Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Get started - How?

Jun 15, 2011 8:41 PM

I am trying to preview -- for myself only -- some testing ADPS magazines I developed two months ago.  I am a ADPS Beta program member and of course have my fresh copy of InDesign CS5.5.

Whenever I go to:

https://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com/app.html

It says I do not have access. I've tried my pre-release credentials and no dice. What's the deal?  How does one get in? 

Do I need to pay the $11,000 before I can preview my own work on my own iPad? I know Adobe took out sideloading.

- Jeff

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 15, 2011 8:55 PM   in reply to jeffyerkey

See this topic for getting started videos and tutorials:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f6017 4dc2eb12f2ca67c28-8000.html

Sent from my iPad

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 15, 2011 9:56 PM   in reply to jeffyerkey

No, you don't need to pay anything to create and preview folios. All you need is InDesign CS5 or InDesign CS5.5, and you need to install the Folio Producer tools. Use the Folio Builder panel in InDesign to create a folio. Click the Preview button to preview the folio using your desktop viewer. Download Adobe Content Viewer on your mobile device and sign in using the same Adobe ID you used in the Folio Builder panel to view your folio. (If you update the tools to the most recent version, you'll need to wait for the newest viewer to be approved before you can preview.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2011 8:43 AM   in reply to jeffyerkey

Hi Jeff,

"It launches V1.3 of the desktop Adobe Content View and spins "temp.folio" forever. No nothing. No preview."

This sounds like the Adobe Content Viewer on your Mac was not installed correctly with the latest updates. If you go to /Applications/Adobe/Adobe Content Viewer.app, what does it say the version is? It should read "1.8.0". If that is not the case, try running the AdobeContentViewer.air file in the same directory.

ContentViewerVersion.png

"Also, whwn I go onto my free single-user Acrobat dot com workspace and  click on the file "test 1" and then click preview in new Window, it just  spins and spins (In both Safari, FireFox and Chrome)"

In the latest release, we are no longer allowing users to open their folio files directly from acrobat.com. This was something that was unintentionally left open in the last version. If you are a Digital Publishing customer, you'll still be able to access these from https://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com/. See post http://forums.adobe.com/message/3742643#3742643 for more details.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 10:01 AM   in reply to jeffyerkey

Try dragging the Adobe Content Viewer.app (in /Applications/Adobe) to the Trash and then running the installers again.

You can preview your folios using the iPad Content Viewer (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-content-viewer-for-ipad/id3890674 18?mt=8). Just as a heads up, some folios that were created with the latest version of the Folio Builder tools will not work in the iPad Content Viewer until Apple approves the newest version.

..forgot to say "to the Trash"

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 16, 2011 11:10 AM   in reply to jeffyerkey

Unfortunately, the version of the Adobe Content Viewer that's compatible with the newest set of tools is not yet available in the Apple Store. You can either wait until the new viewer is approved (should be Monday at the latest) or roll back to the previous version (1.0) of the Folio Producer tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 4:44 PM   in reply to jeffyerkey

The Desktop Content Viewer comes with the Folio Producer tools installer that downloaded already.

"I dragged the Adobe Content Viewer to the Trash, and reinstalled the 1.1  tools, and it DOES NOT add a new content viewer. There is now no  Content Viewer in my Apps folder.  Please help."

"When I hit "File > Folio Preview", InDesign Launches Desktop Adobe Content Viewer 1.3.0, then the window inside it is blank"

Do you have another copy of the Content Viewer installed on your system, perhaps from a pre-release build? That needs to be uninstalled prior to installing the newest version.

Try these steps:

1. With the 1.3.0 Content Viewer Open (the one that doesn't work for you), right click on the icon in the dock and say "Show in Finder".

2. Drag that application to the Trash

3. Now, back in InDesign, use the File > Folio Preview command again for an open document. This should not open anything since there is no Content Viewer installed.

4. Run the Folio Producer v1.1 installer again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 7:39 PM   in reply to jeffyerkey

Jeff I hope it works but I would be surprised if it does.

Over the last week it seems Adobe has made some changes to the Content Viewer.

It no longer works for me in windows 7.

Things work well with the folio builder updating and sending the new created articles to my iPad but I have no luck lately with the viewer on the PC.

I am getting many crashes and messages such as "Checking Shared Resources..." with the program hanging.

I have to go to task manager and kill In-Design.

Everything worked well when this file was used AdobeDigitalPublishing-All.zip.

Lately they updated to AdobeDigitalPublishingPatch-All.zip and the Content Viewer no longer works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 8:53 PM   in reply to John Mitchinson

I must update my last post. Everthing is now working smoothly.

"This is very strange. I had no luck getting the Content Viewer to work  on my PC lately so I did a search on my computer and the file  AdobeContentViewer.air was found in the Adobe directory. So I ran this  file and now the Adobe Content Viewer is working. It may be that when  updating to the new patch the Content Viewer is not being installed.  After running this file the Viewer is working again."

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 2:21 AM   in reply to jeffyerkey

Hi jeff-- i had a client with a similar issue.  I went ahead and sent you a private message with the process i gave him to install the desktop previewer directly from the AIR package.  Its a little technical (why i sent it in a private message)  but hopefully it helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 7:51 PM   in reply to jeffyerkey

Jeff

is there another forum or support center you got this information from? I couldn't find that procedure posted anywhere.  Im looking to pick the brain of someone that has some kind of technical grasp to answer a few indepth questions.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2011 12:13 AM   in reply to jeffyerkey

Thanks Jeff! I'm happy there are people here to help out.  Now my curiosity has stirred up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2011 4:48 AM   in reply to JoyceCMYK

Joyce

It was a procedure i had written for my personal clients that had been having issues updating the Desktop Content Viewer.  I personally didn't write it here because it involves using the update package in away that it wasn't directly intended to operate.  It should be noted using that procedure should be a last resort -- and tampering with Update packages is never recommended as you could permanently alter the way your software works -- creating yourself more headaches.

It should also be noted that the procedure listed is a Mac only solution.  Update packages are handled in a different manner on windows so it should be noted that that procedure would not work.  -- but i honestly have only seen mac users have issues updating the Desktop Content viewer-- not windows.

With that said i always welcome questions and i do my best to answer them in a timely manner-- if it is a question  you think other people could benefit from i recommend posting it as a forum question -- i generally skim the forum a few times a day but there are many great people here that are always happy to help you.  -- if its a pretty specific question you can always write a private message and ill see what i can recommend.

Take care and enjoy your weekend!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 2:07 PM   in reply to jeffyerkey

Thanks Jeff- yes he just answered all my questions! Scary Smart! Thank you Bend_033!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 3:56 PM   in reply to jeffyerkey

Thank you so much Jeff and David!!! I'm just looking into the capabilities of DPS now for a possible account with my company, and I couldn't get ANYTHING to preview. I was going insane. Geesh... Adobe, you guys REALLY need to look into solving this. The hassle of this could mean you potentially losing out on some big corporate accounts.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points