Skip navigation
freighterdog
Currently Being Moderated

Font Offering Appealing Numeric Fractions

Nov 7, 2011 10:37 AM

I'll be taking a job that requires insertion into text of a considerable number of fractions.

What font pallet offers fractional notation down through 1/16,1/32,1/64 etc? Fractions should have a superscript numerator over a subscript denomenator, separated by a backslash, instead of a horizontal M-dash.

I'll be working largely in MS Word 2004 (Mac) and Acrobat 9 Pro.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 7, 2011 11:59 AM   in reply to freighterdog

freighterdog,

Many modern fonts have the appropriate glyphs in the Unicode range. There also is a special fraction slash that is not as stepp as the standard slash, on my Mac (German OS) this is available using Alt+i. The following examples may look a bit ugly, depending on the font your browser selects:

¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁰⁄₀₁₂₃₄₅₆₇₈₉₀

¹⁄₁₆   ¹⁄₃₂  ¹⁄₆₄

I use PopChar to find glyphs in my fonts. What I want to say is: You may already have an appropriate font available.

- Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 1:56 PM   in reply to freighterdog

What Michael said. Sadly Word 2004 does not support automatic usage of such fonts (even Word 2011 doesn't support it properly). But you can still set them manually.

Scroll down this page to the "Diagonal Fractions" entry for more info on the glyphs:

http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/info/glyphs.html

Unfortunately Adobe doesn't support a search for just those fonts. But MyFonts does:

http://new.myfonts.com/search/ot_exact%3Afrac/fonts/

(Just one clarification: it's a fraction bar, not a backslash. The backslash points the opposite direction!)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 4:22 PM   in reply to freighterdog

Note that Word's autocorrect function will sub pre-built real fractions for the 1/2, 1/4 and 3/4 that are standard in Windows fonts (and most all fonts these days). If you use Word's superscript and subscript capabilities to build fractions, note that you will get something a bit different than "real" fractions. Positioning will be an issue (though it can be adjusted), but also the scaled-down numbers will be more thin and spindly than "real" designed fraction numerators and denominators would be. Not much to be done about that if you don't have the "real thing," unfortunately.

If you have ever downloaded a compatibility pack to allow you to interoperate with newer versions of Word, you may have some fonts that do have real numerators and denominators. All the so-called "ClearType fonts" have 'em (Calibri, Consolas, Constantia, Candara, Corbel, Cambria). Also Palatino Linotype if you have that. These were bundled with Windows Vista and Office 2007 and later, but also came with the compatibility pack.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 6:46 PM   in reply to freighterdog

My bad to refer to it as a compatibility pack. If you have updated your copy of Office 2004 with all the latest updates, you should have the fonts. They shipped in a dot release that focused on compatibility with newer versions of MS Office (for .docx files, etcetera).

I have no idea about the Equation Editor, sorry!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points