Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Color management for web and print.

Nov 4, 2011 8:41 AM

Hi there.  I would like to post my images and have them print ready for clients.  When I read about both of these I find one thing for web and one thing for print. I don't want to edit them twice. What would you suggest for easiest workflow?  I like to post the images in an online gallery for my clients and if I really like them maybe use on my homepage.  Do I have to edit twice or what is the optimal setting for a photographer.  I do mostly portraits --family, baby, couples, etc.

I am pretty well versed in actual editing processes but my understanding in this portion is still lacking.  I am trying prophoto rgb on photos today, but will this compromise my online quality? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 4, 2011 1:26 PM   in reply to brwmmw

If you want to maintain maximum image quality, you do have to produce separate copies of your edited files, one for print and one for web.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 1:28 PM   in reply to brwmmw

The easiest way to accomplish that is to save a copy of your for-print finished file through Save For Web and Devices.  It's not rocket science.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 2:50 AM   in reply to brwmmw

brwmmw wrote:

…I knew of this option but did not know if it was optimal quality…

You define the quality of the saved image in the Save for Web and Devices dialog box.

brwmmw wrote:

…I have just been… using same files for web and print.  I wanted to increase quality across the board in print and web…

That is absurd!  (Sorry.) By doing that you are generating unconscionably and unnecessarily large image files.  You're clients won't like that.

Remember that you have no control over how anyone sees your images on the web.  Something like 97% of Internet users are running non-color-managed web browsers and uncalibrated monitor.

You and you're clients are best served when you stick to the lowest common denominator, namely sRGB images, for web.

brwmmw wrote:

…What mode do you use for prints?…

Personally, I like to stay in 16-bit ProPhoto RGB when I print my images myself.  If sending them to a pro lab, I discussed it with the lab techs.  But I have gathered a lot of experience by now.  One really has to know exactly what one's doing to edit in ProPhoto RGB and stay in that color space.  If sending my images to a cheap lab like Costco, I stick to 8-bit tagged images that I soft-proof with the specific printer profile that will be used by the local store.

You should—and probably do—know that ProPhoto RGB has a very wide gamut that includes colors that cannot be printed by many printers, and it's up to you to compensate for that.  If you run into problems with ProPhoto RGB consider converting to Adobe RGB for print.  Make sure the printer drivers that will be used to print actually support 16-bit printing, otherwise convert to 8-bit.

Since you're a pro, I would warmly recommend you watch the video tutorials comprising the "From Camera to Print - Fine Art Printing" series by Jeff Schewe and Michael Reichmann, that are/were available for download from the Luminous Landscape.  They're working on a new 2011 edition, but the 2008 edition was just superb.  Best $35 or so I've spent in a long time.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/camera-print.shtml

Wo Tai Lao Le  (no connection to Adobe or Schewe/Reichmnan/Luminous_Landscape.)

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 2:58 AM   in reply to brwmmw

Incidentally, an image on the web that is created and saved with ProPhoto RGB is going to look like absolute cr@p to the millions (billions?) of Internet users who are using non-color-managed web browsers.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 2:48 PM   in reply to brwmmw

brwmmw wrote:

…Thank you so much for the help.  Are you on Nikon Rumors Forums by the way?

You're welcome.  Nope, I don't own a Nikon.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points