• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker Saves .WMF File to .GIF?

Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

My friend is using FrameMaker to creat a file then save the file as xml. Everything looked good except it seems that Frame automatically converts all the .wmf images in the same folder to .gif images, and it automatically updates all the <href> tags in the xml to reference to the newly generated .gif images.

We wondered if there is a  way to prevent this change (keep the original .wmf files and keep the <href> unchanged) when saving it as ".xml" file? Maybe there is somewhere in the setting we should look at?

Thanks a lot for the help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2011 Oct 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... Frame automatically converts all the .wmf images in the same folder to .gif images ...

This appears to be controlled by:

File > Utilities > HTML Setup

[ Options \... ]

File Format for Images:

(*) GIF  (_) JPEG  (_) PNG

with GIF being the default. How one controls the subsampling and compression is not known to me.

Presumably, generation of compliant XML implies that the graphics must all be in formats widely supported on the web (such as GIF, JPG, PNG or SVG). This would not include WMF, which is an MS Windows-specific format.

In a quick test (FM9), Frame appears to be re-saving and renaming any and all graphics as GIF (or other Option selected), even if the files are already in GIF, JPG, PNG or SVG form.

The further disappointing surprise in this is that Frame doesn't have an option for:
(_) SVG

Frame vector graphics get XML'd as bitmaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2011 Dec 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> File > Utilities > HTML Setup

> [ Options \... ]

> The further disappointing surprise in this is that Frame doesn't have an option for:

> (_) SVG

> Frame vector graphics get XML'd as bitmaps.

The SVG situation in Frame 7 and 9 appears to be depressing. Is FM10 any different? Any new Option(s) in the HTML Setup?

In FM7 & 9, an imported SVG vector art element (a simple polygon in my testing), does get rendered as vector to the PostScript (and thus also the PDF) path. That's actually impressive, as it suggests a sophisticated SVG to Vector Ps conversion is being done. Hopes are raised.

Hopes dashed. Saving to HTML or XML results in the output markup containing an HREF to a Frame-generated GIF raster (or JPG raster, or PNG raster, depending on the settings mentioned above).

This is the case even if the SVG is "copy into document" at import.

I can sort of understand why the HTML export might not include the raw SVG or a reference to it, as I understand there are several ways to do it, none really standardized in HTML.

But SVG is XML, and failing to reference it, or flow it into the Frame XML output, particularly in the copy-into case, is incomprehensible.

Unless this is fixed in FM10, it's little wonder that there are perhaps non-so-mythological "myths" that Frame isn't a real XML publishing tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> But SVG is XML, and failing to reference it, or flow it into the Frame XML output, particularly in the copy-into case, is incomprehensible. Unless this is fixed in FM10, it's little wonder that there are perhaps non-so-mythological "myths" that Frame isn't a real XML publishing tool.

Any word on whether this is fixed in FM11?

I would try it, but getting an XML image into the Test Drive workspace doesn't strike me as being easy, or perhaps even possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines