• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open a pdf file: there was an error opening this document access denied

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2009 Nov 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could anyone help in this problem I am facing. I have scanned documents as PDF and they opened nicely but after I renamed the files I am not able to open them. I get the message 'There was an error opening this document. Access denied'. When I try to copy/paste the document I also get the message 'cannot copy accounting 3: access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in use'. I resterated Windows but still get same message although new files I scan open nicely even if I rename and/or copy/paste. Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not using Reader to create the pdf. This really is not a Reader issue. How are you renaming the file? What OS are you using? Can you upload a problemsome file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael

I think it's Acrobat Reader (or PDF) issue. My OS is Windows XP. I renamed the fie by using the right click function and Rename. I have attached a sample PDF file created by my scanner which can, unlike the files I created earleir, opened, renamed, moved to another folder. What do you think I should do? I failed to attach any of the problemsome files. May be a hacking software locked my privilages as an adminstrator to open the files in tis folder, including copy, paste, rename, open, etc. If so what can I do to delete this restriction although I am using an individual pc and not working through a network. I have searched the net for answer but my trials were unsuccessful. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I faced similar problem when trying to download AutoCad 2007 which was aborted just before it completes and I got the message:

Error 1402: Could not open key:HKey_Local_Machine\software\microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your supporet personnel.

What should I do?? Please help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 28, 2010 Sep 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2015 Aug 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scanned a copy in pdf but can't open it. I'm using MS 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2010 Nov 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: "There was an error opening this document. Access denied" - Reader X.

I have been opening PDF files sent to me as email attachments for years without problems with XP SP2-3. Now, all of a sudden, I get this message for dozens of incoming "attached" PDF files. Must be independent of PDF file characteristics because message is there regardless of whether attached PDF is plain text, encrypted or password protected,  also, Reader X seems to open most other PDF files stored on my C:\ drive. Googled the problem and there are hundreds of people out there with variants of the same problem but no apparent solutions! Here is the message:

Help!  Thanks!adobeerr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer to following questions would to isolate the cuase of problem you are facing

1. Mail client you are using?

2. Do you have roaming profile/redirected folders?

3. Do you have any anti virus/secuirty software installed?

4. have you tried reparing Reader X installation from Help-> Repair option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Mail client - not sure what this means - using Eudora 7.1.0.9.

Note that I have, until Reader X, received and successfully read,

hundreds of PDF attachments.

2. No. Everything is Eudora defaults. Nothing fancy.

3. Yes. Only AVG free. Same note as 1. above i.e. no problems for ages.

4. Yes twice. Uninstalled, reboot, install, reboot. Also tried the

"repair" utility in Help twice.

I am now seriously considering uninstalling and going back to Reader

9x. Held back by possibility that more emailed PDF attachments may be

written by more recent version and 9x might not be able to read them

all. After all, I only downloaded version 'X' because one PDF file

said it needed it.

I could send a PDF file that gives the error if that helps

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oaec,

The issue has been replicated and we are investigating into it.

By that time please access those attachments by the direct path of the attached mails in application data of the user.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2010 Dec 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My HelpDesk team started deploying Adobe Reader x and boom!!! all of these users cannot open PDF documents stored on the network, including network share folders and Network Drives.

I hope a fix is released soon, for now we went back to Adobe Reader 9.

also unchecking the "Enable Protected mode at startup" worked like a champ!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2010 Dec 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had exactly that issue before and the solution that worked for me was to move the PDF file from a network drive to the local C: drive before opening it with Reader X. Reader X's PDF reader/renderer runs in a sandbox and had issues reading from or writing to the location where the PDF file resided so moving the file to a location where I was able to successfully open a file before worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2010 Dec 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. You are sure to be right. After many hours I also found a similar solution.

In my case, I found that if I went to the email attachment file directly i.e. C:\.....\ApplicationData\....\Qualcomm\....\Attach\ - Reader X opened it no problems.

So the problem, for Adobe, is clear. Reader does not open a PDF file in Eudora (even if one right clicks and uses "Open With") but will open it if you go direct to the file itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was experiencing "access denied" because I was renaming my documents scanned to a network drive while I had the Preview Panel displaying the document at the same time I was renaming itDo not use the Preview Panel while rename documents.  In case you don't know how to turn off the Preview Panel it is in the View Tab - toggle off Preview Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100islands message on the Reader X sandboxing is on the right patht, this is the cause of the issue.  To resolve, navigate to Edit -> Preferences.  Select the General section and uncheck the box to Enable Protected Mode at Startup.  This resolved my issues with opening PDFs across a mapped network drive with Reader X.

Be aware, this disables the sandboxing, so you are more exposed to attacks using PDF scripting as the infection vector. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does the trick, thanks!  Note it also fixes the problem when saving as PDF from a Microsoft application.  This just started happening to me APR 07, 2016 FYI  For the benefit of google.  "Why do I get accessed denied when saving as PDF from Word"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the enable in protected mode that is the culprit. I was having the same issue and the suggested fix worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have detected the same issue for files opened from a junction (linked folder in Windows). If I open the file from the original location it is working fine.

It does not happen in Adobe Reader 9, only after upgrading to X.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a way to fix this problem:

- Open Adobe Reader X

- Go to Edit - Preferences - General section

- Uncheck the option called "Enable Protected Mode at Startup"

- Save the changes, close Adobe Reader and it should be fixed.

Let me know if this worked for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me stress that there is no fix to this problem yet. Disabling the protected mode security feature is a workaround not a fix. See warning above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please update to the latest update version of Adobe Reader X. Do not un select the Protected Mode dialog as that is just a  workaround to the problem.

But in that way Reader will not be secure. So we should always keep the checkbox 'Select Protected Mode' always checked.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Share the folder that the PDFs are in. This will fix this problem in some cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2011 Apr 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were already in a share

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Announcement: Would you like to help us improve Adobe Reader?

Hi All,

We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.

To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.

We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.

Thanks and regards,

Adobe Prerelease Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me when I transfer files from a flash drive to my Windows 7 computer.  This also happened a lot on Vista.  Sigh.  I know this is an old thread, but anyone doing a current search on this issue may be served by my solution:

1.  Right click on the offending file and select 'Properties'

2.  Click the 'Details' tab

3.  Click on 'Remove properties and personal information' link at the bottom of the box

4.  Another box will open, click 'OK' (Create copy will all permissions removed)

5.  Adobe will create a copy of the file with all permissions removed.

6.  You can now delete the unopenable file and rename the copy without the '- Copy' extension.

I know there is probably another way to do this, but this works.  You can also transfer the file to a flash drive and it should open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines