Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

OMF/AAF export: Does it ever work correctly?

Jan 23, 2011 4:16 AM

I'm cutting a feature film using Premiere Pro cs5... I've finished cutting the first 10 minutes of the film and want to export an OMF or AAF to the sound guy so he can import it into Logic Pro, to test out the workflow... now there is nothing fancy going on with my sequence... 9 audio tracks, just dialog and a music track.... no fx, no audio transitions and the video is straight cuts with a few cross dissolves... I've tried exporting to OMF about 6 different times with this sequence ticking/unticking the options but it never completes the export....just stops %75 through and I have cancel it.... AAF export finishes but lists several errors and less than half of the audio is included... so neither option seems to work correctly...

I read several older posts here about the inability and inconsistency to export OMF/AAF out of Premiere Pro Cs4/Cs5... with the workaround being to manually export each audio track... is that the current state of affairs? Has anyone isolated the factors that cause PPro to stall when trying to generate an OMF?

How are people taking their temp mixes from their PPro cuts and getting them into Pro Tools, Nuendo, Logic etc?

I've also tried exporting OMF's from a few of my other sequences but it never works.... any tips? Or do I just need to manually export each audio track seperately and file a bug report? Thanks!

using PPro Cs5 5.0.3 on Win7 64... i7 920 16gb ram

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2011 8:57 PM   in reply to ninteknohardcore

I did an AAF export today and what it does is export AAF

for the entire Sequence!.

It reported errors from other sequences.

I wanted the ability to export a single (clean and tidy ) sequence within the project.

No use to me at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2011 8:45 AM   in reply to ninteknohardcore

I also had issues with AAF/OMF export of a project I had with three video tracks and 12 audio tracks. I needed to get an edit to a guy and ended up just sending him my project file with the media and he pieced it together that way...

I'm not sure on this, but I think I remember reading something about Premiere struggling with OMF where you had more than 2 or 3 tracks of audio running at once...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 2:50 PM   in reply to ninteknohardcore

I've just tried to export OMF from CS 5.02 with 13 tracks of audio.. it worked fine, and the sound guy did open it on PT 7.4 ..

I had only one issue, it was stereo tracks that was residing in the timeline as separate mono tracks.. I just made render and replace for these special files and everything went smooth,,

I had different file types on the timeline from DVDs and other MPEG layer 2 audio, audio from canon DSLR files and wave files that were recorded on edirol.. I think there were also other mp3s and wave from different sources.. the sequence was full of audio effects, transitions and volume envelopes.. the timeline count was around 52 minutes.. it works excellent and exports fast..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 3:03 AM   in reply to nahawand

@nahawand: I'm happy for you, but it doesn't work at all for me...

I got 7 audio tracks from the sound guy (all mono) and the OMF export just chokes (no error, no anything, just hangs)... it is just plain broken... kind of sad... I'll give Avid MC6 a spin..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 5:08 AM   in reply to @IFDD

Please stop bumping old, multiple topics just to complain.  If you want help, pick one topic and post there.  Start your own if none of the other ones fit your particular problem.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 5:11 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Unfortunately, it seems to be the only way of raising awareness with Adobe around this issue...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 5:16 AM   in reply to @IFDD

Actually, it's a completely ineffective method. This is a user-to-user forum with only ocassional Adobe interaction. The proper avenue is here: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 5:19 AM   in reply to @IFDD

@IFDD wrote:

Unfortunately, it seems to be the only way of raising awareness with Adobe around this issue...

It's still a breach of Forum rules and etiquette.  Don't do it.  You've been warned.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 5:30 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Could you please point me to the rules/etiquette and point out, which rules I am in breach of? Couldn't find anything...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 6:15 AM   in reply to @IFDD

http://www.adobe.com/communities/guidelines/

Read *all* of the links included there.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 6:28 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

I *think* I did, but I'm still unclear as to which rules I broke. Could you please clarify? I'd like to avoid doing so in the future...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to ninteknohardcore

Hey evryone,

I had a similar experience with PREMIERE 5.5 , spent 5 hours scratching my head, wondering why certain files export no problem and certain make it crash.

After careful combing and process of elimination of audio files I found out that certain encodings of even most common AIF, or MP3's files, trip the system. (for me it was a 2 second AIF snippet of a rock crumbling sound effect huddled together amongst 435 files FUN!)

So you have to start eliminating channels and keep exporting piecemeal, until you find the faulty encoding. Remove it, and Voila!

From then on everything works FAST & SMOOTH.

Love PREMIERE, but little bugs like that drive you NUTS!

]

I hope this helps

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points