Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Getting help without AIR for CS5.5

Oct 24, 2011 10:57 AM

So... the org I work for disables AIR at an enterprise level. As in, automated search bots scan your machine at night and delete AIR while you're not looking. Plus, we aren't allowed admin rights to reinstall such dangerous software...

At any rate, long story short is that NOW (too late) I realize that AIR is required to run the stupid Adobe Help app that Flash and all the other Suite apps rely on as I can no longer launch the Help app at all!

Is there any way for me to specify that all Adobe apps use external browser help and/or local help? IT dude is busy seeing if he can find a copy of AIR to install that matches the specs on the one from the CS5.5 suite he installed. Because, you know, naturally it's not allowed to just reinstall AIR without installing over something in the Suite again. But I am hoping there is a more elegant solution?

Thanks in advance...

(BTW, congratulations to the engineers on this one--another defeat ripped from the jaws of victory! In CS4, this used to be a simple setting in the Extensions area of Flash that allowed easy enabling of local help only...)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 24, 2011 11:56 AM   in reply to heavyboots

Hi: Help should display in you default system browser if the AIR client is not available. And if the network is closed or not available, it should default to local help.

If you prefer, you can manually download either the HTML or PDF versions of the Help packages here: http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for- creative-suite-5-pdf-and-html.html

You can use the HTML or PDF as a stand-alone package or you can place them in the following locations/directories for full compatibility with your CS5.5 application:

MAC OSX: /[username]/Library/Preferences/chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8CE.1 / Local Store / Help / en_US /

Windows: %appdata%/chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8CE.1 / Local Store / Help / en_US /

One more thing: your IT contact should review this technote on manually configuring Help for closed network environments - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/849/cpsid_84992.html

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 4:02 PM   in reply to heavyboots

Hi Eric,

I work with Mark at Adobe. I'll need to get an AIR-less install of Flash CS5.5 set up and then I'll see if I can help. I'll be in contact directly.

Regards,

John Francis

Adobe Systems, Inc.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 4:26 PM   in reply to heavyboots

Hi Eric,

Are you working with Flash 5.5 in online or offline mode with respect to the help?

Thanks!

John Francis

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2011 7:34 AM   in reply to heavyboots

Hi Eric,

Still looking into this.

Thanks!

John Francis

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2011 9:20 AM   in reply to heavyboots

Hi Eric,

We're escalating this to the help engineering team. Stay tuned and thanks for your patience!

John Francis

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2011 10:54 AM   in reply to heavyboots

Hi Eric,

We're still looking into this, but I thought I'd provide my test findings.

1. I began by nuking my chc.REALLYLONGID local store folder.
    2. I then installed Flash CS5.5, ran the CHC and downloaded all of the available help packages.
    3. I verified that your test cases were working in the online environment with CHC enabled.
    4. I then disconnected my PC from the network and tried the Actions Panel online help. One thing I notice is that launching the CHC was very sluggish. However, all of my tests launched to the correct package->class->method|property in the CHC, including your test cases.
    5. Next, I uninstalled AIR and reran my Actions Panel tests. Again, launching the browser in response to a help command was very sluggish. I also noticed that the browser would only open a particular package rather than scrolling to the appropriate method|property within that package.

Again, I've reported my findings as well as yours to our CHC engineering team. If you notice anything else be sure to let me know.

Thanks!

John Francis

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 3:53 PM   in reply to heavyboots

Hi Eric,

Got some info from our dev team. As far as the performance goes, they're looking into it (don't know if you had that problem actually). Regarding the anchors: apparently they're busted in IE and Chrome (they didn't seem to work for me in Firefox either). They should be working in Safari (but I don't know if you can install alternate browsers in your environment). That's a known bug which has been fixed in the current development cycle and should be deployed in November's ASR release.

Regarding the errors and missing classes packages, what I would do (and I know it's a pain) is nuke your entire %appdata%/chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8CE.1/ folder. I'd then install AIR (temporarily, obviously), and re-run the CHC. You should then download all of the available packages again. Make sure they've finished downloading and extracting (which for the platform ASR can take some time). That should give you a nice fresh help installation. Once everything's integrated, test a few help references in the ActionsPanel using the CHC and make sure things are working as you expect. You can then uninstall AIR and make sure the browser is working (as well as it can be at this point).

I'll keep an eye on this issue and let you know when an updated platform ASR is available.

Thanks very much for your patience and don't hesitate to contact me if you have further issues.

Regards,

John Francis

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points