Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

The Folio Builder panel, design-wise...

Oct 22, 2011 2:55 PM

Part of my job is to teach routined InDesign users how to build Folio's. Most of them do quite well, after their initial confusion with the Interaction panels ("which do and which don't work with ADPS"). But the panel they fear most, is definitely the Folio Builder. Not even because of its casual malfunctioning (that's my nightmare as a trainer), but mainly because of its design and cosmetics. The panel sports a well-know and trusted appearance, but it's a devil in disguise.

It begins with logging-in. "No, you can't click the bull's-eye, it's just a mysterious indicator." It would be much more obvious if it looked like a led (red or green) or if it had some useful interaction to it - letting you log in/out perhaps...

Next, the three-tiered views are not clear enough. When I show them the image below, and tell them how their workflow moves from left to right and from right to left (from "Account" to "Folio" to "Article" to "Layout" and v.v.) they immediately 'get it'. And after warning them that the navigational elements on top of the panel are quite clueless (what to hit, to go where to), and that you're often thrown back from Layout to Folio (skipping Article), they're in charge and on guard. Finally, I tell them that the "New" button magically changes its functionality in each level ("wait for the pop-up!"). It is highly unusual that a side menu shows and hides certain commands in each level. It should list ALL associated commands, and show momentarily unavailable ones grayed out.

This all wouldn't be necessary if the panel would be a bit more self-explanatory. I hope this rant helps to improve its design.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 22, 2011 3:48 PM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

very good. these all need to be addressed. the experience of the folio

builder panel is bad... I have so many ideas of a redesign in my mind, but

I'm not in charge. maybe this thread can turn into a design ideaas for the

Panel.

good start, Peter!

(mobil gesendet)

Am 23.10.2011 00:30 schrieb "Peter Villevoye" <forums@adobe.com>:

Re: The Folio Builder panel, design-wise...  created by Peter Villevoye<http://forums.adobe.com/people/Peter+Villevoye>in

Digital Publishing Suite - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/3985568#3985568>

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2011 7:24 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Looking for advice on logging in to the Folio Builder. Error: [svr.Unknown]

Do I need more than a 'normal' Adobe account? (is there a publishing group I need to belong to?)

Thanks in advacne for help/advice - self learning this in Malaysia.

Cheers,

Ev

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2011 5:51 AM   in reply to EvBurk

Have you updated all tools to the most recent version? Do you have a verified Adobe account?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2011 6:12 AM   in reply to EvBurk

to make sure your account works with DPS log into

digitalpublishing.Acrobat.com. then a few flags might be set, but in fact

there is no special trick or group.

—Johannes

(mobil gesendet)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2011 7:17 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thanks to you both,

I do have an account (I can log into the DigitalPublishing site, as well as the general Adobe site)

I am running CS5 and have updated with:

AdobeDigitalPublishing-All.dmg   as well as

AdobeDigitalPublishing-Tools.dmg

All of the DP panels open and the features work, still trouble loggin in.

Maybe there's another patch or update that I'm needing?

Thanks again,

Ev

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2011 7:55 PM   in reply to EvBurk

Just double checked, have not installed the "FolioPanel.dmg" although I can open the panel, so will retry.

And that fixed it!

Thanks for the patience and help.

Ev

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 3:53 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

To Johannes Henseler,

"I have so many ideas of a redesign in my mind, but

I'm not in charge. maybe this thread can turn into a design ideaas for the

Panel".

USERS SPEAK UP LET ADOBE KNOW

Regards

Vividi

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 2:48 PM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Feel free to openly discuss any improvements or behavior changes you'd like to see made to the folio builder panel. We value comments and suggestions from people actively using the products in the field. I have several usability improvements I'd like to see made to the panel, it just becomes a tradeoff between increasing stability, usability and new features. Input on these forums does get listened to and acted on.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)