Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know of a way to have Dreamweaver preview in Outlook 2010?

Nov 15, 2011 6:30 PM

Hello all,

I'm looking for a way to have Dreamweaver open a file in Outlook 2010, or some workaround that amounts to the same thing. I am creating a HTML newsletter for a client and I have it working perfectly in all other email clients, it's just the infamous Outlook 2007/2010 that I need to trouble shoot now.

I can't find any way to get Outlook 2010 to open the HTML file directly, pasting code also does not preview the newsletter properly, it only shows the actual lines of code. I have tried creating a new "preview in browser" option in Dreamweaver that points to the Outlook EXE but Outlook refuses to open the file saying it requires a valid "switch" to open external files. A check on Microsoft's website reveals that they don't appear to have a switch for the HTML file type, only their internally supported format and some visual basic file types. I would be just as happy with an add-on that allows Dreamweaver to do this, or an add on that reliably previews HTML files as they would be viewed in Outlook 2007/2010.

My only method now is to paste the email into my clients online newsletter service and send out the test preview. Between the site having to save, process and send the email, and then the fact it can take up to 5 minites to then receive the email, I'm wasting a great deal of time just waiting around. Since Outlook converts all the code to bizarre internal VML formatting, I need to do quite a bit of checking and adjustments and it would help tremendously if I could find a way to preview the HTML in Outlook without having to actually send out the test email from the online service.

Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated! Considering Microsoft has broken away from HTML/CSS standards to such an extreme degree the least they could have done was make it at least possible to test/preview HTML. Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 15, 2011 6:48 PM   in reply to Ravenant211

Email the newsletter to yourself on your hotmail account and then open this email in OL to see if the newsletter is formatted correctly.

I don't think there is any other way.  OL is not a browser in the real sense but you could add it as a browser by going to:

File >> Preview In Browser >> Edit Browser List

Whether it works or not is a different matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2011 7:17 PM   in reply to Ravenant211

But it works in OL2007 on my XP system.  I am not using OL2010 yet but

this will change after Xmas 2011.

I added a new browser called OL 2007 and I can view the pages in it.

You get a window as if you are creating a new message and your page is

shown in the body of the message.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 5:15 AM   in reply to Ravenant211

Ravenant211 wrote:

Hmmn... maybe I don't know how to do this then? How did you set up a browser with Hotmail? I have a Hotmail account I use online, it's a personal account that receives a ton of spam so I have never added it to my business related Outlook 2010 client. If there is a way to get a realtime browser to show up though that would be very worth while. Are you able to edit the message in real time in the browser window? Any info on how you set this up would be appreciated, I don't think I know how

No you have misunderstood my message.  I did not setup hotmail as my browser (how can I do that).  What I said is that I have setup Outlook as my browser (Outlook is a mail client from Microsoft that comes part of Office Professional).  The steps are pretty easy:

1) File >> View in Browser > Edit Browser List

2) In the next window you get you need to click on + sign and add Outlook by browsing to your exe file.

If you want exact details including pictures let me know so that I can do it later this evening.

If however you wanted to know if you can access your hotmail account in Outlook then I can tell you that as well.  All you need is Microsoft's Outlook Connector <http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook/microsoft-office-outlook-hot mail-connector-overview-HA010222518.aspx>

Please start a new thread for your quesries so that we don't hijack this thread.  The moderator is very strict about such things.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 9:32 PM   in reply to Ravenant211

Could you try using MS Word as your Browser?  I have done this and it works within Dreamweaver.  The ingestion of HTML should be very similar to MS Outlook 2010.  Thoughts?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points