Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Expression Engine Tags - Curly Braces - Curly Brackets - Acceptable Tag Characters

Oct 14, 2011 10:58 AM

Tags: #tags #dreamweaver #extension #extensions #tag #dreamweaver_cs5.5 #expression_engine_tags #curly_braces #curly_brackets #acceptable_tag_characters #curly

I have tried everything I can think of to accomplish this task. I would like to replace the '<' and '>' tag chacters with '{' and '}' characters for use in developing Expression Engine tags, color coding, and code hints. I am able to "somewhat" achieve this through the use of code hinting with a complex list of options, but every time I attempt to change the tag prefix to '<' or '&#123;' nothing happens. I can't get DW to recognize the tags and execute. I have also tried building objects and using them. I can get this to work by building them and getting them placed in the 'Insert' toolbar, but I can't get them to populate or execute in code view with the curly brackets.

ANY and all help on this would be appreciated. It seems like such a simple task, yet it is presenting itself to be a major pain.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2011 10:36 AM   in reply to bmallett74

bmallett74 wrote:

I have tried everything I can think of to accomplish this task. I would like to replace the '<' and '>' tag chacters with '{' and '}' characters for use in developing Expression Engine tags, color coding, and code hints. I am able to "somewhat" achieve this through the use of code hinting with a complex list of options, but every time I attempt to change the tag prefix to '<' or '&#123;' nothing happens. I can't get DW to recognize the tags and execute. I have also tried building objects and using them. I can get this to work by building them and getting them placed in the 'Insert' toolbar, but I can't get them to populate or execute in code view with the curly brackets.

ANY and all help on this would be appreciated. It seems like such a simple task, yet it is presenting itself to be a major pain.

Dreamweaver is an HTML/XML tag parser, so it only natively recognizes tags delimited with '<' and '>'. You can write some Translators to preprocess curly braces (or any other server-side markup) before DW parses the HTML markup. Try taking a look at some of the other Server Model implementations.

Hope this helps,

Randy

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2011 8:03 AM   in reply to bmallett74

Brian,

Take a look at this section in the Extending Dreamweaver doc. I guess they're referred to as "Data Translators" here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/extend/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e 63e3d117f53d8d96-7ff8.html

Also, be sure to look at the ones already implemented in the Configuration/Translators folder.

Regards,

Randy

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points