Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio problems on Macs while playing lectures created with Presenter

Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My department creates lectures using Presenter 7 or 8 and add mp3 files so that it plays the lectures and audio simultaneously. For the past several months, students who use macs have been reporting problems playing audio. When they open the lecture, the "No Audio" message appears in the navigation bar. We've come to find out that this occurs mainly for 3 reasons:

• Students need to update to the latest version of Flash Player especially if they have the Lion OS.
  • Students need to switch from a firewall restricted wireless connection to a wired connection.
  • Students are experiencing this problem on a Mac while using a USB headset.

We have not been able to find a solution to the 3rd problem and I haven't seen anyone post it in the forum. We don't believe this problem is related to Flash since students are able to play other Flash related files with audio without any problems. Has anyone ever experienced this problem and know if it's related to Presenter and if there's a fix for it? We require students to use USB headsets.

Judy

TOPICS
Presenter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Judy,

Please clarify few more information:-

1) Version of Adobe Presenter. You can check this if you go to Adobe Presenter>Help>Adbout Adobe Presenter

2) Are you not able to hear Audio i.e. audio is not playing back

or

Is it a wrong message appearing in playbar "No Audio"

3) How you inserted audio? Audio is insert from Adobe presenter >Audio>Import or PowerPoint>Insert>Audio. It is recommended to use Adobe presenter to insert audio into a presentation. PowerPoint inserted audio is not fully supported in Adobe presenter Publish.

Thanks,

Shubhi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shubhi,

We are using Adobe Presenter 7. Audio files are inserted using Presenter. The students are not able to hear audio and the message "No Audio" appears in the playbar. However, I've heard from some users that they are able to eventually hear music when they refresh the browser a couple of times without having to unplug the USB headset.

A more recent problem has come up that may be related to the USB headset problem. Lion OS users are getting the same "No Audio" message even without using a USB headset. They also have to refresh a couple of times in order for the audio to start playing.

Judy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Judy,

We are trying to reproduce this issue but we are not able to repro this issue in Local publish(publish to My Computer). To further isolate issue please give us following info:-

• How is the audio being added to the powerpoint file? - As asked in my  Previous mail. Please confirm this. Because audio from PowerPoint might now play properly while Presenter inserted audio should work
  • Is the course hosted on an LMS/Webserver? If you are uploading course to LMS then which LMS you are using and what standard (Scorm,AICC) ?
  • How is the course being uploaded to the server?
  • Please, Publish the course locally i.e. Adobe Presenter>Publish>My computer. Are you able to hear audio in published output
  • Is it PPT or PPTx Presentation
  • For slides in which you are not able to hear audio; what message you see at bottom left of the playbar. Is it "No Audio", "Buffering" or "Playing"

Thanks,

Shubhi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I answered most of your questions already but I will answer them again.

• How is the audio being added to the powerpoint file? - The audio files are inserted using Presenter only. We have a team of audio editors that clean up the recordings then all the powerpoint slides and audio files are given to the developers to upload into Presenter.
  • Is the course hosted on an LMS/Webserver? The course is hosted on a web server.
  • How is the course being uploaded to the server? We publish them on local machines then upload them to the server via ftp.
  • Please, Publish the course locally i.e. Adobe Presenter>Publish>My computer. Are you able to hear audio in published output? The problem exists as well when it is published locally.
  • Is it PPT or PPTx Presentation? The slides can be either made using PPT or PPTX. We have a team of instructional designers and faculty  that create slides so they could be either one.
  • For slides in which you are not able to hear audio; what message you see at bottom left of the playbar. Is it "No Audio", "Buffering" or "Playing"? The message is "No Audio". Let me clarify that it's not certain slides. It's the entire lecture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any Lion users need to update the following because it will affect audio.

Apple stopped shipping Java and Flash with Lion.

Users after upgrading to Lion must install Java from www.sun.com unless they get an automatic alert that Java needs to be installed by some other application. Once Java for Mac is installed, they need to clear their browser cache and reboot. Then they need to install Adobe Flash Player for Mac.

After that there should not be issues. Many customers have fixed their audio issues this way.

Also, if using headsets with Adobe Connect, always run the audio wizard the first time after upgrading to set the audio settings to match your headset. This is critical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heyward,

Thank you for your response. I will test the Java install to see if that helps us. However, the issue with the headset is something different. Although we do use Adobe Connect for live class sessions, students haven't had a problem with that once they installed the latest version of Flash. The problem we have is just playing lectures created using Presenter and using a headset to listen to them. There is no audio wizard to go through. It should just be plug and play. Users may have to go through System Preferences to confirm settings but that's about it.

Any additional information you could provide regarding the headset problem would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That Java/Flash solution is directed at Adobe Connect users with audio issues after they upgraded to Lion. Apple had a major memory bug in the first version of Lion that was causing major memory issues and threads colliding. They fixed that with the latest update.

As for Presenter issues, please call them into Support so they can take a look at your file and determine what is the cause. I took a look at the link and sure enough no sound.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming this problem for us. I will contact Presenter support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Presenter 7.0.6, audio on Mac don't play sometime. This is a known issue. Please upgrade to Adobe Presenter 7.0.7.

In Adobe Presenter version 7.0.7, this issue got fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After having this issue on my MacBook Air, I have found that on 3 separate browsers - Safari, Firefox and Chrome - If I open a Presenter file at first it plays with no audio. I then hit pause, and reload the file in the browser ( not just hit play ) and it plays wit the audio. Once you do that with any of the browsers, you can continue to play other lectures without going through the same steps.

This probably means that it is a Mac operating system - not a browser issue - so maybe the Flash file requires the OS to load something and the first play - that does not happen.

Pretty strange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heyward,

I installed the latest version of Java and then followed the rest of your steps but it still didn't work. I also check the .swf file using Flash Player Debugger to see if it would be able to pick up any errors but it found nothing. I'm not sure if you have any other tools that you can test one of our .swf files with but here's the url to one:

http://distance.jhsph.edu/breezeContent/543/viewer.swf

Thanks,

Judy

Heyward Drummond wrote:

Any Lion users need to update the following because it will affect audio.

Apple stopped shipping Java and Flash with Lion.

Users after upgrading to Lion must install Java from www.sun.com unless they get an automatic alert that Java needs to be installed by some other application. Once Java for Mac is installed, they need to clear their browser cache and reboot. Then they need to install Adobe Flash Player for Mac.

After that there should not be issues. Many customers have fixed their audio issues this way.

Also, if using headsets with Adobe Connect, always run the audio wizard the first time after upgrading to set the audio settings to match your headset. This is critical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Judy.

We have discovered we are having the same issues.,

When I lauch some of my web developer tools in my browsers (chrome, firefox, safari) it appears as though the presenter app is not even trying to load the audio on the first lauch.

Refreshing the page seems to be the trick to get it to work, but I haven't figured out how to get it to work on initially opening.

This is effecting our PC users as well, and I just confirmed that by running it in Chrome on Windows 7

I know this is not an answer, but just wanted to add additional items to the troubleshooting process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update.

I've gotten ahold of Presenter 8.

And since we had all the files that created the presenter 7 presentation I when adhead and re-created the presentation in presenter 8

And all is working correctly now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi uskiwiman,

Thanks for the update. We have to re-create them as well using a newer version but this will be a long and tedious process for us. We have hundreds of thousands of lectures. I wish there was just a patch that could be applied to resolve this.

Judy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although I'm not in the same boat per say as you, I'm not looking forward to redoing the 100 or so we have.

I suspect this issue has something to do with the swf files created by the previous version and the later versions of flash. As when I was looking at the web traffic, it didn't look like the page was even trying to load the audio files the first time it opened. By doing the refresh, it seemed to cause the already loaded into memory code to get the audio files.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a student at a major university in Massachusetts. I have the same problem!  I do not believe it is strictly a wireless issue. I can log on with a different computer sing MS Windows 7 and IE 9 with no problems at all. It appears to be a MAC issue. I cant wait to get this resolved. Thank you all for your input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you please try this.

1. Close your course

2. Launch itunes on the mac system once. If possible play for a few seconds

3. Now start the course

Let me know if this fixes your issue

Regards

Mahesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not work. BUT !! If I pause the presentation and then reload the page, it worked 2 out of three times. I hope this gets worked out in the future. My Schoo does a lot of online content (including lectures). I am hoping that the elearning suite will be my major tool. I also hope hope your organization offers student pricing. Right now it is way out of our league.

Thank you for your assistance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources