Skip navigation
geodash
Currently Being Moderated

How to Scribble like this?

Oct 19, 2011 9:09 AM

I am trying to figure out the best way to approach drawings like this? I have tried the scribble tool, but I cannot get the color changes within the scribble. Also, the text looks hand drawn and it has white around it. I would like to make drawings like this that appear to be hand drawn and filled in, all by hand. Does anyone have any sugesstions?

Scribblings.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2011 9:33 AM   in reply to geodash

You could have the white halo around the text and you could somehow imitate a vague impression of this in Illustrator by assigning a brush stroke to the scribble lines. But it will never look hand-made

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 9:37 AM   in reply to geodash

Why not just do it by hand and scan it in?

I reckon hand made is better than imitation hand made.

Specially if you want to keep that scruffy, uneven look.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 10:03 AM   in reply to geodash

yes, definitely

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 2:28 PM   in reply to geodash

They may be hand drawn and I think they are hand drawn, but you definitely can do that in Illustrator as well. What you cannot do is to merely hit one or two buttons in order to get that hand drawn on a sheet of paper impression. Thus, it's also a question about how many time, experiments and knowledge you're going to invest in order to create it in programmes like Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 3:11 PM   in reply to geodash

Not exactly the same, a painting program or Photoshop with a mixer brush can make the same effect, but in Illustrator you can try the bristle brushes. I just grabbed one of the default bristle brushes painted with a few colors and transparency and at the end added a texturizing effect.

Pencil-Illustrator.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 3:54 PM   in reply to geodash

You can do it with the scribble tool as well and with a a filter applied get a pretty good result.

Screen Shot 2011-10-19 at 6.51.51 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points