Skip navigation
Mohan B S
Currently Being Moderated

Place the Excel file in Indesign

Nov 17, 2011 9:59 PM

OK there is no OLE option in Indesign.

But can we have any option like import picture.

Ctrl +D - place the Excel graph directly into indesign CS5.

This option atleast less the work rather than make a PDF, EPS file any other import like image format.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2011 5:12 AM   in reply to Mohan B S

Short answer...no.

You can place...and link...a spreadsheet or named range and it will update, but you cannot place a chart.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 3:41 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

When will Adobe and Microsoft make this work? I have worked with design and layout of financial information since the 90's and nothing has changed. I do illustrator graphs when i want the professional look but then updating is painful and relies on experience to use AI, I use excel or powerpoint and save/print to pdf when having lots of graphs from different sources. They are easy to update but then it's hard to control the design (the reason to hire me) and getting accurate output (color shifts, transparency problems, white lines in pdfs etc).

Adobe must stop ignoring this problem and produce a working solution without having to hire a database expert.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 5:11 AM   in reply to Sorkman

Illustrator has some pretty powerful charting tools. I suggest looking into those or, since you seem comfortable enough using Excel, simply create a PDF and place that in ID.

Update the PDF when you need to update the chart and you're good to go.

If you'd like something more robust, you should request it here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points