Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Video Stops Buffering and Never Continues

Dec 23, 2010 11:04 PM

I recently have been experiencing trouble watching a full Flash video from a variety or sources.  The video will buffer about 30sec to 3minutes of data and stop.  The video plays perfectly up to the point where the buffering stopped, but will not continue.  If I try to refresh the browser page, the video no longer loads, I just get the scrolling wheel in the center of the video screen. 

This happens on Firefox v3.6.13 (32-bit), IE v8.0.7600.16385 (32-bit I think) & Chrome v8.0.552.224.  I am using Flash version 10,1,102,64 for Firefox and IE, and Flash v10,1,103,20 for Chrome.

My Operating Systems is Windows 7 64-bit.  I have tried uninstalling Flash and reinstalling it several times.  I have disabled Hardware Accelleration and turned off AVG from any web protection.  I have cleared my cache files and said several prayers!   Every once in a while a video will fully buffer and play, but I cannot figure out a pattern to it.  Most of the videos I watch are either YouTube or Photography tutorials on sites like Photoshopuser.com, planetphotoshop.com or Vimeo.

I've done lots of searching and haven't really found anyone else with this exact issue, but similar ones.  I've tried everything I can think of and am pretty much at my wits end right now.  I'm not a technical novice but this one has me stumped.  Any assistance that can be provided is appreciated.

Thanks,

dave

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2011 7:13 PM   in reply to dav_miller

I have the same problem I hope this gets an answer

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 10:28 PM   in reply to dav_miller

Hi, Sometimes buffering may be due to the fact that the your internet connection is slow. For that you could check with your ISP.

You could also try pausing the video until it finishes downloading.

Also you may want to check to make sure you don't have too many windows open at the same time.

Have you checked here on the Adobe test site? You should see the Flash logo animate and the version will also be displayed. Test with each browser.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Go to Tools, Internet Options, and under the Security Tab, make sure that it is set to Medium for the Internet Zone.

Thanks,

eidnolb

P.S. I think you said you use AVG. The AVG addons in the browser have been known to conflict. It's not the Anti-Virus itself, which is the Resident Shield. Now you may also want to Disable the LinkScanner since it is known to conflict also.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 8:22 AM   in reply to dav_miller

Good Morning, Thanks for your reply. Perhaps we need to take a look at the Flash files.

Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back the files listed; the NPSWF files will need a right click and then click on Properties to obtain the version numbers.

Using IE, go to Tools, Manage addons. Under "Show"(very light text), make sure Shockwave Flash Object is listed, enabled and let me know that and what version it is. It should be listed under All addons and Run without permission.

Using FF, look in plugins for Shockwave Flash (SWF) to make sure it is enabled.

Always keep in mind that Flash Player is a browser addon and anything installed into the browsers has an affect. Since you are having this issue with all of the browsers, then perhaps there may be a common conflict.

Also you said you turned off the hardware acceleration. Also it is suggested to update the graphic and video drivers to the latest versions. You may want to check on that. How did you turn it off and is it still off?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 8:55 AM   in reply to dav_miller

Thanks, I'll check your thread then this evening.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 6:15 PM   in reply to dav_miller

Hi, thanks for doing all of the checking. Everything that you have done and all of your Flash files and addons are correct.

I still can't account for a reason that youtube is not loading/playing correctly, since those videos play directly into the browser. Whatever is conflicting, it appears to be one thing since all 3 browsers are affected.

When you say you disabled or (can't remember the term) of AVG, did you do this?

Resident Shield

Open AVG User Interface. (Right Click to Open)
    Double-click on the Resident Shield.
    Un-tick the option Resident Shield active.

Save the changes.

LinkScanner

Open AVG User Interface.(Right Click to Open)
    Double-click on the LinkScanner.
    Un-tick the option Enable AVG Search-Shield and Enable Active Surf-Shield.

Save the changes.

Add Ons  Disable:

AVG SafeSearch 
    AVG Security Toolbar
    AVG Security Toolbar BHO

Now with AVG, the Resident Shield is your main engine. Since you already have FP Installed correctly, that would not conflict. So if you want that activated for protection, you would be ok in doing so.

Now the LinkScanner can and does conflict and as you can see, it is disabled separately.

Just thot I'd post that info and of course I'm sure you have disabled the AVG addons.

Adblock, or popup blockers off? Any Toolbars?

What of Java do you have listed in Programs & Features/Add/Remove? Any version other that the latest?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2011 8:08 PM   in reply to dav_miller

Hi, thanks for all of your input:-) I am watching that link:

This week Corey has another cool design trick for creating design elements using textures.

The audio is awesome and the video is playing perfectly!! I won't tell you my Desktop is XP/SP3/IE6 with hardware acceleration ON. (yes that is IE6) I keep my addons in IE to a minimum though.

On your Java, I would Remove all of those versions and Reboot. Then go to www.java.com and Install the latest, which I think is now vs 23. There is a problem with Java's Uninstaller in my opinion, so I don't use it anymore. I Uninstall via Add/Remove.

With Java, the websites use the oldest version that is Installed, don't know why, but they do. Some of those old addons may be an issue also. You probably know that Java when Installing will Install for IE and FF at the same time. And they advise you of any "extra" like Google Toolbar, etc.

You mentioned Kelby Media videos. I don't know what those are?

Did you use the DLM(download manager) when Installing Flash Player? If so do you have any getplus, get_atlcom Class or DLM Control in either IE or FF addons?

Let me know on the Java.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 12:17 PM   in reply to dav_miller

Hi, sorry for the delay. Thanks for the explanation on the Kelby Media. That player works well with my system. I only have WMP, no other players installed on my system.

On the DLM, no no no, stay away from that!!! LOL, It causes so many problems, believe me!! It can interfere with Flash Player, that's why I was asking.

Now that you have only the latest Java, I would check your addons (all under Show also) to make sure they have been updated. I haven't updated Java yet, so don't know if they have added any new addons. The 2SSV Helper should be disabled as well as the Deployment Toolkit(unless you are a Developer) I keep both disabled.

Back to that JW player. I know there should not be any conflict, since it's embedded, but do you happen to have RealPlayer Installed?

Prior to this latest vs of Flash Player (10.1.102.64), did you have these issues with the previous FP (10.1.85.3)? If you can recall, did you Install/Uninstall any program on your computer after the previous FP vs and the latest? And any since the latest version? Any that would Install addons into the browser is what I would be looking at.

You don't have any Flash Player files here, do you? Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 1:47 PM   in reply to dav_miller

Hi, If you have disabled all but Flash & Java in your addons, what about Windows Media Player?

Those files are in the Flash folder? Hmmmm Wonder where they came from or how they got there. That is the Flash folder and should only contain Flash files as far as I know. Haven't ever seen those before, although I have seen FlashPlayerTrust files.

I think those are Microsoft/Windows related, but before you delete them I would want to ask Pat(the one with the backwards name here:-) You can do a search, or rather I think I have an entire list, so I'll do it and see what they are for.

Those still wouldn't explain the issue with the JW Player, though. That one I can't figure out...yet:-) Have you checked to see what the system requirements are for any of those sites of Kelby? Just a thought. I know ESPN for example have certain requirements depending on what is wanted to be viewed.

On the youtube, here is a link that you may find some info:

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/search.py?ctx=en%3Asearchbox &query=viewing+HD+videos

Meanwhile I'll check those .dll files, take a break soon and get back to  you.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 5:49 PM   in reply to dav_miller

Hi, well I finally ran down those files in the Flash folder. These are file extensions, Microsoft Technology. That .mui stands for multilingual user interface. Some are DOS command, Skype, Data etc. They must be needed, but I don't think they should be in the Flash folder. I am not certain, so for the moment don't delete them. Perhaps they need to be moved to their proper location if that isn't where they are supposed to be. That's what I intend to ask Pat about.

Will let you know what he says or thinks. He may just post to your thread; depends on how busy he is though.

Do you have Skype Installed and addons in the browser?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 10:06 PM   in reply to dav_miller

Hi, The browser cache being cleared would make sense since youtube works with the browser. I clear mine at least once a day, but you may need to increase the disk space. Go to Tools, Internet Options, and under browsing history, click on Settings and increase your Disk Space if necessary. Of course, clear the cache too.

I have a link to a thread where another user had a similar issue. I'm on my laptop now, so will have to get that for you tomorrow.

He contacted his ISP and they did something and whatever they did solved his problem.

There is a debug vs and will get that info also. I'm not sure however if that would give any info since Flash Player is a browser plugin. I know even the Event Viewer/log doesn't show anything for FP.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 10:38 AM   in reply to dav_miller

Hello, Here is that thread link that has interesting info and how it turned out.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3345545#3345545 

Post#2, 3 and #7 

Also this thread is what pointed the above user in the right direction.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3345456#3345456

On the debug versions, Since you have all Flash Player files Installed correctly you may want to pursue the above if it may help with your ISP.

If you want to try the debug version, here is the link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

I had another link from researching last night and didn't bookmark it, LOL It was late so, I may have added it to my many many folders:-) I'll find it because the explanation of buffering, etc was good.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 5:59 PM   in reply to dav_miller

dav_miller wrote:

You don't have any Flash Player files here, do you? Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

Yes, I do have files in that folder - comctl32.dll.mui, comdlg32dll.mui, fms.dll.mui, mlang.dll.mui, msimsg.dll.mui.  All those files are dated 7/13/2009.  I don't see any version number.    Should those files be deleted? Could they be causing the problems?

Two interesting things here

1. that you have a Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash folder on a 64-bit Windows system; did you upgrade this from another Windows version?
    2. that you have any non-Flash files in that folder.  Can you check the version of these files (right-click | Properties)?

Do you have any other *.mui files on your system, and where are they located?  Especially, do you have the same (comctl32.dll.mui, comdlg32dll.mui, fms.dll.mui, mlang.dll.mui, msimsg.dll.mui) files elsewhere, and do they have the same date / version?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 6:43 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Thanks Pat!!

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 8:12 PM   in reply to dav_miller

Hi, Pat takes care of Hi-Tech and I take care of Lo-Tech, LOL  On that image disk, I think I'd call Microsoft and ask them why those .mui files are in your Flash folder:-)

I don't think it would hurt by contacting Comcast either and hope it helps. I was amazed at Qwest's response!! Also the other thread that helped the user from the Flash forum, that was nice.

Dave, if I can watch youtube videos, I know you should be able to with your PC/Specs!! Youtube have been warning and then threatening me for about a year to update my browser, but I still can watch their videos:-)

Speaking of youtube, I have been on their site for about an hour, gathering some very interesting info. There are many posts of people having the same problem, even after Java Script and Flash Player is confirmed.

On the debug vs, you could search the forums here, maybe some info has already been posted.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 10:15 PM   in reply to dav_miller

Hi, No you are not alone, not only on youtube forums but here on the Flash forum as well. I've seen several comments about changes that youtube have made, not only tonight, but I read them last year. And those threads involved earlier versions of Flash Player as well. I landed on one of the forums last year that had some very hi-tech posters on it and I was only able to understand part of what they were discussing! They created videos and were having those kind of issues, posting specs and (worse:-) for me anyway. Sounded to me as if someone was trying to explain  electricity, LOL

I did find some info on a test for Java Script and Flash Player test and sample videos, which I'll post tomorrow. Also clearing the cache and history and also this:

Temporarily disable popup blocking software installed on your computer to test.
    Allow YouTube.com as a trusted site in your Firewall software.
    Ensure other applications like Quicktime, iTunes, Real Player, or Windows Media Player aren't set as the default streaming application, as this might affect the video player.

Now I wouldn't put youtube in my Firewall, that's just me. I watch youtube and don't have it as a trusted site in my Firewall.

The popup blocking software is ok; thot the other player info was interesting.

Speaking of Firewalls, do you use any other than Windows?

Perhaps the switch from the DSL carrier to Comcast caused a glitch that you nor I would be aware of.

Yes, fire up that XP!! I don't know what Service Pack you have on it, but SP3 is the latest(which includes the previous ones)

Ok, that's it for me tonight.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2011 4:59 AM   in reply to dav_miller

Dav

This thread is quite old now but it may be still be very helpfulI for someone who like me (and Dav) experienced problems watching Flash videos.

After many days of struggling, trying and fighting with Flash videos finally I solved this problem. At least it works for me on my PC (Windows 7 64-bit).

Basically I removed my PC Tool Firewall Free Edition and went back to Windows Firewall. PC Tool Firewall started blocking Flash movies after one unfortunate update. Sad becaue it was quite good piece of software.

Hope it is helpfull.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 2:16 PM   in reply to dav_miller

We have been having issues with Youtube videos stopping in the middle of buffering.  We have seen this happen from all browsers.  This is in a corporate setting.  We verified that it does not happen on Windows XP machines or Windows 2003 server machines.  It consistently happens on Windows Vista and 7 machines. 

We narrowed it down to our Sonicwall 3060 Enhanced firewall. The Intrusion Prevention option on the firewall is causing the problem.  When we check the firewall at the moment the video buffering stops, the firewall Intrusion Detection feature drops the TCP connection.  Disabling Intrusion Prevention resolves the issue.  We are working with Sonicwall to determine if this can be fixed

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 10:46 PM   in reply to eidnolb

hi there,

please make sure your adobe flash is up to date and your java is also if not remove it and redownload it,...also if you are useing broadband thats an issue too, roadrunner works pretty good but the wireless broadband is another story adobe reader can also help some but makes your computer vulnerable to hakers. free up some unused file also on your computer by deleating them in your control panel add remove programs.check your virual memory also!

for more info click this site: http://www.techyv.com/questions/how-can-i-stop-my-computer-buffering-v ideos

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2011 2:30 PM   in reply to dav_miller

I think I can be of some help.    Hardware: HP P6770T, Intel i3-2100, RAM  6GB, no video card, 64 bit OS, OS: Windows 7 current as of 11/13/2011, Security:  Norton Internet Security 2011, Software:  Flash Player   11,1,102,55,  Firefox 8.0, IE9, JAVA 6.0.290.   I use Firefox primary browser.   Youtube  video involved in problem:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOoCrCeHxpI .  Video length: 2 hours, 15 minutes.    Problem: while watching the video using Firefox, the download would stop after 45 minutes.   I then switched to using IE9 and I did not get the problem.  As for a posssible red herring, both browsers have 1GB of cache, I rarely use IE9 so its cache was nearly empty.  The Firefox cache had 4.2 MB of data.   Bottom line: with the above hardware and software the problem only hits Firefox.   PS:  Uninstall obsolete versions of JAVA and, after the uninstall process is complete,  delete any orphaned files related to the obsolete versions.    I have experienced software problems caused by the presence of obsolete JAVA files.        

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to bikebrains

Hi.

Very interestng this topic.

Since a few days (AFTER upgrading to 11.1.102.63) I notice an issue with all YT videos.

the grey bar (downloading status bar) works only during the playback.

If I press Pause, the donwload process (i.e. the grey bar) stops itself. it

restarts only when I press Play again.

this happens ONLY with 480p resolution!!

by selecting other resolutions (240, 360, 720, 1080p) the download process in

Pause mode went fine!

I'd like to understand this odd behaviour with the download process only at

480p or in Auto mode.

I hope that even if I will press Pause at 480p the video will still

continuing in the download process as it did in the past with build 102.62..

thanks.

please let me know if I should to take some settings.

(the video lenght should be bigger than 30 seconds).

best,

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to dav_miller

did you ever fix this? i had same problem and use firfox 3.6 i found that the update was for flash 11 and it only works on 4.0 so i uninslalled and reinstalled falsh 10 and that fixed it. hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to cloudsplitter_38

Hi, thanks for your reply

I did resolve the issue by uninstalling and re-installing noscript

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to schützenkönig

Hi people!

may be an flash issue...

https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!msg/youtub e/Sbejm2zuXJY/vpxWX5DU2wkJ

here there are a lot of posts regarding this issue (from january). today YT developers fixed the issue with expanded window, ok, but this buffering issue in pause mode remain unfixed, and they say that until flash 11.1 there are none issues.

after a few month I guess that this is an flash issue on some systems, please look here on YT forum.

thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 5:38 AM   in reply to schützenkönig

workaround:

change the resolution for one second > doing so the buffer in pause mode is fine.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to schützenkönig

noscript: no matter

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to schützenkönig

Could you point me to the post where a Google rep says that the buffer issue is related to Flash 11.1 and greater?  I'd like to follow up internally.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Campbell, thank you for your reply.

the issue here did arise (for me) on the 5th march 2012 after a clean install of flash player, but I am unable to remember the flash build number.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/youtube/watchin g-videos/Sbejm2zuXJY

here the post:

>>Hello Karl:

Looks like your post is from way back in January. Well i have only started to experience this problem in the last week and a half.

Youtube videos intermittently stutter during playback. I have noticed that videos no longer preload [buffer] when the video is stopped no matter at beginning ,middle or end of the video. I am not saying that is a solution, i am just informing you that its the only difference i noticed. I was hoping to preload the videos into the player before playback but it wont load anymore like it used to.

I recently updated adobe flash player for all browsers Opera,IE9,Firefox9, and Chome 18. They all are using the same flash version 11.2

** I was looking around on Adobe support forums and i saw similar complaints,some said that going back to 11.1 eliminated the problem.

Please advise, will be patient of course, thank you<<<

Dear Campbell, unfortunately I cannot post the link, but you can see the original post here

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/youtube/Sbejm2zuXJY/0kept2 q0jEQJ

17 mai 2012, user: pasadenagene

thanks.

YT did resolve the issue with expanded video size, ok.

but the buffering issue didnt (workaround: change the resolution for one second and return to the default (480 or 360 if 480 doest exist). no issue with HD because if you want to watch in HD I have to change manually the resolution and this task is the "workaround", see above.

on booth pc's, with IE and FF, starting from the upgrade 5th .03.2012.

1) after 5 months YT is unable to resolve the buffering issue in pause mode (after a few seconds, you go no activity in the router! I have to press play again to get the buffering working again)

2) the same video in html5: ok, no issues.

3) issue did appear with flash upgrade in march.

=> I guess this has to do with flash plgin and flash activex.

thanks a lot.

(vista32 sp2).

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers