Skip navigation
ellebelle98
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 export to transparent png - not working

Nov 4, 2011 9:14 PM

I have tried every think I know to get a png optimized transparently though fireworks cs5. I have read prior forum post, and watched several tutorials indicating ways to do this and when i try they do not work.

I created the image in photoshop and exported it to a png file. Then i opened it in fireworks in an attempt to make the png much smaller. The image will be overlaying a patterned background on the web so needs to be totallly transparent. I've tried every combination of export option and still, when I put the image in my site there is a white background.

Ive tried png-8  with alpha transparency and changed the matte to nothing. The main window in fireworks never gets rid of the white background and when i export it's still white on my site.

I've tried png-32 with both alpha and index.

When i use the png exported from photoshop on my site it looks exactly how I want it, but the file size it too large so that's why Im putting it in fireworks  but when i export it from there it's not transparent.

help!!  - Kim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 4, 2011 9:57 PM   in reply to ellebelle98

Instead of exporting it as a flattened PNG file from Photoshop, save it as a PSD and open the PSD in Fireworks. Discard the white background that Photoshop adds, and then export from Fireworks as a PNG file with Alpha transparency. Alternatively, create the image in Fireworks instead of Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • smartwebby
    51 posts
    Oct 25, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 6, 2011 4:34 PM   in reply to ellebelle98

Hi Kim,

Are you able to set and see the transparent background of your Image in Fireworks? If yes then its just an export setting you need to deal with. Check out my tutorial on using transparency in Fireworks at: http://www.smartwebby.com/free_tutorials/website-design-how-to/transpa rent-background.asp

- Anita

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 8:54 PM   in reply to ellebelle98

Can you post your image? It would be easier to suggest something if we could see what you have.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to ellebelle98

I am convinced there is something wrong with fireworks... I've been trying to do this all morning. I managed to do it 1 time with a file... I have not been able to do it since.

I've tried png 8, png 32, I know how to switch to preview mode / optimized mode and preview the transparency, it's there, it shows up. However when I save off the flattened png and I put it in my HTML, it's gone.

This is nuts, I've used the same steps, I've tried the same process over and over again and randomly it works but more often than not, it doesn't. After spending about 40-50 hours on a design in fireworks witch custom styles and libraries, I now have to recreate all this work in photoshop because photoshop at least is consistent and doesn't make me want to throw a temper tantrum because it does what it is supposed to do.

Adobe just needs to kill off fireworks if they are not going to fix this issue, I've seen it as far back as cs4 and it's still there in cs6...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to AsChi75

I think that you need to set the Canvas background to be transparent before you export. Have a look at the Properties panel.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points