• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for Apple iCloud Photostream?

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2011 Oct 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will LR support importing directly from Apple's Photostream in the future rather than having to export from iPhoto, then import into LR?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't tend to answer questions about future features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there has been no announcement then?

I really hope it happens soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since LR is cross-platform, my guess is that answer would be "no" anyway, but I have no actual information and, like I said, Adobe doesn't pre-announce future features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photostream is also cross-platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh.  I had never heard of it before and since it was from Apple, I assumed it was Apple-only like most of their stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's part of the iCloud service recently launched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it on Wikipedia.  I hadn't heard of it before, but regardless Adobe doesn't pre-announce Lightroom features so there's no telling if LR 4 will support it or not whenever it happens to come out.  And doesnt' Adobe's own Carousel compete with it?  I don't pay a lot of attention to all the hundreds of "cloud" services out there.  Maybe a plugin author will support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cricky where you been hiding not to of heard of it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eh, I think it's a little bit more important than just another Cloud service!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah...okay, I'll take your word for it.  I don't pay a lot of attention to the cloud services because limited bandwidth makes them impractical, and since I don't use Apple software or hardware, I pay even less attention to their announcements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you thinking for your library, or for the images?

My library is only 3.7Gb, so that is only a 2-3 hour download on a 10Mbit line, on an upload that will be 4 times as long.

Also the libraries are very bloated, once zipped they are ±10% of that size, so would the clould zip the library?

Then would the cloud make a zip copy on your computer, compare it with the zipped cloud in the sky and send the differences?

I agree with imacken, its not a simple process, its fine for the odd doc, or iphone shot photo, but not so simple for LR.

It would be more interesting to see if a company like Super Duper or other backup software companies offer a cloud service, rather than just a basic online backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2011 Oct 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Library(Catalog) needs to be connected to you computer (not on a network) since it requires constant fast read /write for every thing you do in Lightroom. Not an option. Could be an option for the actual photofiles provided the "auto write to XMP" is not checked.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Hamish, I am completely lost.

What I am talking about is Lightroom having built-in access to Photostream so that the images can be imported (and saved to my folder structure via LR) directly into my library rather than having to export from iPhoto and import into LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hamish niven wrote:

Are you thinking for your library, or for the images?

My images are 1.8TB, which for me means a 150 day upload 24 hours a day.  Not practical, to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm asking again, what does this have to do with my original question?  I'm not talking about transfering Libraries to the cloud.  Why are we on this topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imacken wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will LR support importing directly from Apple's Photostream in the future rather than having to export from iPhoto, then import into LR?

So we all commented based on this question - see above

then

imacken wrote:

Sorry Hamish, I am completely lost.

What I am talking about is Lightroom having built-in access to Photostream so that the images can be imported (and saved to my folder structure via LR) directly into my library rather than having to export from iPhoto and import into LR.

Where are you importing the photos into iPhoto from? you iPhone? your camera?

You can use watch folders to automatically sync from folders, so would that save you exporting from iPhoto and importing to LR? I don't use iPhoto...

imacken wrote:

I'm asking again, what does this have to do with my original question?  I'm not talking about transfering Libraries to the cloud.  Why are we on this topic?

Because you did not explain what you meant, so people wondered if you were referring to photographs that they'd taken and then them being sent into the cloud as a photostream - which is not practical as myself and others have intimated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorrry, I have explained what I meant, but I think that maybe you guys don't understand what Photostream is.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your comments suggest that you are not aware of Photostream as part of Apple's iCloud service.

Message was edited by: imacken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oic, the communication between phone /iPhone and iCloud.

I've turned mine off after my service provider for my phone had kittens as icloud consumed about 1Gb of my monthly data and cost me a bomb.

Remember its Apple and Adobe you are talking about, they are not best of friends....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photostream only works over wi-fi, so no cellular data usage at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imacken wrote:

Sorrry, I have explained what I meant, but I think that maybe you guys don't understand what Photostream is.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your comments suggest that you are not aware of Photostream as part of Apple's iCloud service.

I guess I don't know what that means.  If you don't upload your images there, how do they get there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html if you are not familiar with it.

Every photo from your mobile devices and cameras is automatically streamed to ALL your devices - mobile, desktops, laptops, TV etc.

They are viewable in Windows in the Photostream folder, and on a Mac currently within iPhoto which has a Photostream option.  However, ANY application can use the Apple API to incorporate Photostream, and my original question was simply to ask if anyone knew when or if Adobe would build this into Lightroom.

This would be incredibly helpful as currently - as I have said a couple of times now - the images have to be exported from iPhoto's library to a folder and then imported in to LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also add, if you're not familiar with it, that PS is not a permanent storage area. It's like a holding tank for images until you decide what to do with them.  They are only stored for 30 days or up to 1000 images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imacken wrote:

Every photo from your mobile devices and cameras is automatically streamed to ALL your devices - mobile, desktops, laptops, TV etc.

I don't take photos with "mobile devices" and none of my cameras are in any way hooked to cell or wifi networks.  All my images are on my computer on a hard drive and Lightroom has cataloged them through the import process.  So to get my images to "photostream", I'd have to upload them somehow.

I think you're asking for a procedure whereby your images automatically get to this Apple service through their own methods and then Lightroom automatically downloads them from the Apple service through the import window.  Again, I have no information, but I can't see why Adobe would support that natively when there are so many other similar services including at least two of their own that aren't yet supported natively in Lightroom (Photoshop.com and Carousel).  Maybe a plugin author will support it at some point.  Like I told you originally, Adobe isn't likely to pre-announce new features before they become available so there's no way to answer your original question, "will LR support importing directly from Apple's Photostream in the future".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee, I didn't ask if you took photos with a mobile device.  It's not relevant whether you do or not.  The fact is that this relates to DSLRs as well. They are after all, mobile devices.  For a DSLR, a large number of people transfer to their laptops, and that is where Photostream comes into play. All your recently taken images are automatically streamed to all your devices.

Like you, all my images are on one of my computers on a hard drive and Lightroom has catalogued them through the import process.  It is that import process that I was asking about in the first place!!!  As I mentioned above, Photostream is a holding tank, not a permanent storage facility.

Honestly, I think this thread is going nowhere as you guys are not familiar with the Photostream facility.

I'll wait and see if there are developments.

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines