Skip navigation
warpug
Currently Being Moderated

Betrayed by Adobe

Nov 11, 2011 8:29 PM

Tags: #flex #dead

Would you mind helping me explain to my boss on Monday morning that the millions of dollars we have spent on Flex development is now being abandoned by Adobe?

Donating Flex to an open source foundation is a joke. We know how well that turned out for Java...

I've invested years developing significant proficiency in Flex. It now feels like a waste of time. I'm sure there are a lot of enterprise customers with large investments in Flex wondering the same thing. Why is there no clear migration plan? Why is Adobe abandoning Flex so suddenly? HTML5/JS/CSS still has significant issues with compatibility. We have built large, sophisticated rich internet applications that were only possible due to the ability of AS3 and Flex to support large scale object-oriented development. We don't build simple web apps, we build complex data visualization tools that our customers love. What are we going to tell are customers now? Sorry, Flex is dead and HTML5 isn't quite there yet, let's try again in a couple years?

Thanks for nothing Adobe.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2011 8:38 PM   in reply to warpug

I wish I could help you with your boss...    It's gonna be a rough day for many of us. 

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 11:33 PM   in reply to warpug

Isn't it a bit of a stretch to say Flex is dead when what I think they've stopped developing is the mobile Flash player. Is that where your development time went? Into playing back Flash files on mobile devices?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 3:36 AM   in reply to John Hall

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 5:18 AM   in reply to warpug

"In the long-term, we believe HTML5 will be the best technology for enterprise application development."

Tell me which enterprise will now invest in large-scale Flex project when Adobe make that kind of statement on their official blog, i seriously can't understand at all why this happen all of sudden, it's like a true nightmare.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 12:19 AM   in reply to Fdecampredon

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't HTML5 browser based? What makes Flex/AIR special for us is we can create a browser-less experience, which gives us 100% control over the application. I don't understand who would want to invest in HTML5 unless they're building mobile applications that require a browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 5:48 AM   in reply to RandomReado

@RandomReado

You can develop HTML5 apps that run offline. 

http://pinchzoom.com/posts/anatomy-of-a-html5-mobile-app/anatomy-of-a- html5-mobile-app

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 8:38 AM   in reply to warpug

"In the long-term, we believe HTML5 will be the best technology for enterprise application development."

You mean when javascript is upgraded or replaced 10+ years down the road?  I'm sure most flex devs cringe at the thought of porting a complex front-end to html5/js -- It's hack-and-slash to get the same level of OO.

It feels like the beginning of the end for Flash.  The anti-flash apple fanboys got their way:( 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 8:43 AM   in reply to NateWeb

@NateWeb

Hopefully not. We've based all our company front-end software on Flex. I know HTML, but not HTML5 and I'm not very good with JS either. Flex was really easy for me to understand and pick-up on and we plan to continue using it. Does anyone know who will continue to develop and maintain Flex? Will it be Adobe or another company?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 8:47 AM   in reply to NateWeb

It wasn't a war between the two.

The Problem is There is No Alternative today to creating "Flex Apps" with HTML5.

There simply isn't the right JS Stack or framework.  In the meantime, I was learning Javascript... and guess what? It's exactly like Actionscript without the types. Instead of : var i:int = 0; it's: var i = 0;

Syntactically it's the same.

Though... I will miss the 'out of the box' components... extending them... Skinning them... rich interactions...

The thing is... I don't think Flash/Flex Devs are pissed at learning a new Language, We're pissed we're migrating to an inferior one.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 8:47 AM   in reply to RandomReado

Check the spoon project: http://spoon.as

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 9:18 AM   in reply to Yozef0

I would much rather program in a strongly-typed language, and I don't want use a hacky method of js to replicate what I'm doing with interfaces, events/signals, singletons in Actionscript.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 8:57 PM   in reply to UbuntuPenguin

UbuntuPenguin wrote:

@RandomReado

You can develop HTML5 apps that run offline. 

http://pinchzoom.com/posts/anatomy-of-a-html5-mobile-app/anatomy-of-a- html5-mobile-app

“I know HTML5 can get the job but can HTML5 DO the job? I’mNOT arguing that with you. I’m not arguing that with YOU. I’m notARGUING that with you. I’m not ARGUING that with you Harry! Harry… Harry… Yeah Harry… but can HTML5 DO the job. I know HTML5 can GET the job but can HTML5 do the job?”

Hahaha!

and

"I don't think Flash/Flex Devs are pissed at learning a new Language, We're pissed we're migrating to an inferior one." x2    (but modify to say: language & SDK & platform)

"Spoon" sounds good, but they need to find a new name.

"We know how well that turned out for Java..."

Yeah, it's arguably the world's leading language (career wise). 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points