Expand my Community achievements bar.

Initial View is disabled on a Form created in LiveCycle ES2

Level 2

Hi,

I am trying to change the preferences using the Initial View tool in Acrobat.  I want to set it to open with bookmarks visible.  However, the entire initial view page is disabled for me.  The PDF is one that I created myself using LiveCycle Designer ES2.  I am using Acrobat Pro X.  Why would this functionality be disabled?

Thanks,

Nicole

7 Replies

Level 2

Thank you for your link. Unfortunately, I am not a developer and that was like a foreign language to me.  Is it possible to accomplish the same from a LiveCycle menu?

The view of a document can be set in manifold ways in Acrobat/Reader.

If single page, 2-up continious, with bookmarks panel, fit to width etc..

A lot is possible, but only with the menu.

JavaScript enables control of all these things from within a XFA-form.

Therefore the properties of the viewState object are used.

overViewMode controls the panels and full screen mode.

pageViewLayoutMode controls the page layout.

pageViewZoom controls the zoom level.

pageViewZoomType controls the zoom adaption to the application window.

This properties can be changes through a button script or the docReady:event of the form.

So you're able to control the initial view of the form.

event.target.viewState = {overViewMode:3};
event.target.viewState = {PageViewLayoutMode:1};
event.target.viewState = {PageViewZoom:0.75};
event.target.viewState = {PageViewZoomType:1};

Level 10

If you don't want to use scriptings you can use this macro.

It allows you to set up bookmarks in LiveCycle Designer through a dialog.

http://thelivecycle.blogspot.com/2011/09/xfa-bookmarks.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ypSr8WuhbFk/TotX1VNTslI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/sLy0ZDlEkE8/s1600/LCB_Bookmarker_V06_step1.png

Level 2

Hello,

I too would like to understand why these properties are disabled for XFA PDFs? Disabled for both dynamic and static PDFs. Why would you be able to use scripting to modify these values? Online documentation doesn't mention/confirm these observations.

Hélène

Level 1

If you have created a form in LiveCycle Designer, then open it in Acrobat and try to edit the Initial View settings, they appear grayed out. I have found the following to work in "unlocking" the options. I have tried this with forms created with LCD ES 8.2.1 and then opened with Acrobat Pro 9 (Win) or Acrobat X Pro (Mac).

1. Open form in Acrobat, bring up the Document Properties (CTRL-D win or CMD-D mac)

2. Select the Security tab

3. Change Security Method to Password Security

4. Click on checkbox for "Require a password to open document"

5. Type in a password

6. Click OK, verify the password you just typed and click OK

7. You might get a dialog box that pops up and says something like "Security settings will not be applied....". Click OK

8. You should be back at the Security tab and Security Method should say Password Security.

9. Next to Security Method: Password Security is a button called Change Settings... Click on it.

10. In the dialog that pops up don't do anything! Just click Cancel.

11. You should be back in the Security tab.

12. Change security method to No Security. Click on OK in the verification dialog that pops up.

13. Click on the very bottom OK button to dismiss the Document Properties dialog.

14. Reopen the Document Properties dialog and now when you go to the Initial View settings you should be able to set them as they won't be grayed out (assuming all steps followed correctly)

Level 2

Thanks PAH_01.  I was having the same issue as the original post...and your solution worked!

Level 5

That is UNREAL!  It worked. How did you ever discover that?  Really appreciate the tip.  Makes you wonder, though, what Adobe is doing.