there are no good settings as far as I know

- No.  You can do a droplet from PS to do this, probably, and call it from the export module.

- There isn't one.  Export sharpening is most similar to that from Pixel Genius.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 8:25 AM   in reply to curiouscat951

Just to let you know that if you set the quality too high for FB (or too large), FB will automatically down-sample your image for display thus it will look pixelated and it's not LR fault. On the right side of each image on FB, you will see something say "DOWNLOAD" that is your full solution image you have uploaded. The best way to do it is upload image to meet maximum FB display limit. I think it's 720px horizontally and 250Kb. But I'm not too sure, hope someone else can help you with this.

1 - trash [ what's the benefit of flagging it as rejected as compared to my method? ]

For me, it's faster clean up since there is a function to "Delete All Rejected Photos".

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2011 6:18 AM   in reply to curiouscat951

curiouscat951 wrote:

I have a specific question with the 4 star images. The problem is,after I filtered out the 4 star images to edit on PS, I cannot save the changes in the raw file. since they can only be saved as JPEGs/TIFs etc, these files go "out of my workflow".

they cannot be found in the catalog.

i have to re-sync the folder, find those images MANUALLY, re-rate those JPEGs as 6(to upload on fb), then suffer from extra artifacts from re-rendering the JPEGs.

is there a more elegant way of uploading seamlessly from LR after editing my pictures in PS?

I don't understand why you can't find the edited image in the catalog after editing in Photoshop.  Where are you opening these images from?   After you've done your editing in Lightroom and are ready to edit in Photoshop, right-click the images in Lightroom and select "Edit in Photoshop".  I like to edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments to keep my original file as is.  Once you've completed the editing in Photoshop, save the file as PSD or some other format (e.g. JPEG).  You will find the edited image in Lightroom alongside the original in the same catalog, in the same collection. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2011 10:03 PM   in reply to acresofgreen

Perhaps he isn't choosing "Edit in Photoshop" from Lightroom's Library view. If he goes to Finder and opens the raw file in Photoshop from there, LR won't automatically import the new JPG/TIFF and won't know it exists at all until he manually imports it.

Basically, once you start using Lightroom for your workflow don't do anything to files outside of it in Finder. You'll end up with all sorts of issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 5:39 AM   in reply to curiouscat951

Hi,

I think I will try to answer some questions you have.  It may be easier to explain an example of my workflow, this isn't necessarily the correct way, just the way I've chosen to do it.

1. Import the photos directly from the compact flash card.
    2. On the import dialog select 'render 1:1 previews' - which saves time in the 'Library module' as it doesn't have to render your 1:1 view when you zoom.
    3. Still in import assign some keywords so it's easier to find your work.  I just import each batch of photos into the date they're taken
    4. Convert to DNG just because it's lossless compression.
    5. After import I select the folder from within lightroom and change the filter to 'unflagged photos only'
    6. I then view each in turn and press P or X to flag or reject.  You'll automatically move to the next one because of the filter
    7. Once I've done that, I rate them with stars and colours
    8. I apply all Lightroom processing I will do, including sharpening and noise.  Then I right click on a photo and chose 'Edit in Photoshop' and then select 'Edit a copy with lightroom adjustments'
    9. I apply and changes in CS5, usually some content aware spot healing as it's better than the tool in LR
    10. I then save and close the file.  Because you came from the lightroom 'edit in' it will appear in Lightroom.  Pretty sure it will automatically be flagged as a 'pass' too.
    11. I then export it to wherever, usually Flickr.
    12. If needed you can then delete all rejected photos.

I think what you will need to do regarding uploading to facebook and recompressing is to setup the Facebook publishing service in LR.  It's at the bottom of the navigator in the Libary pane.  This way you don't export twice, you export and convert the PSD that you saved from Photoshop directly to facebook.  Either that or use one of the tools from here http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies I use the Flickr one.

Regarding sharpening, it's most like the newer Smart Sharpen in PS.  You won't need to use USM at all.  You can sharpen again in the export module which as stated above is most like USM.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points