Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

4 Simple Flash Questions that Are Stumping Me!

Nov 3, 2011 6:12 PM

What is the Frame Rate for Web Animations

Q1. I am making an animation which will be played on the web. What is the default frame rate (fps) of Flash CS5? And what is the frame rate of for web?

Q2. My animation needs to be 30 seconds long. So at 15 fps that would mean I need to use 600 frames in Flash?

How Do I Mask everything so all I see is the Content on the Stage?

I have a wide image that extends past my movies stage size so when I preview my movie the image is visible. How do I mask out anything that extends past my movies window size? I believe I can create a layer named "mask" and place it above all other layers, but I forget how to make the mask. Any help is appreciated.

How to Fade a Graphic

I have a graphic element (some type) and I want it to fade from 0% to 100%. In older versions of Flash I could just select the symbol and then set it's alpha value to 0%, move a few keyframes and then set the alpha to 100%. Voila! but now it doesn't seem to work that way. How can I do this in CS5?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 3, 2011 7:13 PM   in reply to Comp. 792

1. I believe the default frame rate for Flash CS5 is 24 FPS, though I cannot be sure.  In earlier versions it is 12, and I don't know when it changed, assuming it did.  24 should be sufficient for the web, but it really boils down to your needs for a given design.  I would stick with 24 in most cases, others might have other preferences.

2. Even if FPS was a valid way to set the time of an animation (it is ballpark at best), your calculation would be off.  30 seconds x 15 FPS won't equal 600 frames (more like 450).

3. Pretty much what you just described is one way to do it.  To create a mask you draw a rectangle as big as your stage and place it on a layer above everything else.  If everything else is scattered around layers of the timeline, then you would be beter off just right clicking the name area of the mask layer and choosing the "Mask" option.  Then you need to drag each layer below it up into its masking (just press down and nudge up one layer at a time).  If the rest of the content is contained within a movieclip, then you could programatically assign the mask to the movieclip using mcName.mask = maskMCName; (AS3)

4. When you go to set the tween using the approach you described you are used to, right click the starting frame and select Create Classic Tween.

|
    Mark as:
  • McbainGames11
    287 posts
    Jun 17, 2011
    Nov 4, 2011 12:50 AM   in reply to Comp. 792

Another way to do alpha is that make a tween of say 20 frames, goto 20th frame and type MC.alpha = 0;

To turn something into a movieclip simple select over the things you want to be a movieclip then right-click and select 'Convert to Symbol' in the dropdown menu that will come up.

A box will come up and you will choose your settings, in your case the settings you would do is make the type : MovieClip, give the MovieClip a name and leave the rest of the settings then click OK!

The know the number of frames per second is easy, its 24 so count 24 frames and thats basically 1 second Common Logic.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 4:37 AM   in reply to Comp. 792

1 You can create your character as a movieclip and copy/paste that movieclip from one file to another.

2. One way to create a movieclip is to copy all the frame of the animation's timeline (select them all, right click the selection, choose Copy Frames), then create a new movieclip symbol (Insert -> New Symbol...etc) right click on its only keyframe and choose Paste Frames.  That will put all the layers and frames you copied into the movieclip.

The only way to come close to being certain about the timing of your animation is to use code to keep track of the time, something like getTimer()..  The frame rate that a file plays at is not a reliable means of dictating the time it takes due to a variety of factors which include the amount of content you are trying to process and performance limits of the user's machine.

|
    Mark as:
  • McbainGames11
    287 posts
    Jun 17, 2011
    Nov 4, 2011 4:49 AM   in reply to Ned Murphy

Ned, it says 24 fps which means there is 24 frames per second so each 24 frames is 1 second.

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 05:35:16 -0600

To: mcbain97@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: 4 Simple Flash Questions that Are Stumping Me! 4 Simple Flash Questions that Are Stumping Me!

Re: 4 Simple Flash Questions that Are Stumping Me!

created by Ned Murphy in Flash Pro - General - View the full discussion

1 You can create your character as a movieclip and copy/paste that movieclip from one file to another. 2. One way to create a movieclip is to copy all the frame of the animation's timeline (select them all, right click the selection, choose Copy Frames), then create a new movieclip symbol (Insert -> New Symbol...etc) right click on its only keyframe and chhose Paste Frames.  THat will put all the layers and frames you copied into the movieclip The only way to come close to being certain about the timing of you animation is to use code to keep track of the time, something like getTimer()..  The frame rate that a file plays at is not a reliable means of dictating the time it takes due to a variety of factors which include the amount of content you are trying to process and performance limits of the user's machine.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: 4 Simple Flash Questions that Are Stumping Me!

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: 4 Simple Flash Questions that Are Stumping Me!. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Flash Pro - General by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 5:24 AM   in reply to McbainGames11

The FPS value means nothing when it comes to reality.  Using FPS to define the time it takes an animtion to run is not at all accurate.  And the OP is using 15 FPS, not 24, so your mention of 24 is irrelevant to his discussion.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 10:11 AM   in reply to Comp. 792

If you open the MovieClip symbol you created and you see all of its animation frames, the MovieClip is an animation, but you will only see it animate when you run the file.  Otherwise, if you are looking at it in the timeline it occupies, you will only see its first frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 10:13 AM   in reply to Comp. 792

His instructions will not work for creating a movieclip out of your timeline.  It will only copy the objects you selected into a single frame inside a symbol.

|
    Mark as:
  • Peter Celuch
    505 posts
    Nov 17, 2005
    Nov 4, 2011 10:52 AM   in reply to Comp. 792

Take a look at this thread, I believe it's the same issue you're describing: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3996725#3996725#3996725.

The only way you can not see your MovieClip animate in runtime is to put a stop(); action on its first frame.

You said you you "turned it into a MC" ... in library or on the stage? Because you can change your symbol in the library to MovieClip (from Graphic symbol, let's say) and from now on, every instance of the symbol on the Stage you create will be a MovieClip. But the instances you already had on the Stage get not transformed into MovieClips for you. Check the instance on the Stage if it's really a MovieClip (select it and take a look at Properties panel).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 2:03 PM   in reply to Comp. 792

Make sure you created it as a MovieClip symbol and not a Graphic symbol

|
    Mark as:
  • Peter Celuch
    505 posts
    Nov 17, 2005
    Nov 5, 2011 2:00 AM   in reply to Comp. 792

Is it true that if I  select the parts of my character (the Symbols) and change them from "movie clip" too graphic" then save the whole thing as a Movie Clip, then import the MC into another flash file that I will be able to see the character animated in the flash file without previewing it?

Take a look at this thread. If you wrap your graphics in MovieClip and then insert the MovieClip in some parent MovieClip, when scrubbing parent timeline you won't see the animation. You need to wrap them in Graphic symbol.

|
    Mark as:
  • Peter Celuch
    505 posts
    Nov 17, 2005
    Nov 5, 2011 2:39 AM   in reply to Comp. 792

If anyone knows how to add snow I have seen some different methods and would like to know what suggestions you may have.

There are many ways to do it, I find it easiest to animate one flake in timeline (animating in timeline is easier than with script - what you see is what you get) and make it a MovieClip, then place and move flakes with the script (placing great number on stage and random positioning is easier with script than by hand in timeline).

I created a samle for you: http://dev.flashlabs.eu/examples/snow/

You can download the source here: http://dev.flashlabs.eu/examples/snow/source.zip

|
    Mark as:
  • Peter Celuch
    505 posts
    Nov 17, 2005
    Nov 5, 2011 12:38 PM   in reply to Comp. 792

Allright, I modified the example a bit so you can really easily use it: http://dev.flashlabs.eu/examples/easy-snow/

You can download the source here: http://dev.flashlabs.eu/examples/easy-snow/source.zip

As you can see, there are 4 instances of snow on the Stage in this example. All different sizes. No actionscript required, just drag and resize.

To use it in your project you have to:

1) Drag Snow folder from example's library to your library

2) Drag symbol Snow/snow to stage and size it as you please.

3) If you want to change the number of flakes inside it, just

a) Assign name to the symbol instance on the Stage, let's say mySnow

b) Add frame script to the instance's parent timeline: mySnow.maxFlakes = 500; // type any number you'd like

|
    Mark as:
  • Peter Celuch
    505 posts
    Nov 17, 2005
    Nov 5, 2011 12:40 PM   in reply to Comp. 792

Can you please explain the rest. Was there a tutorial you used for this?

Sorry, no tutorial. I just made it..

I believe now there's no explaining necessary. You just place the snow symbol on the stage and you're good to go

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points