Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Getting a Live CAption Text box to show up in 2 places on the same page?

Nov 8, 2011 7:53 AM

Hello,

Is there anyway to get the live caption on a page, to show up in another area of the page, and update, if the information changes?

For example...we have images that we would like to use the live caption feature for, to put in the version number and name for that particular image, when its placed in the Description field of the Photoshop file.

On the bottom of my layout, is also where that information needs to live. Is there anyway, through a variable or something that this could be archived, so that the captions text field can live away from the image as a copy and update if the image information changes?

I know its a long shot, but I wanted to put it out there?

thanks

babs

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 8, 2011 8:13 AM   in reply to iBabs2

I don't think so. Live Caption does create a text variable. However, in order to use it, the Live Caption frame has to touch the graphic that it refers to. If you move it away, it read "No intersecting frame."

And you can't cross-reference the text in a live caption because it's not really text, it's a pointer to the metadata field.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 8:56 AM   in reply to iBabs2

Don't despair. There are some very clever people here who are scripters, and might be able to whip out a script to do what you want to do.

But I'm not a scripter.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 9:33 AM   in reply to iBabs2

Hey, if you group the live caption with the image then they don't have to touch.

I just tried it with an image and grouped it with 2 different live caption boxes (and placed the other one a long way away from the image).

It works!  They both have the caption.  They have to stay grouped, but I imagine you could figure out a way to make that easy (different layer maybe?).  I hope that's what you meant.

Thanks, Phyllis

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 9:46 AM   in reply to iBabs2

Awesome!  :-)  I'm glad to get one correct every now and then.  I learn so much on this forum that I'm very glad when I have the chance to contribute too.  :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 10:20 AM   in reply to phyllisj9

Good suggestion, Phyllis! I had forgotten that an image and its caption could be grouped to achieve that.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 10:54 AM   in reply to phyllisj9

phyllisj9 wrote:

Awesome!  :-)  I'm glad to get one correct every now and then.  I learn so much on this forum that I'm very glad when I have the chance to contribute too.  :-)

I'm hoping you'll be replacing me in six months.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 11:13 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Not a chance there Peter.  ;-)   That'd take a whole lot longer than 6 months!   But I'm learning as much as I can!  :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 11:19 AM   in reply to phyllisj9

Seriously, 10 years ago I was asking questions, then I started to try to figure out the answers to other users' questions, and now look at me -- I have no life anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 11:21 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

I have no life anymore.

Hah! Oh come on, you know it's fun....

:-D

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 11:32 AM   in reply to phyllisj9