Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash games on FaceBook don't work - Ubuntu 11.10 32 bit + Firefox 7.0.1

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2011 Nov 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I installed today the FlashPlugin update for Ubuntu 11.10 (32 bit version). After the update all FaceBook games stoped working in Firefox 7.0.1. They still work with Chrome (version 15.0.874.120).

System Information:

AMD Semprom 140

3.7 GB of RAM

Graphics: GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Firefox 7.0.1 (Mozila Firefox for Ubuntu - Canonical - 1.0)

adobe-flashplugin 11.1.102.55-0oneiric1

adobe-flash-properties 11.1.102.55-0oneiric1

Regards,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2011 Nov 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't anyone have any idea about this?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2011 Nov 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with internet explorer 7 , Im using  windows XP  Cant play farmville through facebook and cant play farmville on www.farmville.com either. HELP  Thousands are having this problem. Why cant anyone fix it?  Just give us a button to push, all this stuff is confusing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to the lack of official info both from Adobe and from Mozilla, I did some research on this and here's what I found out as a solution:

- I navigated to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ and the reported version was 10.1.99.0

- I navigated to about:plugins and the listed flashplayer plugin was Gnash and not Adobe Flash plugin

- In Firefox I uninstalled the flash player plugin

- In the Synaptic Package Manager, I uninstalled Gnash and Gnash Plugin

- In a terminal window I issued <bash>$ sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean

- In the Synaptic Package Manager I unistalled the adobe-flashplayer plugin and, then, re-installed it

- Back in Firefox I navigated to about:plugins to verify that it listed the Adobe Flash Plugin

- Navigated again to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ to make sure version 11.1.102.55

After that all flash sites (not only FB games were affected) came back to normal operation.

Hope this helps someone else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much!  i registered here just so i could thank you!  do you have any idea why this happened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @kfrancist. I'm glad I could help.

I have no idea why it happened.

I have two FB profiles (one for gaming and another one for social sharing). I usually have two browsers opened all the time - FF for gaming and Chrome for sharing. I noticed the issue for the first time when still using Ubuntu 11.04, after an adobe update. At that time I thought it was some kind of isue with the plugin itself, so I reversed the use of the diferent browsers while waiting for a solution in a future update. Fortunately, it solved itself with the upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10, but it happened again and I decided to look for a faster solution.

Being a member of a number of open source communities, I'm used to sharing this kind of information. That's why I dicided to post it here.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines