Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

sidecar.xml generator

Jun 29, 2011 5:18 AM

Good Morning.

I present to you the sidecar.xml generator for Adobe's Digital Publishing Suite.

sidecar-750.png

This tool creates the sidecar.xml file for you after you entered all metadata for each article.

You can change the order of the articles by just drag-and-drop.

It is usefull for non-subscribers to DPS, who can only re-arrange folios with the sidecar.xml method.

It is a small website at:

projects.nordsueddesign.de/sidecarxml

Works in every modern browser. It uses many JavaScript, so use a fast browser, especially if you have a lot of articles.

I use it on my own and decided to release it to the public until Adobe comes out with a new Version of the Folio Builder Panel wich will then support re-ordering.

After you added some articles and metadata, click on "Generate sidecar.xml file" to get the raw text for your file. Paste the whole xml-content into a sidecar.xml file, put into it's own folder and import the folder with the "Import Multiple Articles" method. Then the metadata from sidecar.xml is pulled into your folio.

The generator creates a unique URL each time you make a change or click "save". With this (very long URL) you can come back later to the generator to make changes to your sidecar.xml file.

Please keep in mind that I made this tool in one day for myself. There might be some glitches when deleting articles from the list, always keep an eye on your data.

Hope this is helpful for some people working on folios as non-subscribers.

—Johannes

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2011 5:21 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

You sir, are a superstar!

Thanks for sharing that with the community.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 6:40 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for the generator it's much easier than handcoding the xml file and it's going to save a lot of time :-)

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

thanx for sharing!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Johannes, super work!

I have also made a tool for generation of sidecar.xml but using the Filemaker engine.

Below is a screenshot of Article Entry View (with mock-up)

sidecar_editor.png

I did not publish it, because it looked like that functionality would be soon obsolete... It has a basic mock-up functionality, so one can test how the metadata fits in place. But I could not implement drag-n-drop of articles in Table View, as in your solution.  Congratulations!

Tomek

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 8:06 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

To Johannes,

Could I ask were to find any articles I add to the sidecar generator.

Would these articles be located on my local hard drive, or the acrobat.com server, having never used a .xml sidecar generator before where can I find these files for .xml conversion do I use my main indesign .indd file or the saved version within the folio builder any further details would be helpful.

Regards

Vividi

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 8:29 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Thank you! This is so cool. Thanks for sharing again.

Just said "what adobe can't offer, the community does it itself"

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 8:38 AM   in reply to Anselm Hannemann

Very cool -- thank you!

-- Jeff

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 29, 2011 9:56 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Excellent job, Johannes. I linked to your generator from help, which I'll update later today.

With the next release, using the sidecar.xml file won't be necessary to re-order articles, but a lot of people still like to use the sidecar.xml file for importing a folio folder. It's especially useful if you end up needing to rebuild a folio for whatever reason. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    300 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Nov 1, 2011 12:00 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I just wanted to update this post to remind users this is a very useful tool, and resolves some of the major problems and frustrations with the Folio Producer in its current state (Slow, buggy, and crashes).

We're using a modified iteration in conjunction with a SQL backend to persist the data (as there are limits to the length of a URL, and our users might forget to save the URL).

Thanks again Johannes for your work on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I've just tried it for the first time and... WOW! Johannes, You're Da Man! Thanks a lot

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)