Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe CS6 - Breaking News!

Nov 16, 2011 7:43 AM

Some members of the Adobe CS team(Dennis Radeke and 2 others - sorry, forgot their names, but they were PPro/AME team people) were in attendance at the Atlanta Cutters meeting last night. You'll all be happy to know that they revealed quite a bit about the next version - CS6. Here's the quickie info on CS6, I've quoted as carefully as I can:

- "It's coming in 2012"

- "It's going to be amazing"

- "It's pretty exciting"

I hope they don't get fired for revealing all of that info. I'm sure you all are very excited, as I was last night, to be able to gain such an early look at the next generation of video editing.

In all seriousness, they were very good at the one thing they were really there to do - convert FCP dissidents - and answered a few questions people had - again, mostly about migrating from FCP. Quite nice to hear my FCP friends talking afterward about how it's a done deal, Adobe is the here-and-now. All this in spite of the fact that Media Composer 6 is basically here now as well.

Sorry to get everybody all excited with the thread title...I really couldn't help myself. It was refreshing, though, to see not 1, not 2, but 3 reps from Adobe at a relatively small user group meeting in Atlanta (150 attendees, more or less) and this is after they've already been out here once this year. Says a lot about the development of the production community here in Atlanta for the last few years, but also says a lot about Adobe's committment to listening to their customers and working constantly to solve problems and develop new solutions that fit our various workflows. I still remember the old days where Premiere Pro was seemingly an unsupported piece of Adobe refuse, meant simply to fill a gap and keep people working with AE. Those days are as long-gone as they can be now, and the good times are rolling on.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2011 8:53 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

To be honest, I just want they fix the current bugs. Anything else is extra.

AND to show some respect, they should do it for free.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 8:57 AM   in reply to Roberio Oliveira

If you have bugs, report them here https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Updates within a number version ARE free... the CS5 I have is up to 5.0.3 (5.0.4 for Mac)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 10:35 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Thank you for the hint but I already did it. If you can, please track back this post and you will understand.

http://adobe.hosted.jivesoftware.com/message/3895074

Also this forum is not my only form of contact with Adobe, as we met with them at NAB. They are very aware of the problems, I can asure you.

Unfortunately not all bugs are fixed within the version. CS4 had its bugs, they fixed some only in CS5; CS5 had its bugs, they fixed some only in CS5.5; CS5.5 has its bugs; this one probably will only be fixed in CS6. http://forums.adobe.com/message/3942834#3942834

I guess they wont offer that fix for for free.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 11:32 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Hi Christian,

Thank you for the heads up. Somehow I feel some comfort. Those issues, the system unstability, the editors complaints, the boss pressure... it's driving me mad.

I really hope they can get better in CS6. But now they want me to test MC6...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 6:04 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

This is great! I'm looking forward to improvements focued on Mac users, similar to the focus that nVidia card users got with Mercury.

I've used every version since Premiere 4.2 in 1995 to CS5, having only skipped CS4 in all those versions. I'd like CS5.5, but really, I only want Audition back. (I had both Mac and PC versions throughout the years, and I loved Cool Edit Pro before it became Audition.) It just doesn't seem worth it to spend that much to get Audition, so I'm thrilled to think CS6 will have some sort of GPU acceleration for ATI cards, Audition for Mac, and whatever other new wizardry they can come up with. (:

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 3:10 PM   in reply to wonderspark

Audition is now ported for the Mac, with Audition CS 5.5.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 7:39 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yeah, but I'm on a Mac, and Audition for Mac isn't complete...

(Gimme some cheese with this whine!)

I'm hoping CS6 will have a complete version of Audition (like Windows users have), SpeedGrade and some improvements to maybe Mocha and Warp Stabilizer. Yum!

For now, all I get with 5.5 is a watered down Audition and Warp Stabilizer. For now, I use Mocha and my PC with the older version of Audition. (Crowded desktop!)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 10:28 AM   in reply to wonderspark

Out of curiosity, what's incomplete about Audition for Macs?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 5:26 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Some of the missing features are tone/noise generation and pitch correction, both of which I used all the time... some filters, graphic phase shifter, and revert to original file. There's other stuff that I didn't use, but it would appear it doesn't matter, because they aren't there anyway. I really was annoyed (though I've gotten over it) at the lameness of Soundbooth being watered down to consumer level. It took a while to figure out what all the silly names of effects meant as opposed to the proper names they had in Audition. I felt like they took away my big boy undies and gave me diapers again. Then, we had the Audition for Mac beta, and I was allowed to wear my big boy panties on weekends, because it was better than Soundbooth... but not ready for full use yet.

So, when they "finish" porting Audition for Mac, it will be worth buying/upgrading. In the meantime, that's the main reason I keep my old PC alive, since it has a full version of Audition on it from long ago. It will be a glorious day when Macs are fully included in the party at Adobe again. Right now, it's like we have a separate punch bowl with only punch in it, whereas Windows users get the punchbowl that's been spiked with the good stuff.

I understand it takes time to work these things out, and it's obvious that there's more marketshare in Windows to justfiy the partitioning of attention given to that marketshare.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 7:48 PM   in reply to wonderspark

whereas Windows users get the punchbowl that's been spiked with the good stuff.

Yeah, baby!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2011 2:35 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2011 2:39 PM   in reply to Roberio Oliveira

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to Roberio Oliveira

boy do I ever agree with YOU.

Matrox H264 files worked with Encore 5.0

they do NOT work with Encore 5.1

but - THEY WON'T LET ME HAVE ENCORE 5.0 !!!!!!

I've been waiting more than 6 months and they haven't fixed the bug yet.

I demand they FIX IT - FAST - AND NOT CHARGE ME MORE TO GET THE FIX.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 3:03 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Christian Jolly wrote:

Adobe guys do try to fix bugs, very very hard. You know, with the way they're planning on doing the licensing going forward, it will make bug fixes a much higher priority...make Adobe aware of the problem (through the bug reports) then I promise, they want to fix it, and they will try to fix it.

...and I don't work for Adobe anyway.

Since you don't work for Adobe, how do you know any of this? Are Adobe employees sharing confidential information with you?

So you are suggesting bug fixes is currently not a high priority for them (they can't be a high priority if a change is going to make it a much higher priority). Their model might be simply be fix any major show stopping bugs, or bugs reported by their biggest clients, and any other bugs gets ignored or left to the next major release.  In the 18 (or so) months between CS4 and CS5 I believe both Illustrator and Dreamweaver did not get a single bug fix. Does that mean no one reported ANY non-trivial bugs or they decided to focus on the next release instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 7:20 PM   in reply to s_surfer

Welcome to the forum.

Bug fixes ARE a very high priority. This is no secret, and I can state that with conviction, and knowledge - no confidences compromised. That said, I am not sure how Christian came to the conclusion that it would be a larger priority, but cannot argue with that assertion. He might well have spent an evening drinking (not that any Adobe employee would drink), during one of the trade shows, and just gleaned that info from discussion over a glass of wine?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2012 1:20 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Not sure when this went live on the Adobe site, but it raised my pulse in a good way!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

I just want my bug fix and I don't want to pay for it.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4118773

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to wonderspark

Here's the part I noticed.

"coming in the first half of 2012"

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I wanted so bad to read this thread and get excited the way I used to about Adobe product launches. But not today. You Adobe folks just don't get it. FIXING THE DISASTEROUS BUGS that your products have ought to be the no-doubt-number-one-and-there-is-no-question-about-it priority. I con't give a crap about a bunch of new buggy features added to an already buggy product when I feel like I got ripped off with the last upgrade. Seriously, how can you guys sleep?

I've submitted many, many bug reports to Adobe over the past year or two - in particular pertaining to the very well known constant crashes and memories leaks in both Dreamweaver and Fireworks - and not only has Adobe not made any progress in improving the reliability of these products, but they have the audacity to release competitive products and offer pseudo-upgrades like "FIREWORKS CS5.1" in the CS5.5 package, and WITHOUT even fixing the problems Fireworks had OR adding ANY new features,  AND YET they ask us to pay for the upgrade?!?!? Seriously, WTF? My wife an I are both UI developers and we use different computers, different make/model, different preferences, software and setups, and I can't count how ofter we look at each other and say "Dreamweaver just crashed again lol". It's disgusting. I'm not alone in this opinion by a long shot.

But the worst part of all is the insulting replies or dismissive comments from Adobe employees suggesting that all of us "obviously-edge-case" users sumit bug reports when the things we're complaining about are extremely well known, described and discussed, happen extremely often during routine use of Adobe products, and are in all other ways extremely typical-of-adobe-products bugs.

I'm a big supporter of submitting bug reports  crashes and wierd UI behaviors. But I'm not a beta tester, I paid like $2500 for this crap. And the bugs aren't rare, and they are can't be described within the context of a specific action or operation. Rather we are being asked to submit bug reports for things like "Dreamweaver crashes while I'm eating lunch and I'm not at my computer", literally, or "Dreamweaver crashes when I'm typing" - again, literally, or "Dreamweaver crashes when it's launching" or "Dreamweaver crashes when I do a save". It's just infuriatingly patronizing. Adobe employees know full well that their products crash hella-often, and they know full well that we're pissed about it. How about you apologize AND fix the problems, and then start trying to con us into your next updgrade. Maybe I don't get it, but it seems like common sense to fix the problems first. Once that's out of the way we would be happy to focus on submitting feature requests and supporting Adobe's rabid launching of canaballistic products that alienate current ripped-off customers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 10:44 PM   in reply to entremaneur

Nice rant.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I seem to recall another, saying some of the same things, though seldom as a rant - "... fix all problems/Bugs, and make the programs wonderfully stable... leave some of the 'golly gee whiz' stuff for later, and do not bother trying to support every possible format, that one might encounter... " Something like that, and I share those sentiments.

Native 3D editing, support for MKV et al, Importing DivX, working with Nokia phone-cams, and the rest, can wait until every true Bug has been fixed, and the programs are totally stable.

Just thinking,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

This is NOT a direct indication that CS6 is "about" to be released... but an oddity

Before I am officially retired (end of 1-31-12) I went to the site my University uses for staff/student purchases, to see if there was something I just "had to have" before I lost my discount

When I went to the Adobe section of the store... it said there were no products... which could mean they sold everything and are waiting for a new order from Adobe... or could mean they are waiting for CS6

Like I said, not an announcement from Adobe, but odd that a sales site used by several Universities would be completely out of product

http://e5.onthehub.com/WebStore/ProductsByMajorVersionList.aspx?cmi_mn uMain_child=34109b7e-b838-dd11-abb7-0030485a6b08&cmi_mnuMain=4f061143- 091b-de11-9c12-0030485a8df0&ws=bc66e4b5-4af4-dc11-89b0-0030485a6b08

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

having given up with endless bugs in Adobe software back in the days of CS3, I stumble across this thread (and similar)  only to find that nothing has changed.

Software still riddled with bugs, Adobe attempting to marginalise proficient users into believing they are the only ones to experience such problems.

Puts into context Apple's (and soon Microsofts?) rejection of flash.

I have no agenda here, however I am many $thousands better off than if I had loyally followed the upgrade path.

I just feel sorry for the poor sods that dutfully part with hard earned $ for buggy software from a company that doesnt respect its users.

Adobe - get with it or face oblivion

A relevant motto:

"Dont do a job unless you can do it right"

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to ilearnedmylesson

While I very much agree with your motto, I also find myself nicely earning a living using Adobe software.  It behaves quite well for my needs on my system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to ilearnedmylesson

I used to use CS3, with DV AVI video, and the ONLY problem I ever had was having to wait overnight for Encore to transcode to DVD due to a "not blazing fast" computer

I now use CS5 with AVCHD and a much faster computer, and I have ZERO problems

But... both computers were/are set up to DO video editing... having the correct hardware is a big part of success with Premiere Pro and Encore

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 12:48 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Hey - dont get me wrong - no doubt there are many that do indeed make a good living from Adobe software and there will be some that encounter more bugs than others.

From my perspective I used CS3 pretty extensively a few years back and got fed up with seemingly never ending bugs (on very good hardware) so bailed out at the prospect of massive $$ to upgrade for a new set of problems..

I was considering coming backto the fold but this and other threads and the industry move away from flash all paint a picture of Adobe struggling to get on top of their issues and most partiuclarly respect for their users.

I realise this is the view of one developer in a big crowd, however it is shared by others I know and ultimately is to the detriment of Adobe.

I may still get a copy of CS6 when it is launched but unless Adobe have changed their ways, then no way will this become the core of my work again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to ilearnedmylesson

Word.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 2:18 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Can Adobe give us an automated bullet list in Illustrator CS6? Or can they...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 2:46 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

1. Saving smaller file size

2. Inbuilt Barcode plug-in

3. Improved rasterization of objects (like corel's)

4. Improved export capability (no more of this message "the combination of artwork size and resolution exceeds the maximum that can be rasterized")

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 7:48 AM   in reply to wilkan

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T Smith wrote:

When I went to the Adobe section of the store... it said there were no products... which could mean they sold everything and are waiting for a new order from Adobe... or could mean they are waiting for CS6

Like I said, not an announcement from Adobe, but odd that a sales site used by several Universities would be completely out of product

Hey there John - that is a bit odd, but it sounds like the first explanation (waiting for order restock) because it's likely the CS6 release is still a ways out

Congrats on your retirement today!

(BTW, Adobe now considers documents dated within the past six months "current," so you may still be able to get that education discount down the road.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to ProDesignTools

As always, thank you for your attempts to help us all stay current!

@ John T, GREAT!!!!!!!!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

If they just optimized the speed of the interface and nothing else, I would be very happy. Look at Vegas, Magix, and others - working with the timeline, moving clips around, zooming in and out, it's so FAST. Premiere Pro just coughs and lags.  I'd love to see PP switch to non-destructive clip movements as well - like in Vegas and Magix how you can overlap clips at will, creating an automatic crossfade. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to Prizm4

I'm old enough to remember when Adobe did actually address version bugs (instead of compartmentalize their existence).  Long time, and more-recently reluctant, loyal customer.  Probably no longer though.  Kinda had it with them.  Otherwise I'm all fired up to see CS6.  Thanks for the info. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to wilkan

>Illustrator CS6

Since this general discussion lounge is in the Premiere video editing area, you might want to talk about Illustrator in the Illustrator forum

How to Select a Forum http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1015

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 9:22 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

I couldn't help but add my own rant... -)

I also have been using Adobe products since the mid 90th. They always were in the for-front for desktop publishing software, color management and typography. They lost control once they started the CS dynasty and started caring more for their stockholders then their core customers.

So, Adobe, farewell to you. It’s been a rollercoaster ride but I got to the exit platform and going on new rides. Less bumpy I hope and cheaper to enter.

Maybe see you again in CS XII… 

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points