Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic updates management in Flash Player 11

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I know that with the latest 10 version the mms.cfg file is still the valid option to customize the automatic updates behavior (even if the new Control Panel applet's dedicated option is not greyed, I read the autoupdates are anyway blocked).

Is it the same with the 11 version? I have just installed it with the same mms.cfg file I used for 10, and still the Control Panel applet is not greyed...

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Hello all,

This issue has been fixed in version 11.1.102.55.

The 'Updates' section of the Control Panel, Advanced tab, will be disabled (greyed-out) when 'AutoUpdateDisable=1' (without quotes) is present in the mms.cfg file.

If you have a 32-bit OS, save the mms.cfg file in \Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash

If you have a 64-bit OS, save the mms.cfg file in \Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Karamatic,

There is no change to this section in Flash Player 11.  It functions the same as before.  The AutoUpdate directive in the mms.cfg file will over-write what displays in the Control Panel.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria - sorry: you have an official Adobe source stating this? not that I don't trust the answer, just for my knowledge.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I was mistaken.  I double-checked and, as for Flash Player 11, the Control Panel applet will reflect the AutoUpdate directive from the mms.cfg file.  If AutoUpdate is disabled, the Updates section of the Advanced tab should be disabled (greyed out) as well.

It could be that the latest version of the control panel is not installed.  What OS is this on?

Also, in the Control Panel 'Advanced' tab, can you tell me what version of Flash Player is installed?

Thank you in advance.

--

Maria

Flash Player Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I to and having the same issue.

I am trying to disable auto updates for Flash Player Active X and Plugn 11.0.1.152 on a Windows 7 x86 SP1 Pro machine.

I have created an mms.cfg file with Notepad++ saved it as UTF-8 encoding and added the following two lines to it:

AutoUpdateInterval=0

AutoUpdateDisable=1

When I go and browse a flash video on youTube and check to see if the setting has been disabled, the auto update is still enabled.

Please let me know if there is any other way to disable the autoupdate automatically (i.e. via the registry).

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TalonT wrote:

When I go and browse a flash video on youTube and check to see if the setting has been disabled, the auto update is still enabled.

Sorry, I do not understand how Youtube tells you if Autoupdate is enabled...?

What does the Control Panel applet tell you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned in your KB article http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/167/16701594.html when testing the mms.cfg file

Open a web page with Flash content to start Flash Player. A simple page with a single piece of Flash content is best, to minimize the network traffic in the packet sniffer log. The packet sniffer shows the auto-update request traffic to http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/

I went to youtube cause it has flash enabled content.

Control Panel applet is set to "Check for updates automatically (recommended)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification.

Question: where did you place your mms.cfg file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be the correct place for 32-bit systems.

Can I ask you to file a bug report at https://bugbase.adobe.com/ so the Adobe team can look at it?  Please try to give all relevant information, including the location of mms.cfg

It may also be useful to put a link to this forum topic.  When you're done, can you post back the link to your bug ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My case seems slighlty different. I have set the MMS.CFG file to disable autoupdates, and, sniffing packets, they do seem disabled (while if I enable them, always via the MMS.CFG, there are some packets pointing to Macromedia).

"Problem" is that the Flash player control panel applet has the "advanced\updates" tab not greyed out, and currently "check for updates automatically" is active (or, at this point, it just seems so, I would say).

WinXP x86, IE8, Flash ActiveX 11.0.1.152

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@fabio_s

When you created the mms.cfg file, in what character encoding did you save it in?

@TalonT,

You actually have conflicting directives in the mms.cfg file.

AutoUpdateInterval=0 tells Flash Player to check for an update every time it starts.

AutoUpdateDisable=1 disables Flash Player from checking for updates.

To disable AutoUpdate, you should only have AutoUpdateDisable=1

You said previously "The packet sniffer shows the auto-update request traffic to http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/",  Can you provide the entire URL that the request is going to?

I will investigate further after receiving this information.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have saved it in UTF-8, as it should be - AFAIK!

my file contains only one line with AutoUpdateDisable=1 and a carriage return.

Thanks,

fabio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confrming, fabio.

It appears the Control Panel applet is not reflecting the AutoUpdateDisable=1 directive if the mms.cfg is saved in UTF-8.  I have filed an internal bug for this issue.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2011 Oct 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Maria,

will you tell us here, if the issue is resolved? Thanky you very much in advance.

Angie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Angie,

I can update this thread when the issue (in the Control Panel applet) is resolved.

To clarify, the player is honoring the AutoUpdateDisable directive in the mms.cfg file, even though it's not displayed as being disabled in the Control Panel applet.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I would like to know why my flash player has not updated  to v. 11.0.1.152 although I have always had it set to auto-update. I have Windows 7 64 bit, IE 9. (I know about the 32/64 bit difference) Is this considered a bug? I found this while checking the settings on my user accounts after my security software detected a vulnerability with an older version embedded in a software program setup file. When I went to the Adobe site, I noticed the v. 11.0.1.152, and double-checked the Active X version installed on my system. It's 10.3.183.0. Can you tell me why it never updated despite the auto-update setting?.  Also, I hate to sound so obtuse, but if 10.3.183.0 is the "Active X version", what is the "Plug-in version?" In my settings, this says "Not Installed".  Thanks very much for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tergiversada5

your questions are of a different subject covered by this thread.  please start a new post to cover your specific questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a question regarding the 64-bit version of Flash Player 11.0.1.152 installed on 64-bit Windows 7.

Both these folders exist, and are updated when installing Flash Player.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

WHERE shall I put the mms.cfg?

In one of the folders (which one) or has it to be in both of them?

/Leif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leif:

Neither - Please see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/167/16701594.html

• Windows 64-bit -- C:\Windows\SysWOW64

I need to submit a feature request that allows these settings to be set via a transform for deployment via. GPO, just so there's not an extra file to deal with copying to different locations based on OS, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, the admin guide for Flash Player 10.1 indicated the control panel would show Auto Updates enabled even if you had it disabled in the mms.cfg file.  This isn't really a bug, but a different way to set this.  They detail how to test traffic to the update site, so if the new vesion doesn't show any traffic it would be safe to say this mms.cfg file still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2011 Nov 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have managed to disable the Flash 11 activeX by placing the mms.cfg in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

I use Win7 64bit and this seems to greyout the option when you rightclick in youtuve and select General settings.

MMS.CFG only contains:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

Also left the copy in  C:\Windows\SysWOW64 but this did not greyout the update option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I to and having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

This issue has been fixed in version 11.1.102.55.

The 'Updates' section of the Control Panel, Advanced tab, will be disabled (greyed-out) when 'AutoUpdateDisable=1' (without quotes) is present in the mms.cfg file.

If you have a 32-bit OS, save the mms.cfg file in \Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash

If you have a 64-bit OS, save the mms.cfg file in \Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines