Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is 1080psf export possible from Premiere or AME?

Oct 17, 2011 9:47 PM

I'm exporting individual clips of EX-1 XDcam from a sequence, one clip at a time so I can also apply some level correction to the export. It is 23.967 psf at origin from the camera. I am exporting to ProRes HQ 23.967 1080p as reported by Premiere Pro 5.5.1. The time line is AJA 23.98 1080psf. The problem is that the exports are turning out to be true 1080p, not psf as the original. I'm using the clips in another program that does not create a 1080p timeline, Media 100 Suite 2.1 (latest version, came with the AJA 1080 LHi OEM board I'm using). Bottom line, is there a way to get  Premiere or AME to export a true 1080psf ProRes file? Psf is preferred in many applications. I don't see any mode select for psf, even though I am in a 1080psf timeline.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2011 9:29 AM   in reply to DMHP

I recall using Media 100.  My question to you is why would you prefer this over the vastly superior Premiere Pro?  Why not just edit the media right there in PP, instead of adding an effect and exporting to edit in another NLE?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 10:59 AM   in reply to DMHP

I do 1080PsF MOV exports to DVCPRO HD, which is only interlaced in the 1080 flavor. Premiere Pro actually ships with the encoder for DVCPRO HD, so maybe that's why it works there.

I'm on a PC, so I can't test ProRes, but you should be able to export 1080PsF to ProRes if it supports it. You may have to click on the "Codec Settings" button on the Video tab to expose any field order options pertinent to the codec you've selected. With DVCPRO HD, these are exposed directly in the Pr/AME interface since they're integrated with the application; third-party codecs like ProRes play by their own rules.

Good ol' Media 100--used that way back in college, and was probably the first NLE I used. It was a little quirky and limited (two tracks, if I recall, with a transition track!), but it was super-fast for the time and pretty easy to use. It blew the pants off the Media Composer Xpress systems in the lab at the time!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 12:02 PM   in reply to DMHP

Well, your XDCAM EX footage should be native 24p, ie. true progressive, if I'm understanding you correctly. Can you confirm that? If that's the case, you could potentially use Interpret Footage to actually introduce a field order that wasn't there in the first place. Drop that into a 24fps sequence that also has a matching field order, and then you could potentially export a 24PsF ProRes file from that sequence. It would be up to the M100 to interpret that correctly as PsF--what I'm suggesting is that it may not be possible to--in so many words--export a PsF video from Pr, but you can fake it.

This is all guesstimation since I can't replicate it here, as I'm Windows-based.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 12:04 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

your XDCAM EX footage should be native 24p

You sure about that?  Wikipedia lists the XDCAM formats as using PsF.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 12:12 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Wikipedia lists the XDCAM formats as using PsF.

No, it doesn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 12:26 PM   in reply to DMHP

Which flavor of XDCAM EX are you shooting, 1440x1080 or 1920x1080? The 1920x1080 stuff I have is progressive (don't have any of the lower bitrates to check). I don't think you can use the SDI feed as a gauge to what the recorded format does--that's a different ball of wax.

Even if it is PsF, if you want Pr to interpret it as interlaced, you'll have to specifically do that using Interpret Footage. There's no way to automatically circumvent this. That said, it all comes down to the export codec--if ProRes lets you do this, Pr should expose all those export settings in the Codec Settings dialog. When you select QuickTime as the format, you don't have all the usual field order options that you would with another/different format.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 12:46 PM   in reply to DMHP

I'll take your word for it. Those sounds like options for the SDI out, to me. The article you linked only discusses 25p and 29.97p, though, and you're referring to 24p (23.976p). Additionally, it's mostly focusing on AVCHD, and not XDCAM EX--very different critters.

The fact remains: Premiere Pro will interpret this as progressive automatically, not interlaced (e.g. PsF). If you want a PsF export, you'll have to find a codec that allows it--again, I don't know if ProRes does or does not--and set it up to do that. Pr and AME don't expose those field options directly with QuickTime, since it's sort of a bolt-on, so click the Codec Options button and see what's there.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 2:06 PM   in reply to DMHP

Hmm... how many times did I say that? Two? Three?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 2:12 PM   in reply to DMHP

Well, that's what Progressive Segmented Frame is all about--a progressive frame is "segmented" or broken into interlaced fields for transport and use on interlaced equipment.

Anyway, glad it worked!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 3:13 PM   in reply to DMHP

For what it's worth--and in case anyone else asks--did you modify the field order of the source footage, or just export from the progressive sequence to the PsF output?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 4:48 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Colin Brougham wrote:

Wikipedia lists the XDCAM formats as using PsF.

No, it doesn't.

"PsF became a means of initial image acquisition in professional Sony video cameras. It is employed in HDCAM and XDCAM video cameras..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_segmented_Frame

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2011 1:52 PM   in reply to DMHP

Where is the best place to report this behavior directly?

Feature Request and Bug Report Submission Form

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points