Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

tutorial builder dose not show images

Nov 4, 2011 2:25 AM

every thing works fine until I load the tutorial player and connect to cs5. look for the resulting tutorial I have just made and everything except the before and after pictures are showing.

If I open the html file in internet explorer everything works except the linking with CS5. The only error I get at this stage is Internet Explorer restricts this web page from running scripts or ActiveX controls, which i can overcome if i Allow blocked content.

has any one any Ideas on how to go forward on this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 4, 2011 11:49 AM   in reply to alexanderdavid

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for trying out Tutorial Builder. I am looking into your problem, but I want to make sure I understand the situation clearly.

You are using Windows 7.

You can create tutorials with Tutorial Builder.

You can view these tutorials in Internet Explorer.

When you try to view the same tutorials with our Tutorial Player app, the images are missing but everything else works. You can connect to Phtoshop and you can send it commands. In other words, you can replay the steps in the generated tutorial.

Is this correct ?

Thanks,

Mira

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 11:49 AM   in reply to Mira D

One more question, can you see the images in the sample tutorials that are included with Tutorial Player?

Thanks!

Mira

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 2:41 AM   in reply to Mira D

I have the same issue with not seeing the bef/aft images in tutorials I generate. The answer to all your questions (on my part) : I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, I can create Tutorials, I can view them (and the images) in IE, I can view the tutorials, images missing, in the Tutorial Player. Everything else works except the "show me in Photoshop" links seem to do nothing, though they work in the provided tutorials. Also, I can see the images in the provided tutorials.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 4:52 PM   in reply to alexanderdavid

Hi Landailyn and Alexander,

Sorry you are having trouble. Please make sure that you are using the latest version of Tutorial Builder. We released an update on October. 27th.

Let's try the following steps and see what happens.

Part 1: Create a test tutorial with Tutorial Builder

1. Open Photoshop and open the Tutorial Bulder panel.

2. Click Start in the TB Panel

3. Open an image

4. Say "yes" when the dialog asks you if you want to save the image as the before image

5. Convert it to Black and Whilte through Image>Mode>Grayscale

6. Click Done in the TB Panel

7. Say "yes" when the dialog asks you if you want to save the tutorial.

8. Say "yes" when the dialog asks you if you want to save the black and white image as the after image

9. In the "Save Tutorial" dialog, under title put "BW" and for Save To, click on the browse icon with the three dots. This will open a File System browser. Go to your Desktop and create a folder called "TBtest". Click Ok. This will save this new tutorial in the TBTest folder.

Part 2: Check that the created tutorial includes all of the right parts

1. open the system file browser

2. Open the folder Desktop/TBTest/BW/html

In that folder you should see

BW.html - this is your tutorial

main.css

main_ie.css

assets/

icons/

images/

js/

3. Open the BW.html file in your favorite browser (IE for you guys) and see how the tutorial looks

4. Look in the images folder and make sure that there are two images there - before.png and after.png

5. Look in the assets folder and make sure that you see the image you used in your tutorial

Part 3: Open it in Tutorial Player and try sending the recorded commands to Photoshop

1. Open Tutorial Player

2. Connect to Photoshop by following the directions in Tutorial Player

3. Click the Browse button and havigate to Desktop/TBtest/BW/html/BW.html

4. Click on the "Show me in Photoshop" link under step 2. This should cause the file you used to make the tutorial to be open in your Photoshop

5. Click on the "Show me in Photoshop" link under step 3. This should turn the image in Photoshop to black and white.

Please go through these steps and let me know what works and what doesn't work.

Thanks!

Mira

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 11:36 AM   in reply to alexanderdavid

I believe you have a permission issue on the images in the folder "images". Check that and make sure you or the group you are in have at least read access, to the images in the image folders.

I think it is useless to reinstall all the time. Just run every program as admin or disable UAC. This includes the TutorialPlayer.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 11:39 AM   in reply to alexanderdavid

Hi Alexander,

Wow! 30 minutes to save an image! Is this the behavior you normally experience with PS?

Can you try using a smaller jpg image? I am attaching one here you can use. 68.jpg

Mira

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 1:39 PM   in reply to Mira D

Wow! 30 minutes to save an image! Is this the behavior you normally experience with PS?

Sure it is.

Here it takes 15 seconds saving a 3.000x3.000px, 3094MB PSD (without PSD compression) with four layers as PNG, which results in a file size of 34 MB. But it takes only 1 second to the save the image as PSD.  Okay ;-) DisallowFlateCompressedPSD is on.

1.5 seconds when saving it as JPG...

As said in threads before, it is stupid to save the before/after images in their full dimensions as JPGs.

@alexanderdavid

hi mira, as most photoshop work is carried out with PSD or CR2 files, you are now telling me that I should use JPG. JPG do not carry all the information that is embeded into a PSD or CR2 file which will be used in most tutorials. why do you use PNG for before and after which is far superior to JPG?

You might open a JPG (PSD, TIF), but what you got and working on in PS is not a JPG (PSD, TIF) anymore. You can open a JPG and add layers or change its mode to 16bit, right? Do you have a 16bit JPG now, or what?  

When you open a txt-file in Word, is it still a txt-file, a doc- or rtf-file?

Questions is if some needs to run TB on fullsized 12-25MPx images for doing a tutorial and why TB needs to save it fullsized, instead of scaling them down to for example to 1.024x1.024px max.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 4:52 PM   in reply to ablichter

Hi all,

Thanks for being patient with us as we work to improve Tutorial Builder. We will be sure to save before and after images at an appropriate resolution. This task is already on our todo list.

Alexander, I was suggesting that you try using a smaller image so that I can try to troubleshoot the problem you are experiencing. If you can go through the entire pipeline of creating and playing back a tutorial with smaller images, then we will know that there is no problem with your TB installation.

Mira

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points