Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Switch to Mac from PC to get a better performance AE & PP CS5.5 ?

Nov 9, 2011 2:57 PM

Dear All!

Id like to ask your opinion about this: is it worth to switc from pc to mac with this hardware : iMac i7 3,4Ghz Quad core 16GB 1333MHz AMD RAdeon 6970M 2GB DDR5 256GB SSD for OS, and 1TB 7200rpm HDD for data store.

My current desktop pc now:

- I7 Sandy Bridge 2600 (3,4GHz)

- ASUS P8P67 Deluxe MOB

- 16GB DDR3 RAM

- Nvidia GTX470 Asus

- OCZ Revodrive x2 (PCI-E SSD) for OS Windows7 Pro

- Corsair 240GB SSD for cache files

- 2pcs Samsung spinpoint 7200rpm 1TB each in RAID

- WD 2TB HDD data store

- Corsair 850W PSU

S what do you think.?Im curious about your experience.I never used mac (except Iphone4 :-)

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2011 3:08 PM   in reply to Dvico

My overall impression from reading posts on this forum is that PCs seem to get better performance from Premiere Pro than Macs.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 7:50 PM   in reply to Dvico

For the money, you will get better performance out of a PC than a Mac.  So whatever you spend on a new Mac, you can get something that will perform better in a PC for the same price.  (Especially if you build it yourself.)

Plus, a PC has the added advantage of not being a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 4:48 AM   in reply to Dvico

That's asking a very loaded question. You will pull your hair out trying to find a concrete answer to that because everyone seems to be an expert. For me, it was simple. I realised that more often than not, when I watched a Pr or Ae tutorial online, the person was using a Mac. My logic may be flawed, but I figured that was a good sign.

But, as mentioned above, you will get a more powerful PC than Mac for the cost.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 5:44 AM   in reply to Dvico

The best thing you could do is installing OSX on your PC. Google for Hackintosh (tonymacx86).

For the best comparing, make your system dualboot and install Pr and AE on Windows and OSX (lion).

Good luck and let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 6:38 AM   in reply to Dvico

A Mac distributor has a bias, of course hes going to tell you they are great.  Ive had this Mac Pro and it worked fine with FCP. But as much as I like it, I will be switching to a PC in the near future. Most high end folks that do compositing for films use PCs, not Macs.  Mac is on a downhill slide and more and more professionals will be abandoning it. There will be no more Mac Pros which is the work horse for most pro editors. I have had and loved this maschine for 4 yours, but the writing is on the wll. Careful research will reveal PC users have less problems with CS5 than Macs do. Your system may not be ideally designed for video work . On this forum Harm is the fellow you should speak to. He could help identify any issues you might have.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 6:41 AM   in reply to Dvico

If you want to burn money, this is the way to go. Your PC is much faster than a MAC, you will lose the hardware MPE, you lose lots of expansion capabilities, you lose affordable access to all kinds of utilities, you lose overclocking capabilities, etc., but if you want to spend lots of money and are only willing to plug in the machine to a wall outlet, forget about tuning and take all the limitations for granted, the MAC may be the right choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 6:51 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm, looking at his specs at the top, can you give him any insight about its strength and weaknesses and make some suggestions what he can do to enhance its performance with CS5?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 6:54 AM   in reply to Dvico
    Who knows the difference?..

Ask ExactImage - he is probably the most recent switcher from Mac to PC on this Forum...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 11:29 AM   in reply to Dvico

With over 540 systems now in the benchmark, I hope you forgive me for not remembering your submission, if you ever did, but try it out here: PPBM5 Benchmark

or give me your compouter ID and I will have a look at your results. Your system should run perfectly stable and fast. If not, I may have some suggestions for you to improve performance. If you don't shoot, you will never score.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 12:17 PM   in reply to lasvideo

lasvideo wrote:

There will be no more Mac Pros which is the work horse for most pro editors. I have had and loved this maschine for 4 yours, but the writing is on the wll. Careful research will reveal PC users have less problems with CS5 than Macs do.

I'm not going to get into the architecture pissing wars that always break out here, but you're saying a couple of things that need to be corrected.  The first is that there will be no more Mac Pros.  Absolutely incorrect.  Apple is waiting for the Sandy Bridge multi-chip server processors to become available from Intel (later this month) before they release a new Pro.  Mac Pros are always built with server chips, for better/for worse.  It's what makes them cost so damn much money.

As far as the "less problems" line, that's an Adobe thing.  The platform is there and ready to be used, it's just going to take some effort on Adobe's part to get their specific applications working properly with OS X.  That's not the fault of the Mac, or OS X.  It's an application development issue.  Note, of course, that within the last few years, Apple and Adobe haven't been best of friends unlike the 80s and early 90s.  So we'll just have to see where that pans out.

For the OP: I'd shy away from using an iMac for editing with PPro.  You're very limited as to the hardware you can add to it, such as extra disks, a better video card for CUDA processing, etc.  It's not a very idea system, even if it does have a fast processor in it.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 2:00 AM   in reply to Dvico

I added your data to the results page. You rank currently at #221. Easy to find if you click twice on the Date header to sort descending and your results are right at the top of the list. What is disappointing in your results is the MPEG score as you can see in comparison to the entry of keroppi right below your own entry with an almost identical system. Your MPEG score is 172 and his score is 47 seconds. One major difference is of course that you use 5.5 and keroppi uses 5.03, but even with that in mind your score is not up to par. I would have expected a score around 120 seconds. Again easy to find if you select only CS5.5 on the version tab and i7-26xx on the CPU tab and compare your results with others. That indicates to me that you have some background processes that are clear memory hogs and that also explains why the AE renders are relatively slow, because then the remaining 3 GB for non-Adobe applications may become a bottleneck. Before going thru all your running processes, you could try to reserve 4 GB for other applications and see if that solves the slow rendering in AE. If not, make a screenshot from Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653) and post it here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 6:16 AM   in reply to Dvico

Generally I like to keep things very simple. In this case you may - maybe - be helped by increasing the amount of memory for other applications from 3 GB to 4 GB in the Preferences. If that does not work to your satisfaction, then let's take the next step and you start Process Explorer and post the screenshot of the list of processes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points