Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

ACE Flex 4.5 and future of Flex

Nov 16, 2011 2:43 AM

Tags: #flex #ace #certification #flex-4.5

First of all, sorry if this is not the proper place to post this question. Feel free to relocate if a better forum applies.

The question: considering that Adobe is donating Flex technogy to the Apache Software Foundation, what's going to happen to ACE Flex certifications? Will Adobe continue to offer and support them?

Is it safe to take the ACE Flex 4.5 certification exam?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2011 3:04 AM   in reply to miguel.martin

I don't think taking the exam will endanger your health. If you want to take the exam, go ahead. I don't see why it's value will change as a result of the changes. What differrence will it make if Adobe drops it? Your exam will have as much value regardless.

I went through a spate of doing these exams. Nobody ever asked me about them or for them. They all asked what I'd worked on though.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 3:05 AM   in reply to miguel.martin

Zhiqiang Liu wrote:

Hi,

I am on vacation from Dec 29 to 31 2008. During this period, if you have any emergency, please contact my manager Baogang Liu (41783).

Thanks,

Zhiqiang

I think Zhiqiang has been abducted by Doctor Who..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 4:41 AM   in reply to miguel.martin

I got Flex 2 and Flex 3 certified while I was working at Adobe. I was in the localization department but my project Photoshop Elements started using Flex, so I dove in and started learning it.

I figured certification would help, because I don't have a computer science degree (BA Japanese Literature and MBA).

Alas, I got laid off from Adobe in 2009. I was the on on the 12th floor in Adobe's San Jose west tower most into Flex, the technology Adobe was heralding at the time. But I rocked the boat once too often. When at Adobe, don't rock the boat too much. Just keep quiet for the most part and please your boss.

I now work as a Flex developer, and I think being certified helped just a little, by giving me minimal credibility. Having a great portfolio (which I don't have), and being able to talk about Flex from a technical perspective (certification helped me be able to do this) are more important.

About Flex 4.5 certification, don't waste your time. Learn HTML 5 / CSS 3 and build some simple apps for tablets. That's where the money will be.

Hey Adobe, turn off Zhiqiang Liu's auto-responder. It makes you look like cra*.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 2:20 PM   in reply to miguel.martin

Miguel,

The value of certifications depends on who you show them to..  While other developers will actually care more about what Gregory mentioned, proof and knowledge, manangment on the other hand relies on experts opinion. 

See management will usually not understand 1/4 of what you say (they nod as if they do), and have no way to tell if you actually built anything you claim you did, nor how technically impresive it might be.  So to them, a certification means alot.  On the other hand a certification shown to me, means little, I rather ask questions and can easily tell if they are BSing me or not on the technical side.

So it depends on who is your target.

BTW. Flex is not dead, nor is Flash Builder.    Gregory is a bit bitter these days don't take him too seriously.  Being proficient in HTML5/js/css is a good thing, but far from being a replacement for Flex.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 1:46 AM   in reply to miguel.martin

That is a good question.  I would assume that there is no reason why Adobe could not offer future certifications, but I certainly have no clue if they plan to do so.  That is something that Alex might be able to answer.

However your original question was about 4.5 certification.  Adobe has been clear about supporting everything existing, including the existing FP 11 on mobile browser (just not continue adding versions).  So I honestly don't see any problem with taking a 4.5 certification exam.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 2:16 AM   in reply to miguel.martin

It really doesn't matter what happens with Flex certification in the future, or any other form of certification.

The certification is a validation of what knowledge you have at the time of taking the exam. If Adobe discontinues the certification afterwards, it doesn't invalidate what your existing certification means. It makes absolutely no differrence to your qualification or how useful or not it my be.

If you think the certification has value, take it. It will be no less valuable if it's the last flex certification offered by Adobe.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points