Skip navigation
altcondeslx
Currently Being Moderated

Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

Oct 14, 2011 8:23 PM

Okay... I'm almost at my wits end.

I've been doing closed captioning and subtitling for 10 years, I use the industry-standard software, I follow the workflows... and yet I cannot get any captions to display in PP CS 5.5

I've looked through the forums, watched the VideoBrain help videos and it all seems so simple.

Has anybody actually been able to get the "attach closed captions (.SCC format) to sequence" to work and display?

Yes, the output is enabled on the program monitor. The timecode is correct in the timeline, the sequence and the .SCC file.

The .SCC files work in all other software including Adobe Encore.

There are no error messages displayed.

Tech support has been unable to help at all nor can they escalate anything to a senior technician in anything under three days. I've had each tech (three) who calls me back ask me the same sets of questions but unfortunately all they are able to do is browse their own forums and online manuals which we all have access to already.

It can't be this hard and money is flowing out my window as I see contracts collapsing...

Has anybody had any success?

OR does anybody know of a workaround? I'm trying to embed closed captions in an .mxf container and was trying to use PP to create the sequence then use Media Encoder to output it.

Sorry for the frustrated rant

Dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 14, 2011 10:02 PM   in reply to altcondeslx

Have you installed the Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.1) update? If so, note the known issue listed on this page.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2011 7:47 AM   in reply to altcondeslx

> Yes. I did install the update.

As the known issue list for the update says, it breaks closed caption preview. We're working on a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 8:07 AM   in reply to altcondeslx

How are you attempting to export the video with closed caption data? Your most recent post makes me think that you're expecting the closed captions to appear in files written directly from Adobe Media Encoder. As stated here, you require special hardware and third-party plug-ins to write the closed-caption data to frames on output. Are you using such hardware and plug-ins? If so, which?

Regarding your problem with seeing the closed captions in the preview: If you put the relevant input files (the input video clip, the project, and the .scc file) on an FTP server and post the information so that I can get to it, I'll see whether I can get the preview to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 9:44 PM   in reply to altcondeslx

> What I'm attempting to do is use Media Encoder to encode a PP sequence that has CC data attached. All I want is the CC data to be accessible when broadcasting the MXF file. I understand that I shouldn't be able to see them (other than in the PP program window). However, I should be able to see them in an MXF viewer

This will not work. Premiere Pro does not export closed caption data in exported files. You need a third-party tool, as mentioned above, to write the closed caption data to video frames written over additional specialized hardware.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 9:08 AM   in reply to altcondeslx

> Oh, okay. What does attaching CC data to a PP sequence do for you then? How can it be used - direct export via firewire?

If you have the extra third-party tools, they can write the closed captions to output.

Any suggestions for third party software to do this?

The article that I linked to has links to some third parties that provide such resources. Here's the link again.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 7:54 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd,

Perhaps you might want to stop referencing that link as an answer to the embedding of CC in a file via Premiere.  You have done this in more that one posting with similar questions.  The videos in that link make passing reference to hardware manufacturers not software solutions.  The link in no way answers the question but only eventually states that Premiere cannot do what other software packages can in regards to the handling of embedding CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 8:37 AM   in reply to gotallie

gotallie,

The reason that I keep pointing to that resource is that it says what the feature does, what the limitations are, and what else is needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 7:59 AM   in reply to altcondeslx

Closed captions in embedded files are not supported by Adobe Premier. You need additional software such as Rhozet Carbon Coder (about 5k) or Telestream Episode or Vantage (you don;t want to know how $$) Even with these products, getting captions to work in an MXF wrapper is a tough nut to crack. We are doing it currently with help from a digital delivery service - Aberdeen in Rancho Santa Margarita CA . I tried everything to get captions in an MXF wrapper to work. I finally gave up. Hit up Mike Lyle there. He can probably help you. We do our own captioning in house and just export an mpeg 2 file from premier sendn them the corresponding .scc file and they transcode it to ten different formats and delvier it directly to our broadcast stations.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to Compression doctor

If you can't get your SCC caption file to display, it may be that Premiere uses a less popular version of the SCC format. MovieCaptioner has a special SCC export just for Premiere so it will display. http://www.synchrimedia.com

As far as s/w  solutions, take a look at the HDProQT plugin for QT that allows you to export directly from Premiere to include closed captions. http://www.pixeltools.com/hdpro.html It's about $1500.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points