Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotating Video

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Bit of a newbie to CS5, having a slight problem: How do you rotate a video in the source monitor window? I've tried a number of different methods to no avail..

Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Effect controls/Rotation to rotate a clip, but that will only show up in the program monitor, not in the source monitor. You can't change the rotation of the source material, since PR is a non-destructive editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? seems a bit odd that you can't rotate it in the source monitor but you can in the program monitor. I want to edit first in the source monitor, then put it into the program..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it makes perfect sense, because you do not want to mess with the original material, only with the edited material. If you want to see modified 'source material' you have to export first and take the generation loss in stride.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but in this case I do want to edit the original material. I've recorded some footage on my phone and it's upside down. Surely there should be the option to rotate in the source AND program monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import, rotate, export and then import the exported material is the only way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done the procedure you've outlined, It just seems daft to me that you can't rotate in both windows. It would save a lot of messing about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way Pr is set up is that you see your unaltered video in the Source Monitor.  Any editing, including transforms and effects, is done in the timeline and the result appears in the Program Monitor.

Pr is a non-destructive editor; your source files are never altered in any way.  The only way to make your edits in Pr permanent is to export the timeline to a new file.

That said, if you would like the Source Monitor to have more functionality, then please file a request here:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

-Jeff

NB: Personal and antagonistic comments have been removed from this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you're new to Premiere Pro, you'd likely benefit from working your way through the basic learning materials. There are suggestions for resources for learning Premiere Pro here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the reply's, I've rotated the video's as advised.

I'm just curious as to why there isn't an option to rotate in the source window. I've rotated three video's today & it's taken around two and a half hours to export them, the funtionailty is obviously there to rotate so why not give the option? Given the popularity of camera phone films I'd imagine that this is a fairly common occurence, this just seems to be a painfully slow way of rectifiying it. I come from an audio background, this is my first year using video editing software, I suppose I'm just used to being able to manipulate anything.

I'm learning CS5 at Uni, but anymore info is much appreciated. I'll look through the learning resources.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just curious as to why there isn't an option to rotate in the source window.

Because NLEs just aren't designed that way.

You can work around this by adding the original clip to a sequence, flipping it, then loading that sequence into the Source Monitor.  Add the parts you want to a new sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I come from an audio background

That explains why there's a bit of confusion.  Most audio editors immediately affect the original file.

Pr and most other video editing programs store editing operations and commands in the project file, and apply those operations only when you *export*.  So when you save the file in a DAW, you actually overwrite the original audio file.  When you save your Pr project, you're only saving the list of commands.  You have to *export* to get a file on your hard drive that contains the processed video.  It is a separate file from the original video file, and that original file remains unchanged.

If it helps, think of the Source Monitor as a video player, much like Windows Media Player.  In general, you don't edit or alter the video that you're watching in WMP.  Ditto for the video in the Source Monitor. 

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I realize this is an extremely late response to the discussion, but with the addition of Master Clip Effects, you can now apply a Distort -> Transform effect to the source clip and set its rotation to 180 degrees. This is a perfect fix for upside down footage that you just want to preview without going to the Timeline.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avinash Lobo wrote:

Hello, I realize this is an extremely late response to the discussion, but with the addition of Master Clip Effects, you can now apply a Distort -> Transform effect to the source clip and set its rotation to 180 degrees. This is a perfect fix for upside down footage that you just want to preview without going to the Timeline.

Cheers.

Yes the thread is pretty old, so I'm not sure if my response will still be relevant either. It's true that you can rotate it in the source monitor now, so that was a good suggestion. But the user will still have to export it if they want an actual source file which is permanently rotated. I often have people asking me to rotate their video for them and I do like to help them when I can. But when they ask me how to rotate their own video properly, I tell them, "Don't hold your phone (or other camera) that way when taking video". (unless you're only going to watch it back on your phone, then I guess it doesn't matter)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh snap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tell them, "Don't hold your phone (or other camera) that way when taking video".

I like that.

My rule of thumb is: Never turn your camera on it's side.  Always turn your phone on it's side.

You can always crop the sides if portrait display is needed, but you can't 'reveal' material that isn't there for a landscape view (which all TVs and computer monitors are.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

I like that.

My rule of thumb is: Never turn your camera on it's side.  Always turn your phone on it's side.

You can always crop the sides if portrait display is needed, but you can't 'reveal' material that isn't there for a landscape view (which all TVs and computer monitors are.)

Saving the world from sideways video... one casual videographer at a time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eikonoklastes skrev:

Cheers.

Late or not it helped me a bunch! I'm currently sifting through lots of GoPro footage where people have forgotten the built in "upside down" function of the camera, your suggestion has made my task a lot easier. Thank you for sharing, I don't mind necro'ed threads if something really useful comes out of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eikonoklastes Thank you for this solution.  I'm trying to apply it in Premiere Pro CC but can't find the DISTORT option you mention. I've selected the masterclip, and the filename shows up in the EFFECT CONTROLS panel, but I see options to modify or apply effects to it.  I've tried all the pull down menus and also tried right-click on the clip, but cannot find the option to apply a Master Clip Effect. Can you explain how to access the Distort-Transform effect?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

sorry for digging an old thread but i'm trying to achieve the exact same thing, but can't find the "master clip effects" panel, so that I can view the correctly rotated footage in Source Monitor.

Can anyone help please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another gloriously late response, but to those who couldn't get it to work:

- Double click the clip to load it into the Source Monitor

- Open the Effects panel (not Effect Controls), and search for "Transform"

- Drag it onto the clip in the Source Monitor

- Now open the Effect Control panel. There should be a tab that says "Master * <clip name>", with the Transform effect below it.

- Edit your Transform values here, and all instances of this clip that you place in a sequence will be controlled by this single master effect..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines