• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows alternative to Apple ProRes 422?

Engaged ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

I am running CS5.5 on a HP workstation, Win 7 Pro.  I understand that I cannot use the apple prores codec as I am not on a Mac.  However, I have a client who wants footage delivered as ProRes 422.  What would people suggest as the best output option on a PC to provide the same quality?

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd use these: Avid QuickTime Codecs LE 2.3.4

Free, cross-platform, and more-or-less equal to ProRes 422. When you send the client the footage, send them the codecs, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin

Thanks for your advice which I will have a look at.  Does this suggest that none of the built in codecs are acceptable?  Although the client has asked for Prores 422, what they are planning is HD broadcasting, do you feel your suggestion would still offer better results than using the inbuilt options for this?

BTW, I am UK based and so am talking 1080i at 25fps

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there are lots of codec choices and format options in Pr that would potential satisfy any delivery requirement--but we really don't know what your delivery requirement is. I suggested DNxHD, because doughnuts-to-doughnuts, it's pretty similar in quality and function to ProRes; the compression type they both use is the same. They both provide a large, high-quality, able-to-be-edited, suitable-for-broadcast, ready-for-archive video file.

That said, if they don't need to edit the file, or archive it, or are going to be recompressing the file for broadcasting (through some sort of play-out server), then there are other high-quality options you might potential use that are already available in Pr, don't require a codec download and installation, and will create much smaller delivery files. One clear option in this regard would be to use H.264 as the codec; this is either available by selecting H.264 as the Format (which creates an MP4 and has quite a few configurable options) or by selecting QuickTime as the Format (this creates an MOV, but isn't quite as configurable). I actually do most of my broadcast delivery with the QuickTime H.264 option, and I'm on a PC.

I guess the bottom line is that you need to check with the recepient what their needs really are, and if they are flexible on format.

Hope that doesn't confuse too much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im no dessert expert, but I think the phrase might be "dollars to doughnuts". 

Dollars to donuts is a faux bet in which one person agrees to put up the same amount of dollars to another person's donuts in a bet (where a donut is considered to be worth much less than a dollar). Betting someone dollars to donuts is a rhetorical device that indicates that the person is confident in the outcome of an event, but it does not usually involve an actual bet with actual payoffs (either in dollars or in donuts).

Or , to quote Homer Simpson....."Dooouuuggghhnnuuttsssss".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I say "doughnuts to doughnuts" because the phrase "comparing apples to oranges" doesn't make sense, and I don't want to say "Apples to apples" because that's just silly and I don't want to give Apple any free publicity.

And I like doughnuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My humblest apologies . As penance I better go eat some donuts cause eating an apple might also give them free publicity. Besides, sometimes doughnuts are lots more yummy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my belief is that the Prores mainly stems from most of their suppliers being mac based and that was also the way their tech support staff lead the way.  I have assumed they wanted a format which would allow for re editing etc by themselves.  The written specs for SD are Quicktime DV25/50 and HD Prores 422 1920*1080, square pixel, Upper Field Dominent.  There's actually no other option detailed and I want to create a demo to show them what PP on a PC is capable of in order to provide HD as well as SD edits

I've used H264 for my own use (eg streaming to a HD TV) and found it gives very good results in handleable files, but was interested in what others recommended etc

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I had to deliver HD for broadcast, I was asked to deliver as ProRes, too. With agreement, I delivered using Avids free DNxHD codec. Boadcaster happy, me happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Legs2sag, was their original requirement Prores 422?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2011 Nov 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PmPhotographic, the exact request was phrased as a question by the broadcaster, as they knew that at that time I was editing using Vegas Pro. "Can you export as Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)?"

Other editiors had suggested DNxHD, so I gave it a try, and it worked a treat, though rendering time was slow on my dual core PC.

The broadcaster was happy with it, and didn't mind having to install the codec on their Apple Macs. I guess it was just another tool in their armoury of editing tools... and one they didn't have to pay for .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That web page is no longer available, unless it's only temporarily down.  I found it on Avid.com doing a Google search at... http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/en392959?popup=true&NewLang=en&DocType=1450&q=avid...

BTW, I was glad to get this info and this thread has helped me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let you know that I did install the avid codecs, and yes they look pretty good

Thanks to all who helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll offer another vote for the Avid DNxHD codecs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at Motion JPEG2000, while you're at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although you can not export Prores422 directly from Premiere on a Windows NLE you can transcode to Prores422 on a windows system.

An application called 5DtoRGB (rarevision) will do this ....and HQ and LT and Proxy... as well as DNxHD  etc...

Export a lossless intermediate master and then trancode it if it must be Prores422

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shooterns...  Thanks for the heads-up about 5DtoRGB.  I downloaded it, and the Read Me file states:  "Apple ProRes codecs must be installed in order to output files in ProRes format."  Sounds to me that rules out creating ProRes from a Windows system.  But, if you've done this, and know otherwise, I'd love to be able to pass this intelligence on to some of my colleagues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this Jim and it works perfectly.

I have QT Pro in my system I might add.

Did you download the Windows vewrsion BTW?

But ...watch this space. I may have even better news once I test a little beta program later today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks again, Shooternz.  I'm a Mac owner, but I do work freelance on Windows systems, and have associates who are on Windows.  So, no I downloaded the Mac version. 

I was a little behind on my research, and after Googling, it appears that there are a few options now for making ProRes on Windows.  Among them appears to be a Telestream product called Vantage.

BTW, one of the great advantages of ProRes over DNxHD, esp. for compositing apps, is that there aren't any frame size or rate restrictions on ProRes, as there are with DNxHD, which is quite persnickety about them.  DNx won't let you make pre-renders that are 10x1000 at 8 FPS, for example, but ProRes has no problems with that kind of thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i have developed a little plugin for AE to convert files to prores 422, you can read more about it and download it here> http://www.dubon.fr/conversion-prores422/

it's free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very kind of you to share.  I've posted your link for my Windows colleagues on the Media-Motion Ae list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also refer to this video tutorial on how to encode ProRes on Windows at How to Encode ProRes on Windows?

This gudie helps to convert various videos to Apple ProRes  format especially convert video to ProRes 4444 like convert MXF to  ProRes 4444, convert H.264 to ProRes 4444, AVCHD to ProRes 4444, AVI to  ProRes 4444, MP4 to ProRes 4444, MOV to ProRes 4444 or convert to ProRes  4444 from other video including MKV, YouTube, FLV, WMV, MOD, WTV, RMVB, WebM, ASF, SWF, 3GP, and etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i want to export a timelapse sequence from quicktime in the original resolution of the single frames in professional quality. This would be 6000 x 4000. I know that it works with apple's prores 422 codec, but i'm working on windows and prores cannot encode there. Does anybody know an alternative codec for windows which can export in full resolution (not Full HD)? Thx guys!

simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIFF sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The UT codec is free, cross platform, resolution/frame rate independent, and plays nice with Adobe software.

Ut Video Codec Suite 14.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines