Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Scrubbing Issues in CS5.5 but not in CS5

Jul 16, 2011 5:06 AM

I've been searching the forums and although I've found similar posts, nothing quite the same as my issue, so here it goes:

When scrubbing through some AVCHD footage (mts files from Lumix GH2) in Premiere CS 5.5, the lagging is just unworkable. The same footage on the same machine in CS5.03 gives no problems at all, it scrubs just fine. Everything is exactly the same between the projects (see spec below), media on same drives, ... Is CS5.5 just really a lot slower doing this. I noticed the loading of projects is a lot faster now, does that mean certain 'temp files' are now created on the spot and that slows it down?

I've tried bringing playback/paused resolution down, made the monitor smaller,... some of it makes a bit of a difference, but never enough to make a real difference. Please help.

Spec:

Windows 7 64bit

AMD Phenom II 6 cores 3.2Ghz

8GB ram

Raid 0 array (7200 rpm drives)

Nvida GT440 (enabled for cuda via 'hack')

All drives defragmented.

Everything is smooth in scubbing in CS5 but not in CS5.5, regular playback is fine in both cases.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Niels

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2011 7:52 AM   in reply to Niels_EA

I have the same experience... Premiere Pro 5.0.3 scrubs smoothly with the Mercury Engine hardware on or off... but the same project in 5.5 lags horribly... if I scrub back and forth for more than a second or two the image stops updating then takes 3-5 seconds to update after I stop scrubbing... If I go into Mercury engine software mode it scrubs smoothly.

My system is i7 920 16gb ram GTX 460.... I'm also using the "hack" to enable the 460... and that's probably where our problem lies.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions just thought I'd let you know I have the same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2011 10:33 AM   in reply to Niels_EA

We're currently working on fixes for some known issues with scrubbing performance with AVCHD material.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2011 1:10 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Great to hear Todd, would just like to confirm this is being looked at for Mac users as well.  This thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/87706  is documenting our experience on MacPro 4.1 systems.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2011 10:01 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

This issue is not just with AVCHD. All codecs so far are showing the issue. Also I am seeing a caching issue where the cpu usage skyrockets for the initial 5 to 20 seconds on playback and then it settles in to 10% or so. This is also on multiple codecs, platforms, Geforce or Quadro cards and such. This really smells of a caching issue with the MPE engine or playback buffer. I even have Dual Xeon 5680 systems with 48 GB of ram and Quadro 5000 video cards showing these issues with avchd, XDCam,DSLR, or even HDV.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2011 3:46 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Please install the Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.1) update and let us know how things work after that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 11:33 AM   in reply to Niels_EA

I've noticed the same problem.

CS5.5 plays the timeline smooth as butter, but when scrubbing it's very laggy.

Even when I play in fast more (keyboard shortcut 'L') at double, triple speed its smooth, but not when scrubbing?

It's the same when scyubbing through a video in the source monitor window, playing is smooth, but scrubbing is not?

I installed the update linked in Adobe todd koprivas post but there is no change.

is there a fix in the works for this?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 10:41 PM   in reply to strangey316

Has anyone resolved this since updating to 5.5.1?

I'm looking at a system with a GTX 460 and trying to rule out any issues with MPE and the 460.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 1:21 PM   in reply to Niels_EA

I've been looking into this like crazy because this happens with all of the video files I ever work with, however I have a couple of working solutions; I've found that re-encoding the file in Media Encoder and decreasing the keyframe interval will allow the footage to scrub smoothly. I've been using .mp4 output with an NTSC DV, keyframe interval decreased from 33 to 11. This may not be feasible depending on your setup/length of film/etc., because it does take a while.  The other way is to F5 Capture the footage directly into Premiere by playing it out.  Both of these are somewhat time intensive, but in my experience I've found that re-encoding is takes about 50-60% less time than capturing if your system is up to par.  I can't wait until this gets sorted out and I can just import raw files and tear away!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 1:23 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

The issue is still there with the 5.5.1. That did not change the performance with any codec I have tested so far either.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 5:11 AM   in reply to Niels_EA

For me, too, this scrubbing issue is NOT resolved with the latest update.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 6:37 AM   in reply to FuelMe

If you havent already...please report the bug here  

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2011 8:11 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Just too keep the forum active and continue to give feedback to adobe, the update has not fixed my scrubbing issues either.  Anyone else having this issue, please use the bug report.  Hopefully the more feedback we give, the quicker we'll get a bug free Premiere.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2011 7:34 PM   in reply to LFedit

Is there any update on this? It's really quite frustrating as the mean reason for getting CS5 was to be able to edit native DSLR footage, and this is really difficult given the current scrubbing performance

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2011 8:52 PM   in reply to Niels_EA

Looks like it isn't just Premiere having this problem, After Effects is also giving me the same results, but I'm using XDcam footage. Works fine in AE & PREM CS5 but  the 5.5 versions are just struggling to display anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2011 9:58 PM   in reply to Niels_EA

BTW, I just installed the 5.5.2 update for Premiere and the problem is still there.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 7:17 AM   in reply to krsone

The 5.5.2 update for Premiere running 10.6.7 has not fixed the scrubbing issue.  Anyone with Lion please comment regarding the scrubbing, as Lion has been able to fix the moving instances issue, and it would be great to know if updating to Lion has fixed the slow scrubbing with the latest Premiere update.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 7:38 AM   in reply to LFedit

Thats just great...  I recently ordered a new edit computer with CS5.5.  The main thing we edit is AVCHD and wanted to get away from CS4 and a old machine becuase of how porely it handles AVCHD.  I was impressed with a friends system that has CS5 on it, never would have guessed that 5.5. would have problems with it. 

I sure hope that this gets resolved quickly, as I know the rest of you do to.  As soon as I get the machine I will be using the bug report even though Adobe already knows about it.  Hopefully everyone else with the issue is using the bug report too.

Phil

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 8:16 AM   in reply to pebalsamo

I have the same issue with AVCHD using PP CS 5.5.1

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 1:43 PM   in reply to medeamajic

+1 the 5.52 update has no effect.

so if I go back to CS5(.0) will the scrubbing of DSLR footage on the timeline be smooth?

Can anyone confirm this?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2011 12:39 PM   in reply to strangey316

I can confirm that DSLR footage scrubs smoothley on the timeline in cs5

But it DOES NOT scrub smoothley in CS5.5 (with the 5.52 update)

Hopefully this will be fixed soon

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 3:32 PM   in reply to LFedit

I just testing 5.5.2 running OS 10.7.1, and the OS has no effect on the DSLR footage scrubbing issue.

Strangey316, can you comment on your OS version and your experience so far with using CS5.(x)?  Are you able to use AE 5.5 and Audition with the older version of Premiere enough to recommend rolling back?

Also,  I got a call from Adobe support today saying that the 5.5.2 update knowingly did not fix DSLR scrubbing and that they are still aware of the problem but do not have a time frame of when it will be fixed.

Message was edited by: LFedit Small typo

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 6:44 AM   in reply to LFedit

I'm on a windows 7 ultimate (sp1)

Core i7 CPU , 970 @ 3.20 GHz

24GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

Can't comment on the other progs on CS5, just PPro, rolling back to CS5.0 does solve the scrubbing issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 2:46 PM   in reply to strangey316

Thanks for the reply strangey316, interesting to know if this is consistent with Mac and PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 3:35 PM   in reply to Niels_EA

Is there any news on this from Adobe?

I've noticed that in CS5.0 , wht you open a project, in the status bar at the bottom it sats it's loadin all the indivudual assets (this can take a good few minutes depending on the number of assets)

In CS5.5 however, this is not the case, the project opens up almost instantly.

Could this be part of the smooth scrubbbing issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 10:09 PM   in reply to strangey316

I'm new to CS5.5 Production Premium. I have 5.5.2 installed, I work with a lot of AVCHD footage, and I'm also seeing the same scrubbing issues mentioned in this thread. It plays smoothly but scrubbing lags and skips a lot. Can't  say how it works in CS5 because I've never owned that version. My system:

i7 920

Biostar Tpower x58

16GB G.Skill

Quadro 2000 (275.89 driver)

Win7 Pro 64-bit

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to steve1.3

I'm also still seeing this issue.  Just upgraded from a Quadro FX 4600 to a Quadro 4000 - may need to go back!!!  Any updates?  I'm getting ready to edit a feature film and need all the bandwidth I can get.

Cory

Dual Quad Xeon X5355

16 GB quad channel RAM

200GB 15k RPM SAS 3 drive RAID 0 temp drive

7200 RPM 8 drive RAID 5 media drive

300GB 10k SAS OS drive

Quadro 4000 - driver 276.42

Win 7 Enterprise x64

CS5.5 Master - fresh install

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi,

Just tried the trial 5.5 and was hopeful improvements coming over from Vegas.

This software is unworkable in current for with 1080p 50p avchd.

Can you confirm this WILL be fixed and possible timeframes please?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to gearo

Gearo, I would qualify your statement to stay its unworkable on your system.

I have cut AVCHD on my system with no problems. FCP and PrP are vastly different in how they function.

FCP needs all clips transcoded in order to use them. PrP plays everything natively, no transcoding needed. But it does necessitate systems that maximize the effectiveness of the Mercury Engine. My system does that. Yours might not.

Tom Daigon

Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Mac Pro 3,1

2 x 3.2 ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Nvidia Quadro 4000

24 gigs ram

Kona 3

Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Adobe support has responded to my bug report that there is a known bug with AVCHD footage on the Mac.  Through our testing on this thread, the bug seams to only effects Macpro 4.1 and higher systems, thus leading us to believe it is an issue with hyperthreading which the Macpro 3.1 system does not have.

Having used both MacPro 3.1 and 4.1 systems, the 3.1 system is far superior when handling DSLR footage than the 4.1.

Can anyone update or clarify these findings, as to be honest I've kind of just given up editing native DSLR footage on my MacPro 4.1. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to LFedit

I've posted my experience on a few threads, but I'm on a MacPro 4,1 (specs below) and even with the 5.5.2 release, H.264 DSLR footage from a 5D never became workable for me.  (It was worse before the update, but it is still massively sluggish and buggy)  My answer was to start transcoding to ProRes just like the FCP days for a smooth editing experience.

MacPro 4,1 Quad Core

32 GB RAM

GTX285

RAID

AJA Lhi

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Hi,

My system has 16g ram, qx9770 extreme,

3 off 10,000 rpm hd in raid 0, cuda mercury gpu support.

If I find results from PP not acceptable with this setup, then surely the average user will find CS5.5 unworkable?

I am trying to confirm timeframes for fix from Adobe as I must have efficient software for my business.

Unless

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 10:42 PM   in reply to Niels_EA

Has this been resloved yet?

I just purchased premiere cs5.5...working with AVCHD.

intel core i7 3930K

16gb ram

2 1t 7200 rpm HDD

1 SSD for PP cs5.5 and windows 7

gtx 570

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers