Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player 11 constantly crashing on every Website with Flashcontent...

Oct 7, 2011 1:39 AM

Tags: #flash #plug-in #flash_player #flash_player_11

Hi,

I am having problems with the latest Update of Adobe Flash Player to release 11. I am on a Mac(10.6.8) running the 64bit kernel. At the moment I installed Flash Player 11, every Website with Flashcontent is crashing. This also happens in Chrome, not only Safari or Firefox. I did everything Adobe provides as possible solutions. Do an uninstall with the uninstaller, then install fresh. I had a look in both of the Internet Plugins folder to make sure everything got removed correctly. But the new install won't work.

What works is uninstalling Flash Player 11 and installing Flash Player 10.3 again. Everything works like a charm then. Well... except in Chrome of course.

Just as a last bit of information: I never had any beta or alpha versions of the player installed.

Can anyone please help me? Does anyone else encounter this problem?

Regards

Alex

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 7, 2011 2:10 AM   in reply to astefanosstefas

I have the same problem with Mac OS X (10.7.1) , it constantly crashes on every website with Flash content in any browser I tried. Adobe, any comments??

P.S. Downgrade to 10.3 helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 2:18 PM   in reply to aylarov

It may be your video card.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 5:40 PM   in reply to aylarov

can you post your system overview information?  also state your Graphics/Display information.  ii'm wondering if it is harware specific.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2011 5:01 PM   in reply to astefanosstefas

Hi guys,

this has been dealt with specifically on several posts on teh web, including the officil spec list on the features page of the flash 11 update (known issues).

Flash player is not working with some macs due to driver issues, hence it will work with windows on the mac.

Adobe has flagged it to Apple and request they prioritise a fix for it hwoever Apple has said it is a low priority and wont be addressed - they ar once again doing everything they can NOT to help.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 1:31 PM   in reply to astefanosstefas

Here is the one from Adobe

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/919/cpsid_91932.html

Known Issues

Stage 3D

• Mac: On Mac OS X, hardware accelerated rendering is not supported on Intel GMA, ATI Radeon x1600, and ATI Radeon 2400 cards.
    • Stage3D uses the integrated GPU on MacBook Pro’s with Intel i7 or i5 processors (2943979).
    • Hardware accelerated rendering is not supported on VIA chipsets.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 10:25 AM   in reply to astefanosstefas

we've tested several of the same machine that you have and are having difficulty reproducing the crashes you are experiencing.

when do the Standalone players crash?  at launch? or when content is loaded?

would you mind to forward me your crash logs from Firefox?  if you type about:crashes in the address bar it will list your crashes.  please send me the ones prepended with "bp-"  these are the ones that were submitted to Mozilla.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 11:50 AM   in reply to astefanosstefas

thank alex.  i'll see if dev can see anything obvious in the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 1:08 PM   in reply to astefanosstefas

Sorry, that is just the adobe one.

I have read lots of these in my travels over the past couple of days - ALL of which are relating to MAC and the drivers for the GPU cards.

I can not see any reason at all why the flash player would crash on your system between the two players other than GPU issues. Especially since it is the primary variation is known

to be the cause.

I would suggest installing a virtual machine - windows etc, as this has been shown to work, if it is indeed successful then you know you need to speak to Apple about keeping up to date with their drivers.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 4:43 PM   in reply to astefanosstefas

alex_  from the Mozilla crash-stat link you provided, we think the issue is in the area of font loading.  can you let use know what system language you have on and a list of fonts you have on your system?  our dev is looking at it more closely, but it would be great if we could reproduce the issue. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2011 10:55 AM   in reply to astefanosstefas

thanks again alex.  i'm going to ask the others for their list and see if there's anything in common.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 3:13 PM   in reply to astefanosstefas

Alex,

Are you able to tell me where the following fonts in your users fonts directory came from?

KozGoPr6N-Bold-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPr6N-ExtraLight-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPr6N-Heavy-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPr6N-Light-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPr6N-Medium-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPr6N-Regular-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-Bold-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-ExtraLight-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-Heavy-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-Light-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-Medium-AlphaNum.ttf

KozGoPro-Regular-AlphaNum.ttf

Also, I am curious as to whether other users who have experienced this issue have them in one of their fonts folders as well.

I am asking because I am the one who built the OTF (*.otf) versions of these fonts (and without the "-AlphaNum" string in the name), and this is the first time I have seen TTF versions of them. It is unclear as to whether these fonts are the cause of the problem, but I am sure that they can be safely removed. And, if you don't mind, please send them to me (at "lunde@adobe.com") so that I can inspect them. I am curious where they came from.

Thanks...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 3:50 PM   in reply to astefanosstefas

Alex,

Just to let you know that Adobe Flash engineering team have been trying to reproduce your crash very hard, more than five people tried for several days since you reported, but no luck to see the crash even once. It's very hard to investigate yoru issue if we can not reproduce internally. Any hints for us to reproduce your crash is highly appreicated. (we've already read all your info in this thread)

By the way all crash isn't necessary same and it need to be distinguished by data in crash log. Other people's crash can be completely different from yours and caused by different reason. We want to track your issue in this thread.

thanks,

Hitomi

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 4:51 PM   in reply to astefanosstefas

Alex,

I look forward to receiving those fonts. A couple things to try are as follows:

• Nuke the font cache files that are used by Adobe applications by executing the following command in the Terminal application: % rm ~/Library/Caches/Adobe*/*/AdobeFnt*.lst (you can use "% ls ~/Library/Caches/Adobe*/*/AdobeFnt*.lst" to see them first).
    • Remove, either temporarily or permanently, those questionable TTFs.

-- Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 5:53 PM   in reply to astefanosstefas

Many thanks, Alex, for providing the fonts to me. I am not on the Flash team, but am in Type Development, thus my interest in fonts, and my experience that "unknown" fonts may be malformed. I am using a MacBook Pro 17-inch running Mac OS X 10.6.8. I installed the fonts into my ~/Library/Fonts folder, and Flash now crashes on a regular basis. Attached is a screenshot of what I am experiencing in Chrome. So, if you simply remove the KozGo*.ttf files (use "% rm ~/Library/Fonts/KozGo*.ttf" to remove them), the problem may go away.crash.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 8:29 PM   in reply to astefanosstefas

Alex,

Thank you for sharing your thought. I appreciate your time and effort to report the crash and your help to investigate our product isuse. Honestly speaking there are many differnt type of Flash Player crash exist. We know that as fact from browser vendor's crash report. We know customers are suffering from the crash issues. However almost all crashers are not reproducible for us even we try hard. We really need customer's (like your) help to track down those issues one by one. My mission in Flash Runtime engineering team is to engage with customers (again like you) through multiple channeles inlcuding this forum.

If you see people who encounter Flash Player crash, please ask them to report us with their crash log so we can at least tell what kind of crash it is from crash signture. Then we can try figure out how to reproduce. Unless we see crash log we can't tell one crash is same or different with another one.

Thank you for all your help!

Hitomi

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 6:08 AM   in reply to astefanosstefas

Alex,

Thank you for confirming that removing these 12 TTFs solved the problem. If you copy only one of these 12 TTFs back into your ~/Library/Fonts/ directory, you will start to experience this issue again. In other words, this specific issue has nothing to do with the Adobe font cache files.

I just inspected these fonts, and the problem is in their 'name' tables, specifically that they are missing crucial strings, specifically name.IDs 1 (Font Family name) and 4 (Full Family name). These fonts include only name.IDs 2 (Font Subfamily name), 3 (Unique font identifier), 5 (Version string), and 6 (Postscript name for the font). In fact, if you use the Mac OS X "Font Book" application to validate these fonts, it will state that the 'name' table is problematic, and that the fonts should not be used.

Please keep us posted about other customers you know who are experiencing this issue. One way to identify potentially problematic fonts is to use the Mac OS X "Font Book" application.

-- Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 8:36 AM   in reply to astefanosstefas

Alex,

While I certainly cannot speak for the Flash Runtime team, because I am on the Type Development team, it seems that a prudent measure would be to check for, and guard against, malformed fonts.

On the customer side, there is some measure of responsibility to not use such fonts, and leveraging proven tools, such as the Mac OS X "Font Book" application, specifically its function for checking the integrity of installed fonts, would be something I would strongly suggest.

-- Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 8:02 PM   in reply to Ken Lunde

I removed 123B9A_0.ttf from my /library/font/ folder and flash works perfectly now.

I have emailed the font to adobe to look at, hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 9:38 PM   in reply to astefanosstefas

Removing bad fonts resolved the problem!! So happy!

Using Mac OS X "Font Book" application, selected File / Validate Fonts

Removed any fonts that did not pass as safe to use

Yes!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 7:28 PM   in reply to astefanosstefas

I have noticed that the fonts issue has found an entirely new bug - this is insane - the fonts are no longer being recognizd when published from flash. so if i export a font from flash with actionscript, it shows up until I restart flash, I then have to go in and remove those fonts, re-insert those fonts and republish for them to be seen.

There appears to be a serious issue with fonts.

I do not understand why Adobe and Flash have never been able to sort out their fonts - having used flash from the start it blows my mind the fact that every edition you promise to sort out fonts, create something entirely new every edition and fail every edition.

TLF is from hell.

Guys - take the time, put in the effort, and make one final, concerted effort to fix fonts.

The reality is that to get fonts working you need a degree in philosophy, masters in physics, Doctoroate in Linguistics - its ridiculous.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2011 12:53 PM   in reply to zx3cv1zx30vzx23c01v3zxc21

It would be useful to know which specific fonts are being affected by the issue that you described. Keep in mind that fonts are developed by many companies and individuals, in different formats, and using different tools. It represents a variable no doubt, but most font-related issues can be traced to a genuine issue in the affected fonts. The more useful details you provide to us, the greater the chances that we can figure out what is going on.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2011 2:38 PM   in reply to Ken Lunde

Any font. Arial in this instance.

I simply have to unclick and then re-click the export font dialogue in the actionscript tab in the font properties from the library.

I will be taking the fonts out and creating a dynamic loading library - so dont worry about me - but for others WOW.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points