Skip navigation
Jonz (sound images)
Currently Being Moderated

Audition 5.5 crashing - unable to open sessions

Oct 31, 2011 12:28 AM

Tags: #crash #audition #audition_cs5.5 #freezing #corrupted_session

I have my CS 5.5 Production Premium up and running for a couple of weeks and now I am trying to finish 2 songs which I have recorded through Audtion. The problem is while I am doing the editing, my system freezes and the worst thing is that I am not able to open audition sessions once it crashes.  When it happened to me first, I took precaution and started using Save As and saved 2 versions of the session. However, when the system froze again, I could not open both the versions of sessions. Obviously the .wav files used by both are same. I also read somewhere that the problem could be one of the .wav files used in the session. Is there any way to identify which file is giving a problem? What could be wrong here?

My set up is as follows:

Intel i7 Quad core 8 GB DDR 5 RAM

Nvidia Quadro 2000d

128 GM SSD – System Drive

2 x 1 TB 7200 RPM Stripe Raid – Media Drive

Windows 7 professional 64 bit

Tapco Firelink – Audio Interface (Mackie 64 bit Driver version 1.7 for Vista / W7)

regards,

John

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Oct 31, 2011 2:33 AM   in reply to Jonz (sound images)

If you have system freezes, then what you need to do here is to read the contents of this FAQ carefully (right to the end, because there's an alternative there) and do exactly what it says. On the face of it, it's very unlikely to be a wav file causing this at all.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Oct 31, 2011 12:04 PM   in reply to Jonz (sound images)

Pretty much, yes. It really is very difficult for us to deal with freezes, but the devs are pretty good at it, if you give them enough information.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 31, 2011 12:17 PM   in reply to Jonz (sound images)

The first issue, system freeze while editing, is most likely some sort of hardware or driver conflict.  Audition itself won't be able to do much to the entire computer and OS, but the most likely link will be Auditions use of the audio driver.  Some quick things to check or try:

• Ensure you're using the latest driver from your audio device manufacturer.
    • If you're using a native ASIO driver, try switching to MME or vice versa.  This can narrow down the problem, no matter the outcome.  (If the freezes occur with both drivers, it can point to hardware issues.  If it's isolated to one driver model, it points to the driver software.)
    • Try temporarily changing your default audio device altogether.  If you're using an external device, try using the built-in options if available.  Or try using a third-party generic driver such as the one found at www.asio4all.com. 
    • Note if you're using or enabled any sort of disk-cacheing or speedup utilities.  Sometimes these can introduce bad or unexpected behavior.
    • You might want to run a few utilities to scan your hard drives and your RAM for errors or problems.  While I've occasionally managed to track a problem like this down to a driver, more often than not it's been a hard drive or RAM going bad.  Your system looks pretty new, though.  I'm not familiar enough with the Tapco Firelink to offer any specific advice yet.

For the second issue, the inability to use the crash recovery files, this is likely related to the system freeze.  If Audition crashes, the crash recovery files are usually properly closed by the OS file handler, so that they are more likely to be up-to-date and usable when you launch Audition the next time.  However, in the event of a catastrophic system failure (blue screen, power outage, or completely system freeze like you report) these files are not closed and are usually corrupt which could certainly cause Audition to fail.  I suspect if we can resolve the system lock-up issue, this second issue will not be a problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Calculating status...
    Dec 17, 2011 11:02 PM   in reply to Jonz (sound images)

The Mackie BridgeCo drivers are not particularly robust.  I forced the original Onyx drivers onto Vista and Win7 but it was a PITA.  Make sure that your firewire driver is definitely the "legacy" driver.  Also, I would look in the Device Manager and make sure all of the Tapco/Mackie instances are installed correctly.  BridgeCo is also not very good at writing install software.  Greg can make a mixer you can drive an iron spike through and it will still work, but his computer interfaces are not very robust to date.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points