Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quiz Results Analyzer w/Internal Server

Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I've stumbled on a serious bug with the Quiz Results Analyzer, but want to throw this out in case someone can identify an error on my end.

I'm using the Captivate 5 trial, and have created a quiz to test the various new tracking options available. I published one version of it to send results to Acrobat.com, and another version to send results to one of my web servers.

Using the Quiz Results Analyzer to view results on Acrobat.com -- everything works great. However, it misbehaves when I try to pull results from a server on the web. Baffled at this point, I published a third version of my test project to my local WAMP server. Again, the XML results files get written perfectly by Captivate. But, the Results Analyzer won't show the data.

Here's what I see in the Adobe Captivate Quiz Results Analyzer:

After selecting my server and clicking the 'Get Results' button, the Organization, Department and Course dropdowns appear blank. If I click on anyone of those dropdowns I find each of them populated with some CSS stylesheet elements.

For example, font-size:36px......font-weight:bolder......color:#666666......text-align:center.......margin-right:auto

analyzer_trouble.gif

My System Details

Now, since I know the Analyzer is an AIR application, I suppose I might mention some system details.

I'm running Win7 x64, have the full CS5 Master Suite installed, and my installed version of AIR is 2.0.2.12610.

Another Troubleshooting Attempt

I've been able to confirm that the XML data is fine by choosing "From This Computer" in the Source menu and navigating to a local version of the results folder. The Results Analyzer functions as it should in that particular case.

I'd really like to get this working, and wonder if anyone else has seen the odd behavior I'm seeing.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is strange. Can you please check if you have placed the internalserverread.php file in the root of the wamp server? Also, the link to this PHP file has to be added in the preferences of Quiz Results Analyzer.

Regards

Chinmay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2010 Jul 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope you can help out on this one?

I get the following error in the Quiz analyzer. "No Companies found in the current user account." 

In the Quiz Analyzer under "Preferences" in the text field "Link" I have written "http://nannabrosolat.dk/quiz/CaptivateResults". 

Has taken the quiz once and can see that there is created a folder "CaptivateResults". In the "CaptivateResults" is a folder with the company name that I wrote when I created the quiz. So it seems that I am doing everything correctly or?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lbj9000 --

I got sidetracked last week and haven't tried again using a real server (out on the web), but I did managed to get it working using my desktop installation of WAMP as the server.

Chinmay's post revealed a critical element you seem to also be missing: the PHP file to be accessed needs to be in the URL you specify in the Quiz Results Analyzer's Preferences panel. You have to specify the full path to Adobe's stock PHP file: internalserverread.php.  (I made the mistake of assuming the Analyzer already knew which PHP file it was looking for.  For example, mine is now working when I use the following URL: http://localhost/trainlocal/internalserverread.php

I'm sure they didn't hardcode the reference to that internalserverread.php file because they wanted to leave open the option for you to create your own PHP file if you want/need to.

A tutorial file Adobe included with Captivate 5 was helpful. Check your system for this file or maybe just copy/paste the following URL into your browser to view the steps involved in getting Alternate Reporting to work.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5\cp_tutorials\htmls\18_Alternate_Reporting.html

Hope that helps!

-- Randall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello RTC2010

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately I still get the same error: "No Companies found in the current user account."

The Quiz writes resultdata to the folder. It has created a folder named: http://nannabrosolat.dk/quiz/CaptivateResults

In that folder is a folder that has the company name I entered when I created the quiz. At the bottom of the folder structure is some xml files which I assume is the quiz data.

In the Quiz analyzer in the text field "Link" I have written:
http://nannabrosolat.dk/quiz/internalserverread.php

Kind Regards
Lasse Brosolat Jensen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have you placed the internalserverread.php at the same location, which you have mentioned in the link?

Regards

Chinmay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chinmay Baid  

Yes I have placed it here: http://nannabrosolat.dk/quiz/internalserverread.php

Kind Regards

Lasse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lasse,

This message "No Companies found in the current user account", is thrown in case if any IOError or any SecurityError is encountered.

Following information will be helpful to resolve this problem :

1. Can you please check the access permissions/connectivity on this server, from where you are trying to read the data?

2. Can you mention which server are you using? Is it a unix-based or windows-based server?

3. If it is a unix-based server, can you check the permissions set for every folder?

Regards

Chinmay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chinmay

internalserverread.php, internalServerReporting.php and all folders in “CaptivateResults” have following permissions:

Owner permission: Read, Write, Execute

Groups permission: Read, Execute

Public permission: Read, Execute

The XML files in the bottom folder in “CaptivateResults” have following permissions:

Owner permission: Read, Write

Groups permission: Read

Public permission: Read

It is a Unix server. But at work we are using Windows/Asp.net. So I am planning to convert the files to c#.

Any way.

When I run the script-pages “outside” Captivate I get error with “internalserverread.php” but “internalServerReporting.php ” works fine.

http://nannabrosolat.dk/quiz/internalserverread.php Error
http://nannabrosolat.dk/quiz/internalServerReporting.php Works fine

On another webhotel it is the same:

http://www.loppen.com/quiz/quiz/internalserverread.php Error
http://www.loppen.com/quiz/quiz/internalServerReporting.php Works fine

Kind regards

Lasse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lasse,

Thanks for sharing the information!!

Ideally, no error should occur with the access permissions that you have mentioned.

Can you please send us the details of the unix server configuration as well the PHP version installed on your server? Using all this information, we'll try to simulate and identify the issue at our end.

Regards

Chinmay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick responses.

The webhotel i am using is: http://www.one.com/en/. Php version is 5.

Maybe you can give me some specific questions about the unix server configuration, sorry im not a unix guy, I will then send them to the webhotels support.

Kind regards

Lasse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chinmay

There is a controlpanel on the webhotel were i can:
Turn on/off: PHP error messages --> It is set to Off

Turn on/off: Register globals --> It is set to Off

It is also posible export log files --> Let me know if I should send you some?

The other webhotel I mentioned earlier. There the quiz will not write quizdata(XML) to the server. I can also provide you with information on that server/webhotel?

Kind regards and thanks for the help.

Lasse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lasse,

Thanks again for sharing the information!!

We seem to have found the solution while debugging. And we have made some changes the internalserverread.php file to work with Unix server.

Can you please share your email-id, so that I can send you the fixed PHP file?

My e-mail id is : cbaid@adobe.com.

Regards

Chinmay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chinmay

Thanks - it is working now.

Have a good summer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chinmay -

Can you tell me what was wrong? I'm getting the same problem when I press Get Results in the Analyzer, a window appears saying "No compaines found in the current user account." I read about making sure the permissions correct, but where do I do that?

And - at the end of the quiz when I enter in my information after pressing Post Results, "Connecting..." appears on top of my project, that just sits there. I assume it's trying to connect to the server, but it never connects. I don't get the window saying the results have posted successfully.

So what am I doing wrong?

• Under preferences in Analyzer I have my link to the InternalServerRead.php file.
  • In my project under Quiz Preferences, and the Internal Settings I have the link to the internalServerReporting.php file
  • I watched the tutorial (18 - Alternate Reporting) and followed those directions. I created a trainlocal folder, published my Captivate project to a folder within the trainlocal folder. The PHP files are in the trainlocal folder also.
  • The server I have is located on our network, not on my local computer.
  • I have not changed either PHP file, bc I don't know how or what I would do.
  • I'm on Windows 7 - 32 bit.
  • I have tried reporting to Acrobat.com and it worked fine.

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The above post was related to unix servers. Can you please mention the details of the server which you're using?

Regards

Chinmay Baid

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2010 Nov 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I got it...but I thought I'd post my results in case anyone else is following this thread....

The analyzer wouldn't give me results if I published it, viewed the output, took the quiz and tried to submit the results. I had to go to the server and access the project, and take the quiz that way for the results to appear in the analyzer. I don't know if that is common knowledge, but I didn't know that, so if you are having this problem also, try going to the server to access your project. Once I did that, it worked.

Per the tutorial (in the Program Files of Adobe Captivate), the results from the quiz should go to the analyzer but it didn't for me, maybe security reasons?? It should be noted that whenever I was trying to get a quiz to report with email, it would never work when I "Viewed Output" after publishing the project. I would always have to post it to our internal site and access it through the web. So maybe whatever is causing me to not use an email was also causing the results not to be posted. Who cares, it works now.

Chinmay - I don't think I need your help anymore. I don't really care that it doesn't work when viewing the output. As long as it works is all I care about. But thank you for responding to me so quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent an email the other day inquiring about these changes and the file. Is it possible you share the file for us here to use, I'm having the same problem the original poster is on a NIX server.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Attached is the PHP file for Unix Servers.

Please try and let me know if it works for you.

Regards

Chinmay Baid

Software Engineer

Adobe Captivate | Adobe Systems | Bangalore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Chinmay, but how do I download attachments on the forums here? I dont see one listed with the post.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me your email-id?

I'll send the file to you on the same.

My email-id is : cbaid@adobe.com.

Regards

Chinmay Baid

Software Engineer

Adobe Captivate | Adobe Systems | Bangalore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure mine is dmchenry35@gmail.com  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chinmay,

I also have a same issue as the owner of this thread, that I couldn't get results from my unix-based server. When I hit the "Generate Report" i got the "data is not present on local file system." Would you please help? my email address is: dnguyen.mtv@gmail.com

quizresult.png

Thanks much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chinmay and others.....

I am also having a problem getting the "internal server" option to work with out unix (LAMP) server configuration.  This appears to be an ideal solution to our quiz reporting needs, but I do not understand why there isn't better documentation on how to set  this up on a very commonly used server setup such as ours.  If there is a php file for unix servers, can you please email it to me?

Thank you,

SJPVT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2011 Oct 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chinmay and others.....

I am also having a problem getting the "internal server" option to work with out unix (LAMP) server configuration.  This appears to be an ideal solution to our quiz reporting needs, but I do not understand why there isn't better documentation on how to set  this up on a very commonly used server setup such as ours.  If there is a php file for unix servers, can you please email it to me?

My email address is:  spintaur@uvm.edu

Thank you,

SJPVT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources