• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

flv playback in ios

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if there are any optimal encoding settings for flv playback on an ipad? I'm using the flvplayback component (flash cs5.5 and air 2.7) but can't get playback on an ipad to be as smooth as on a pc.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried on2 vp6 encoding and work fine both in iphone and ipad , you can use adobe media encoder cs5.5 to encode your vedio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I’m already using on2 vps encoding, plays well on pc but badly on ipad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How well does it work if you set CPU instead of GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No discernible difference…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your video compression settings, and video image size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video is 1024x576. I’ve tried lots of different settings with little improvement in playback quality. Now have an iPad 2 and playback is a bit better but still nowhere near as good as on pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably it's 25fps. 1024x576 is quite a large area of video, it might just be too much to handle. But try extremely low data rates, just to rule out that being the issue. I mean, like 300 kbps. If that then plays well enough, try using 700kbps, that may be good enough quality, and yet play ok.

I have played 2mbps FLV full screen on an iPad 1, but that was most likely 640x360 video scaled up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I’ll give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the settinsg I use in Media Encoder for my iPad app and they seem to play pretty smoothly.

As you can see they aren't too small either.

Make sure you're playing the files back at the encoded size. I imagine having to scale the flv file up/down won't help performance.

Screen shot 2011-11-02 at 22.13.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I think I’ve probably tried some combination of your settings over the last few weeks. Have now acquired an iPad 2 and the same videos play marginally better, think I’ve just been expecting too much from Flash on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the longer the video the worse it plays back.

Encoding the alpha channel also significantly impacts performance.

Overall though, it'll be hard to match the performance on a pc.

If possible, use a .mp4 and StageWebView instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I’ve used StageWebView and the result is as good as on a pc but (unless I’m missing something) I don’t have any control over it i.e. want it to loop and be able to pause/play/seek.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines