Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Stop markers for Blu-ray discs in PRE 10

Sep 27, 2011 2:01 PM

This is a very old story: Stop markers work only in the preview mode, but not from a burned blu ray disc. Still in 10, shame on Adobe!

Regards

Andreas

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 27, 2011 3:44 PM   in reply to dranle

Does the user guide mention stop markers?

Are they supposed to work on a BluRay?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 10:43 AM   in reply to dranle

I'm not aware that Stop Markers do not work on BluRay discs.

Is this true even if you play the disc on your computer's disc drive?

Sometimes standalone players have problems with home-burned DVDs and BluRay discs.

Have you contacted Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 1:00 PM   in reply to dranle

So you want to complain -- but not tell Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 2:00 PM   in reply to dranle

Bill's article may be helpful.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/673558

Sorry, dranle. Didn't mean to come off like a smart guy. But sometimes people do come here to complain instead of talking to the people who can actually do something about it.

I hope you get through.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 2:58 PM   in reply to dranle

Andreas,

The only Marker issues, that I can recall, are when Chapter Markers are placed too closely together, and when a Stop Marker is placed at the end of the Timeline.

Exactly what is the behavior that you are experiencing, or perhaps not experiencing, regarding Stop Markers? How are you using those, please?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 9:52 AM   in reply to dranle

What did they mean by a feature??? I think what they (should have) meant is that "getting Stop markers to work is a feature request. It currently does not work". Either ways, I agree, it is frustrating. I must say I wouldn't have noticed if you had not mentioned it here..

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 10:41 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

For a very long time reports keep appearing that Stop Markers do not function during the playback of Premiere Elements Share/Disc/Blu-ray export. These reports appear to represent playback on Blu-ray players as well as via computer Blu-ray playback software. It was only recently that I went Blu-ray. I do not have a Blu-ray player for my TV, but I can confirm that Stop Markers do not function during computer playback of Premiere Elements Blu-ray. And, that applies to all the versions of Premiere Elements that offer burn to Blu-ray. In contrast, there is no problems with the Timeline Main Markers or Scene Markers in this regard.

I do not see that anyone has asked, but the answer is: Stop Markers DO NOT FUNCTION in the computer playback of the new AVCHD to DVD disc as well as the Blu-ray disc format to Blu-ray disc of Premiere Elements 10. At the same time, the Stop Markers CONTINUE TO WORK in the computer playback of DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc in any version of Premiere Elements.

It is not clear to me at this time whether the matter goes to

(a) Adobe not wanting to offer the Stop Marker option for Blu-ray or AVCHD

or

(b) Some sort of techical issue involving the different File Systems for the disc (AVCHD & Blu-ray, UDF 2.50, and DVD-VIDEO, UDF 1.02

But this is what troubles me most...you, Steve Grisetti, and John T. Smith questioned the person who started this thread as if it was a given that Stop Markers function in the Premiere Elements Blu-ray. To date, I have never seen any report anywhere that this is the case. So, am I left to assume that you three have been there, done that, and that you have gotten Stop Markers function in Premiere Elements Blu-ray. I know the party line (Help PDF) has been that these Stop Markers work the "same" in DVD and Blu-ray.

Can any other video editing software, including Premiere Pro CS5, provide an export with functioning Stop Markers (TV or computer) for Blu-ray disc format on a Blu-ray disc?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 11:20 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Sorry if my questions seemed to indicate that all was right with Stop Markers. I was only trying to rule out other possibilities, that might be a problem. If not, then nothing should be lost by eliminating all other possibilities.

For all encountering such issues, I strongly recommend chronicling the situation, and filing a Bug Report to Adobe.

I apologize if I did anything wrong here,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 11:54 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Nothing to be gained or lost by filing a Bug Report since Adobe appears to be well aware of the situation. According to Andreas post, we should be seeing an explanation of all this in a upcoming revision of the Help PDF for one or more of these programs. Something to watch for.

You can do no wrong anytime anywhere. I just wanted to make sure whether or not you, Steve Grisetti, John T. Smith were succeeding in this Stop Marker Blu-ray business where others were not. Since you all did not come out and say at the onset, no that does not work, I got the impression that maybe you all found a way that we were overlooking. I did not want to go off on the wrong track taking anything for granted.

So there is no right or wrong, just a lot of being helpful, as usual, on your side. By the way, what is the situation with all this with regard to Premiere Elements 4.0 and Premiere Pro CS2 with which you work?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 12:21 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Nothing to be gained or lost by filing a Bug Report since Adobe appears to be well aware of the situation.

I respectfully disagree. Adobe prioritizes Bug Reports first by the volume of reports, and then by what it will take to exact a fix. With more reports, adequately documented, the Bug moves to the top of the first stack, and goes into the "How do we fix it" stack.

Obviously, the OP did not do anything wrong, and that this is a certified Bug. Still, for Adobe to move on it, users need to fill in the Bug Request.

Same thing for a Feature Request - the more, documented requests, the more likely Adobe will escalate the priority to implement it.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 1:15 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Sorry, but we are at a disagree stale mate on the Adobe Features Request/Bug Report on this particular one. If it were anything else maybe I would view this differently.

At this point, I do not know what to call this besides a problem....a "bug" to me implies that there was a Stop Marker/Blu-ray feature incorporated into the programming for the export and it is not working properly...but is there really anyway of knowing if the Stop Marker/Blu-ray feature for the export was ever incorporated into the export programming at all? So, I am not sure if we are dealing with a new feature request or a "bug". Either way, the end request is the same.

Without necessarily naming brands, it would be interesting to learn if this is an Adobe issue or an industry issue.

By the way, I believe that I sent in my Adobe Features Request/Bug Report on this particular matter a long, long time ago and so did many others. In some cases, many users made direct contact with Adobe on this matter. And, in all that time, Andreas' posted message from Adobe was the first and only comment that I have ever seen from Adobe (forums or otherwise) on this matter. To repeat, I do not know if the request is technically possible or whether it is just not a feature that Adobe feels necessary.

How does Premiere Pro CS5 handle this?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 5:30 PM   in reply to dranle

Andreas

Thank you for your follow up. Until I obtain further information on the technical merits of the whys involved in this matter, I will move forward with my projects under existing conditions which are not creating problems for my creativity and productivity.

But, we do have to talk further about what you wrote, specifically where you wrote:

"But I have to correct one technical point written in the replies above: On the new AVCHD-Disc burned on a normal DVD stop markers do work properly! Even playing this disc on a blu-ray multifunctional standalone player."

I stay with what I wrote

Premiere Elements 10.0 PC

Stop Marker(s) do not function in the computer play back of the AVCHD-DVD in my work. That computer software being used for the playback is CyberLinkPowerDVD 9 that came in the suite of software with my new Blu-ray burner. The DVD is HP DVD-R 16X (4.7 GB/120 min). The AVCHD-DVD was created via Premiere Elements 10.0 PC Share/Disc/AVCHD with a preset of H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC. The computer playback is beautiful. As I said previously, I do not have a Blu-ray player for my TV set. So, all of that is the full scope of what I wrote.

What I am seeing for Stop Markers function and AVCHD format on a DVD disc is consistent with and the same as what I am seeing for Stop Marker function for Blu-ray disc format on a Blu-ray disc.

Therefore I am very curious to know the details of your workflow where you are successful in the matter of AVCHD DVD and Stop Marker full function.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 9:00 AM   in reply to dranle

Andreas

Thank you again for the follow up which is important to us all.

Contrary to your report, I have found no evidence that stop markers in a Premiere Elements 10 AVCHD DVD are recognized  at its computer playback of the ACVHD DVD. As I have said, I do not have a TV Blu-ray player, PS3, or the like, and I have not looked into non computer playback for the Premiere Elements 10 AVCHD DVD. So, what is the key difference between your YES to stop markers working in your Premiere Elements 10 AVCHD DVD playback and my NO to stop markers working in my Premiere Elements 10 AVCHD DVD playback. The question sent me back to Premiere Elements 10 to explore the situation further based on points that you made in your last post.

No stop markers in a Premiere Elements 10 AVCHD DVD were recognized during its computer play back with PowerDVD 9 (part of the software that came bundled with the Blu-ray burner). So, the version of computer player is one difference between us, you with PowerDVD 11 and me with PowerDVD9. I have found no settings in PowerDVD 9 that would impact the recognition of stop markers in the Premiere Elements 10 AVCHD DVD at its play back. And, PowerDVD 9 does recognize stop markers in Premiere Elements 10 DVD-VIDEO on DVD. Therefore, I am tentatively concluding that there is no difference affecting this situation when PowerDVD 9 vs PowerDVD 11. If you see a special PowerDVD 11 setting related to this matter, please let us know.

More direct observations:

DID NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE

a. NTSC vs PAL settings for project preset/Share/Disc/AVCHD/Preset

b. DVD-R (4.7 min/120 min, 16X) vs DVD-RW (4.7 min/120 min, 4X)

c. Blu-ray burner (Windows 7 64 bit) vs 2 different DVD burners (Windows XP 32 bit)

d. Windows 7 64 bit vs Windows XP 32 bit

e. Premiere Elements 10 (64 bit application, in Windows 7 64 bit) vs Premiere Elements 10 (32 bit application, when in other than Windows 7 64 bit)

It would be very helpful for others to contribute their observations on this matter.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 9:04 AM   in reply to dranle

Andreas,

With PrElements, there is one more step in the Feature Request. It does not stand out well, but the image below will show you where to click. PrE is in the Photoshop Family.

Feature_Request_PrE.png

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2011 12:20 PM   in reply to dranle

I confirm that stop markers don't work with my system.  I just burned my simple AVCHD video with stop markers three ways – DVD, AVCHD, and Blu-ray.  The stop markers worked properly  with DVD, but were ignored with AVCHD and and Blu-ray discs.  I tested with three different Blu-ray players

Details:

Version:               Premiere Elements 10

PC:                         Windows 7, 64 bit

Time line:            Aprox 7 minutes consisting of 3 AVCHD clips (clips spaced 10 seconds apart)

Menu Marker:  One at beginning of each clip (3 total)

Stop Markers:   One at end of 1st two clips, none at end (2 total)

Blu-ray Media:  Maxell BD-R

Blu-ray Burner: PC – Hitachi HDS722020ALA330

Blu-ray Players: PC – Hitachi HDS722020ALA330, PanasonicDMP-BD605, Samsung (1 yr old, don’t know model)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to dranle

Stop markers don't work for me either.  Mac, 10.7.4, fully up to date, Premiere Elements 10, burning Blu-Ray, Relatively new Sony player.  My Toast disks work fine (albeit uglier menus, no menu audio etc).

I bought PRE10 because I thought it was better than Toast - but on this project I'm forced to go back to toast.  I have to wonder, when a company has a high end product that sells for 10 times the low end product, if bugs go uncorrected in order to entice people to move up.  Not me - don't do enough of these to warrant high end overpriced Adobe products.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to mgg@mac.com

No reason to post this four times, Mgg. We all saw it the first time.

Also, rather than ask rhetorical questions here on a user-to-user forum, why not contact Adobe with your issues?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

1.  I've used every available avenue.  NO RESPONSE.  The last update for this software on the support page is dated 12/15/2011.  For a bug like this, it's completely unacceptable.  They ask you to pay cash for a product whose functionality is obviously flawed.  I HATE USING TOAST, but it is either that or shell $700 which I'm not doing.  So, once every few weeks, when I have to use TOAST, I come here and see if there is an update, any change - but all I find is people wondering why I'm not in a better mood or why I've posted here and yon trying to get some kind of response.

I have work to do.

mgg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to mgg@mac.com

PrE has a rather limited, and very linear authoring function. Once beyond the basics of authoring, most users go with a full-featured authoring app. I use Adobe Encore, but it is now only bundled with PrPro, and not available as a stand-alone. Many others use Sony's DVD Architect, but, IIRC, it is only available for the PC.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 5:36 PM   in reply to mgg@mac.com

1.  I've used every available avenue.  NO RESPONSE.  The last update for this software on the support page is dated 12/15/2011.  For a bug like this, it's completely unacceptable.

PrE is on an approximate 12 mo. upgrade plan. Historically, there have been scant few updates, after release. PrE 3 was updated to work with Vista. PrE 8 got two updates, and that is highly unusual for PrE.

PrE 11 should be out any time now, but I do not know if the authoring functions have been improved, or enhanced. Early reviews should be out very soon, and then we will learn.

Sorry that PrE is not working for you. However, I completely understand your feelings, as I could not live with the authoring functions, due to their limitations. For me, Encore is the answer, but no longer available outside of PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 7:28 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

As you know, I am thinking about looking at Adobe Encore possibilities for using stop markers in Blu-ray disc exports or whatever feature in Encore that acts as a stop marker in that program.

Because of your experience with Adobe Encore, I am going to ask you a direct question to avoid any expectation misunderstanding on my side.

Example

Adobe Encore CS6

If I have 5 movies on the Timeline and I want the viewer to be able to access each of those movies separately by selecting its main menu thumbnail, can I set up the Timeline and disc menus to do that in Encore...either using Timeline Stop Markers (as we know them in Premiere Elements for DVD-VIDEO) or some other feature to act as a stop marker.between the movies in this Timeline destined for Blu-ray disc format on a Blu-ray Disc?

The second part of that direct question is can I have a separate scene menu for each of the 5 movies under these circumstances.

I am not asking for a how to, but rather is it possible. Play back of the Blu-ray would be via either a standalone Blu-ray player or an appropriate computer player.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 7:56 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Until CS 6, there was a limitation with BD (Blue-ray Disks), that might have stood in the way. That limitation was with Chapter Playlists. Encore had BD Playlists, but you are talking about Chapter Playlists here. You can do just what you want. The "Stop Markers" are then "End Actions," but they basically do the same thing.

I always construct my Projects, where each "chapter," or "scene" is a separate Timeine in En, and are edited that way in PrPro, but even with everything on one En Timeline, you can add Chapter Markers, and then with Chapter Playlists, can set up any navigation that you want.

In my case, with separate En Timelines, I used Playlists, which have worked in BD, from CS3, but now, one can do that with Chapter Playlists, that were, until recently, available only in DVD.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

So, now PRE11 is out, which I'm supposed to shell out another $79 for, and hey, the STOP markers actually work.  SO, that's $158 for a product that is marginally better than Toast.

While PRE11 has some improvements, its just as clear it is nothing more than a teaser to get you to buy the real product.  Which, one of these days, I may actually have to do.  I want to burn disks for a project that would have 4 movie clips (main menu style) on the first menu page, and 7 clips on a second menu page (Main Menu STYLE) - and there simply is no way to do it that I can find, even with editing menu PSD files, since it wants to use the SAME psd file for every main menu style page.  OR, I could try to make the scene menu page look like the main page - but that gets ugly real quick. 

There are no good alternatives.  Sony is playing the same game only worse.  I think that is what is so hard about this - having no choice, no alternatives, then dealing with products that don't necessarily work right and the only solution often is to wait to pay for the next version and hope your problem is fixed.

mgg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to mgg@mac.com

mgg

You definitely caught my attention with your latest post which I read as you saying that "....., STOP markers actually work." Please define

what you meant by that. Are you talking about Stop Markers for DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc or Blu-ray Disc Format on Blu-ray disc?

Stop markers have always worked in the playback of DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc. But Stop markers have NEVER work in the playback of Blu-ray Disc Format on Blu-ray disc OR AVCHD format on a DVD disc. The irony of your post is that the Premiere Elements 11 information from Adobe states for the first time (that I could ever find) that Stop markers are "DVD only".

Or are you referring to the number of Timeline markers that are supported for Timeline content? Now that is another story. Before Premiere Elements 11, if you put 25 Timeline markers on the Timeline and tried for the 26th, you would get a message from the program telling the user of the 25 Timeline marker limit. Premiere Elements 11 apparently has a problem in implimentation of that 25 Timeline marker limit. It lets you place Timeline markers in excess of 25 (I have added as many as 75 to test this). After placement of a 76th scene marker, there is no message from the program of any Timeline marker limit. The big however is that you do not end up with 75 scene thumbnails in the scene selection pages, just 25.

I have used Premiere Elements for several years and, in spite of some "considerations" here or there, I have found it to serve my video editing purposes well. I am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway, just a user of the program which gets my projects done successfully. I have not found as good an alternative.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 9:00 AM   in reply to dranle

I am using Premier Elements 11 and have the same problem with stop markers.  Do you know if Adobe has fixed this in Elements 12?  Do they have a response?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 9:13 AM   in reply to crankyuser1

Not fixed - they don't recognise it as a fault. Their documentation states that stop markers are for DVD only (regular, not AVCHD).

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 9:26 AM   in reply to crankyuser1

crankyuser1

I have already answered your question in your own new thread

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5982168#5982168

Again the answer is no fix which nealeh has opted to confirm here and later in your own new thread cited above here.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points