Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit a multiple audio video clip on Premiere

Participant ,
Nov 08, 2011 Nov 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody

Maybe this is a dumb question, I'm sorry if I'm asking what is obvious for you, but I swear I tried to find on the web and on this forum, but I couldn't find anything.

Well, I made a video using a screen capture software called Dxtory, that provides me the ability to record my PC screen, with multiple audio tracks.

Ok, now I have a 15gb avi file. When I open this file in the Media Player Classic, I can play one or both channels. The first channel is the original audio captured from my PC. Every audio generated by my PC is in this track. The second track is my voice, with my commentaries. I have all of this in one single file. They are not splited. It's just one file.

Then when I import into Premiere, the software just recognize the video track and the first audio track. I can't find the second, with my voice.

I know I can split the clip into 3 files (1 video and 2 audios) but it would take longer. I just want to drop the file on Premiere and edit the audio volumes quickly, because when I talk I would like to low the volume of the PC audio.

Now, the question: Is there a way to Premiere recognize both tracks in this single file? How?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the clip recorded with stereo audio (e.g. left and right channel) or is it dual mono? The Preview Area in the Project Panel should tell you this when select the clip, or you can right-click and select Properties.

Where in Pr are you playing back the clip? In the Source Monitor, or in a sequence? The Source Monitor will only play back one audio channel (that's why I asked if it was dual mono) at a time. However, if the clip is being recognized properly, you should still be able to drop it into a sequence and edit both channels individually, as they will be placed on two mono tracks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin, thanks for your answer.

Well actually I have two stereo tracks. One for the PC and other for my voice.

I tried to modify the clip audio properties, but Premiere allows me to access just the first track.

When I play the clip in a commom media player, both tracks are played.

When I play the clip on Pr, even on the souce monitor or in a sequence, I just get the first track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you have two stereo tracks--I think you have two mono tracks. It's entirely possible that Pr just can't use multiple mono audio tracks in an AVI--I work with QuickTime files all the time with multiple mono, so it is possible from a generic standpoint.

Could you record a very short sample, and upload it somewhere to test? If you need an FTP, please PM me and I'll set you up. I'm sure there is a way around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, I've just tried to use dual mono tracks in Pr, and I've got two mono tracks from the first track. My voice track is simply ignored by Pr.

But, yeah, sure, I will a 10 sec clip with my voice for you. Just give me some minutes. I have my domain ftp, and I send you the link as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There you go: http://salvego.com/download/audio_test.zip

You'll download an avi file.

You'll hear the audio from the game and my voice saying "this is a test" several times, if you play it via Windows Media Player.

Try to import into Pr. I couldn't manage to get both tracks on it. Just the game audio.

I don't know if you'll be able to play it, since it was produced using dxtory codec. You can download the trial version of software software here (it's really small): http://dxtory.com/v2-download-en.html

Thanks again for all yout time and patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant hear the audio with your test part using WMP or VLC  but when I play it using G-Spot I can hear the test voice.

picture074.jpg

picture075.jpg

Havent tried with Premiere yet.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WMP and VLC on my system only play the first stereo track.  I can force VLC to play the second stereo track, but it won't play both sets of stereo tracks together.  It's possible that installing the dxtory codec would change that behavior, but it won't help in Pr.  Dxtory is 32-bit only, and Pr needs a 64-bit codec.  Pr can see the video despite the lack of the codec being installed because it's a flavor of MPEG4 that Pr's native MPEG4 importer can interpret.  But that importer doesn't know what to do with the second stereo track, just like WMP doesn't know what to do with it when the dxtory codec isn't installed.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually surprised that Pr can import this at all--the video is Xvid. Maybe it's some variant that Pr's importers can handle, as Jeff suggested. I dunno--it doesn't play well for me, regardless, and I'm not going to install the Dxtory codec to find out.

Anyway, to the matter at hand: while AVIs can, apparently, contain multiple audio tracks, Pr's importers are limited to a single track. However, Pr has other importers than can handle multiple audio tracks. QuickTime--which is a wholly different process--supports multiple audio tracks, as does MXF (some flavors). However, Xvid in QuickTime (which is feasible) won't import in Pr (at least on a PC), and Xvid won't go into an MXF file at all; that means you'd have to transcode. Personally, this would be my choice--but I found that the original clip played back pretty terribly, so that would be why I'd go that route.

Additionally, you could extract the second audio track to a separate WAV file, import both the AVI and WAV, and then use the Merge Clips feature to marry them together as one pseudo-clip. Not perfect, but it would work. The benefit is that you don't re-encode anything.

So, I've got solutions for both the re-encode/MXF option (my preference) and the AVI/WAV option. Here's proof of the MXF (transcoded video to XDCAMHD422 50Mbps) with four audio channels (stereo must be split to dual mono):

xvidmxf.png

At the end of the day, these (or a variation of them) are your only options. Pr simply won't import multiple audio tracks (even dual mono) in an AVI container. Let me know if you're interested in either of the solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin

Thanks to put some of your time into my problem.

Well, both solutions you provided I've already considered. Re-encode the file or extracting the audio will add an aditional stage in the video prodution, and since I have a lot of videos to finish, this will add some hours in the final process. The perfect world would be if Pr just import the file with all the tracks, like your screenshot, with one drag 'n drop. I saw other discussions on the web and there is no solution, unless if I go to another software.

Like I said, for me Pr is importing the video correctly, without any problems. The only problem is the aditional audio track that is ignored.

I think I will stick with the audio extraction solution, because still faster than re-encode.

Thanks again for everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand the desire to keep it as simple as possible. If you want, I have a simple script that will extract the second audio track to a separate WAV file, so that you can do all the files in a batch without having to do each one individually. Let me know if you want that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, sure. I would be glad if you provide me this script.

And errrrrrr..  how do I use it???

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alrighty, then...

Download this file first: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vl67maant5i6n81/avi2wav.zip. Extract the two files inside it into your folder containing the AVIs. Then, just double click the "avi2wav.bat" file. This will run a batch and extract the second audio track from all of the AVIs to new WAV files with the same name as the original AVI, e.g. ABC.avi and ABC.wav.

When the entire folder is processed, import both the AVIs and WAVs into Premiere Pro. Pr will still only recognize the first audio track in the AVIs, but the WAVs will be your second audio track. In the bin/Project Panel, select each pair of files, right-click and select Merge Clips; this will create a new merged clip with the original video, and four mono audio tracks. Merged clips only can have mono tracks, even though both of the originals were stereo. If that's a problem, just skip the Merge Clips step and drop both clips into a sequence as stereo audio; you can link or group them if you like.

Hope that helps a bit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you sir, are a god. I just started using MSI Afterburner to record and paid like 30$ so i can get a decent MJPEG codec which apparently you HAVE to have in order for adobe premiere to edit an avi file, any other flavor of ati such as x264 or whatever just jitters and breaks in adobe premiere.

The main problem is MSI apparently creates an AVI file with multiple audio TRACKS, and yes they ARE stereo (you CAN do that btw not two mono) Avi apparently can do what MKV can do somewhat... Speaking of MKV, you all should be outright ashamed of yourselves for not supporting mkv, its one of THE best and most versatile formats in existence right now. Not surprised, my photoshop elements 13 doesnt support importing video to frames and limits me on how big i can make a GIF >.> a pro picture editing software saying my GIF is too big >.> you DO know you can make 60fps gifs right? this is 2015 adobe get with it.

But yeah, i used your script and it gave me my MIC track so i dont have to use audacity and do a countdown and try to sync up the audio and use multiple softwares and hours of fudging to do a simple task.

Thank god my elgato just spits out game and audio in its own track and audio from mic in a seperate one all for me.

So with anyone that uses MSI afterburner to record and adobe premiere your unfortunate solution for best video compatibility is to buy(if your able) the Morgan MJPEG codec (most likely 64 bit one) the demo leaves a tiny smiley face watermark in the upper right.

in msi afterburner leave downmix multichannel audio to stereo (yes, you can even do surround apparently on multiple audio channels in avi but this makes it slightly more compatible with video editors, again being left behind adobe)

then i put those two files in its own folder next to the video folder of recorded videos that MSI afterburner makes.

Then you just drop whatever file you recorded with a mic in there, run the script and it just throw both those files into adobe premiere like you would any other editor.

Things adobe needs to support,

60fps 4k ( hate being limited to 30) youtube supports 4k 60

MKV files

NATIVE avi support

multiple audio avi support

Also adobe photoshop elements 13 cant literally do anything with GIFS.. its like the saddest GIF editor known to man. Most tutorials tell you to use Import video to frames which they literally took out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Audacity. Import the AVI file as a RAW file and then export as a WAV file. It will contain loud static, but your voice narration is there. You just have to play with it and eliminate the static and keep your voice. Best to use Audition to edit the saved WAV file rather than PrPro.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem as  Danilo Salvego, recording a lots of game footage with DXtory gives me AVI files with mutliple audio streams. I am very disappointed, that Premiere, being my favourite video editing software, is not thinking of importing anything more than the first audio track to a video footage in an AVI. This surely is a great flaw and I hope Adobe will make it better in the upcoming verisons of Premiere.

Thanks a lot, Colin, for writing that batchfile for ffmbc which extracts the second audio from the avi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you rip the Audio Streams, and Save as PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, for Import as discrete Audio files, into PrPro?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's exactly what I do. I use VirtualDub to export that second audio stream as wav and import that into Premiere separately. The tool Colin presented works, but it works slower than VirtualDub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a much faster and simpler way I found on the Dxtory forums. Right click the AVI file and click Extract Audio Stream. DONE! You can now import the video and both streams in Pr. 

An annoying bug in Dxtory 2.0.114 (latest of now): When holding the push-to-talk key whilst holding, for example, "W" (forward walk) and I press any other key, then let go of all keys, Dxtory will keep recording the mic until I press the talk key again. When it continuously records like that, pushing other keys won't stop the recording. I have to repush/tap push-to-talk to stop it, otherwise I hear keys clacking and ambient sounds. I don't see this problem mentioned anywhere on google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dxtory does not only come with a demuxer it also comes with a mixer (to mix all audiostreams to 1 audiostream). But either way... it's additional work that has to be done by the user and when processing many files it is a hassle when it shouldn't be any problem at all.

Either Dxtory should be able to mix all audiosources to one track by default - while recording - like all other game recording programs offer; or Premiere Pro should finally import just everything that's in the videofile. The latter would be my prefered solution.

I mean an AVI file with 2 audiostreams (e.g. 2 audio languages) is nothing alien and nothing new... just like a MKV with more than 1 audiostream... which Premiere Pro CS6  ignores completely (MKV that is).

edit: I'm aware that this is an older thread but as I found it via google I assume other would find it too when searching for an easy solution to import an AVI with multiple audiotracks.

Message was edited by: Mopsi Leet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's very sad, but the Premier still does not know how to handle such files! Developers simply pretend that these files are not present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines