Skip navigation
mindystreet
Currently Being Moderated

Brush Tool Problem

Feb 24, 2010 6:40 PM

Hi,

I have traced a picture using the Brush tool (not live trace) and I am having trouble when I resize it. It gets all fat edges?

Picture 1.png

I just want smooth lines! I've tried changing the brush but that doesn't seem to work either.

This only just started happening all of a sudden, and I can't figure out what I'm doing, not doing??

Please, someone help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2010 4:57 AM   in reply to mindystreet

Not clear what you're specifically talking about. Whether the strokes are "smooth" depends on the specific Art Brush you are using.

The Scale Strokes and Effects setting is buried in the Transformation palette's flyout menu and in General Prefs. That controls whether stroke weights (including those of Brush strokes) scale when the paths are scaled.

If you're talking about those blobs that look like ink blotches at sharp bends, that aberation occurs sometimes depending again on the artwork used to define the Art Brush and the shapes of the paths to which the Brush is applied.

Can't tell what you've got in your screenshot, because the paths are not selected. Also, post an image of the Brush itself.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 5:37 AM   in reply to JETalmage-71mYin

I don't think that should be happening is this file something you can share?

I raced part of it and applied brushes and scaled the art and did not encounter those odd thickened areas no matter what brush I used.

Did you use a brush and a Tablet to draw the art?

And is there pressure being used as setting for the brush?

Edit:

Pressure or brush settings do not seem to cause this either.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 9:51 AM   in reply to mindystreet

If you double-click on the brush in the Brushes panel, what type of brush is listed in the top line of the ensuing dialog? My bet it is a Calligraphic brush.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 1:13 PM   in reply to mindystreet

It definitely does happen with calligraphic brushes. Look at the following Illustrator file to solve it by a workaround.

Blob (AI 10 format, ca. 40 kb)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 4:11 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Infinitely clever guy. Don't get how it works. Even more baffling is how you could come up with it. Who would think of such a workaround?!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 4:23 PM   in reply to Doug Katz

Look in the Appearance panel and double-click the Zig-Zag effects line to open the dialog. Using 0 offset and 100 points per segment does smooth out the line.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 5:17 PM   in reply to Doug Katz

Who would think of such a workaround?!

That would be Kurt.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 5:30 PM   in reply to Harron K. Appleman

I am not quite certain why this work around is needed?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 11:33 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I just am baffled by this I am certain you guys are right but I cannot for the love of me make this bug manifest itself when scaling an object that was created with the brush tool with a calligraphic brush…

so what am I missing here is a video the only thing I did not try was scaling with an Transform effect and the transform panel.

http://mysite.verzon.net/wzphoto/Brush.mov

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2010 9:08 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Larry G. Schneider wrote:

Look in the Appearance panel and double-click the Zig-Zag effects line to open the dialog. Using 0 offset and 100 points per segment does smooth out the line.

Yes, but not the real point, Larry. The question is, how many guys do you know who would look at the OP's blobby problem and say to himself, "Oh, why don't we just apply the Zig-Zag effect on this? We'll set a low offset and a high points per segment... yeah that should do it."

I know none. Except Kurt. His solution seems as likely as calling in live to the healthcare summit in Washington, DC and asking the Minority Whip if he knows how to work out the kinks in the OP's calligraphic brush.

As an irrelevancy, I actually LIKE the style of the OP's artwork... reminds me of a leaky fountain pen.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2010 9:17 AM   in reply to Doug Katz

I agree, Doug, I had no problem with the OP's artwork. Actually like it a lot.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2010 11:07 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

The link to your video is dead, Wade.

To reproduce the issue, do this:

• Open a new document and zoom in (800% or higher)

• Take the calligraphic brush inside my sample file or create a similar one
    • Draw the Nowitna River with this brush

Sooner or later you'll see the blobs. No scaling necessary.

If you like the leaky fountain pen style, then don't use the workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2010 11:44 AM   in reply to Kurt Gold

I, for one, like the leaky style AND your wildly improbable and highly inventive solution for the OP (who obviously doesn't wish to leak).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2010 1:42 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Kurt,

You're right, I tried a section of the Yazoo,and it doesn't work as well as the Nowitna.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2010 9:03 PM   in reply to mindystreet

Do not use a brush just use a stroke but since you have a brush applied to the stroke you have to give it a stroke of none, so you can see what you are doing, then in the appearance panel from the fly out give it a new stroke.

The default stroke will be applied of black, 1pt it will be an even line you can now delete the previous stroke. If the new stroke is too thick or thin you can easily change it in either the stroke panel or the appearance panel.

Save the file.

You can make an artbrush as well

and you might prefer to use the pen tool for drawing such illustrations. Many users do.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 5:21 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

AWESOME thankyou .!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 8:21 PM   in reply to mindystreet

Perhaps drawing with the Pencil tool instead of the Brush tool will solve the problem.

I had a similar problem of curved lines drawn with a brush 'blobbing' when zoomed in and lines changing shape after drawing.

After months of talking with Adobe technicians I learned that this problem is the nature of brushes because of Illustrator's limited memory.

It can be reduced by setting the brushes Fidelity and Smoothness preferences to minimum and not zooming in too much.

But drawing with the Pencil tool has eliminated the problem of the "blobbing' effect and of shapes changing after drawing.

And the Pencil tool has more control and is clearer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points