Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making phone numbers live links in a PDF or ePub

Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to be able to have the phone numbers in the newsletter I am working on be live links in a PDF and/or ePub, so that when viewed on a smart-phone, all one has to do is click on the number and it dials automatically. I know how to make the web addresses, but haven't figured out phone numbers.

Is it possible, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Hi

This works on a PDF on the iPhone, I'm afraid I can't test it anywhere else...

In the link destination, simply type tel:+000000000, obviously replacing the zeroes with the number you are after, in the international format (for example +44 would get you a UK number).

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This works on a PDF on the iPhone, I'm afraid I can't test it anywhere else...

In the link destination, simply type tel:+000000000, obviously replacing the zeroes with the number you are after, in the international format (for example +44 would get you a UK number).

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding, and I am about to try this. One question, when you create the new hyperlink, in the "link to" pull down menu, I can choose from URL, File, Email, Page, Text Anchor, and Shared Destination. None of these seem appropriate. Which should I be using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah, now to be honest I added my link in Acrobat (for no particular reason, it was just the first app open at the time) but URL should do it, I think. Try it out and let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bust. It didn't work using the URL in ID, but I'll try the others.

How did you apply this in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I just added it as an action with a clickable link.

Anyhoo - I just tried it in InDesign and it works perfectly both in the PDF on the iPhone and amazingly in iBooks as well, so I'm really grateful for you asking this question!

So probably best to outline how I did it and take it from there.

In InDesign I created some text, and highlighted the part of the text I wanted to be a link (I would also recommend using a character style here so it is obvious to your user that it is a clickable link).

Then using the hyperlinks panel added my number into the URL field as described above.

Next I exported the PDF - I used the interactive export defaults here.

All I did then was upload it onto a server and then downloaded it on to my iPhone (sideloading would work equally well).

I tapped the link and it worked perfectly.

If you don't get any joy this time I will gladly PM you the InDesign file and a PDF you can use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link to an ID (CS5.5) file, select the text "here" and look at the URL in the Hyperlinks Panel.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21192016/testPhoneLink.indd

Replace the 44 with the country code you are after and then the zeroes with the number you want to use. Remember that it is usual to remove the first zero in the UK (and probably elsewhere) so an STD dialling code of 01458 would become simply 1458. Don't use any spaces in the numbers.

Then try exporting it to an (interactive) PDF and get it onto your iPhone (as per your PM). Should work just fine - you should get a blue 'bubble' asking you if you want to place the call and take it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recorded the steps for you in this short, silent video, hopefully that will get you on your way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 04, 2011 Nov 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not my thread, but what an awesome response!  Thanks for that video.  I'll use this method if I need to do the same thing (I'll probably be doing something interactive like this at some point).

Thanks, Phyllis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Phyllis - you're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I followed your directions both here in the forum, and on the video, but it's still not working. I link it, create the interactive PDF and email it to myself on my iPhone. When I click on the link, nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can think of is... Are you putting the Colin in after the tel part? Sorry I'm presenting today so my window for responses is limited. I will pick up on it when I get back later this evening, promise I will get you there.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Hopefully you picked up in my earlier response I meant of course colon, not colin (didn't notice the predictive autocorrect).

Could you PM me a copy of your PDF, or a link I could download it from? I'll try looking from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2011 Nov 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to Tony who spent an extraordinary amount of time helping me with this. His answer works perfectly if the PDF is in a browser, but not if the PDF is received as an email attachment.

Thanks again Tony!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2011 Nov 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will say in the links panel that it does not work,. however after you export it, it should work.  That's what it did for me and I thought it didn't work at first either, but I exported it and it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I put a link in PDF if I have to include meeting ID etc... For example, If users have to directly dial into my conf#. 962-827-1888,2#,8279445.

This works great if I have this same number stored in as my contacts. Suggestions please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, has anyone found that the links and buttons don't work in epub only pdfs for interactive phone numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please do not hijack old answered threads. This one is almost eight years old.

Start a new discussion with full details and note that the term "epub only pdfs" makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines