Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements and Flip HD Camera?

May 12, 2009 6:51 AM

Would like to video inner workings of small machinery to be posted on the web. Nothing fancy, just simple AB dissolves for any transitions and basic titling. Looking for opinions from users of this combination of editing sw and video camera, or if you just have an opinion. Much appreciated... thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2009 6:58 AM   in reply to Eddie Ostrowski

The Flip camera is probably not the best camera to use with this editing software. You'll probably find the video won't load into the program well.

That type of camera, in fact, isn't made for doing much editing at all. It's primarily designed for people who just want to shoot and then post to YouTube.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2009 7:42 AM   in reply to Eddie Ostrowski

As for the Export of a still image, PE will do that nicely. Obviously, the resolution of that image will depend on the Project Preset, determined by your camera's footage. It will NOT be as high a resolution, as an image from a still camera (unless it is a lower-rez still camera). Still, it will be more than adequate, when used on the Web.

For current video camera recs., I'll have to let someone else address that. I am not up to date on the features and prices on these.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2009 7:52 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I always recommend tape-based camcorders, if you plan to edit. They interface most easily with video editing programs, including Premiere Elements.

For standard video, that means miniDV camcorders. From my experience, Sony gives you the best results -- although Canons and Panasonics are also pretty good. And you can find a good miniDV for under $300.

For hi-def video, I recommend HDV. The Canon HV20, HV30 and HV40 are favorites of many HDV users, including those on our "sister" site http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/

I don't recommend AVCHD hi-def camcorders. Although their hard drives make for convenient video storage, the files are very challenging to work with and can slow down all but the fastest computers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2009 11:40 PM   in reply to Eddie Ostrowski

I'm not exactly sure why Premiere Elements does not work with the Flip camera, but just about every other editing product works fine.  Imovie on apple, sony vegas, windows movie maker (free), camtasia studio.   In fact I think premiere is about the only thing that flip does not work on.   We have sony prosumer digital camera $3500 range and several 3ccd cameras but depending on the output, if you want the web the flips seem to be fine, the biggest problem is lighting and audio but that can be a problem with any camera.

It would be nice if adobe figured out why premiere does not seem to work with the flip cameras.   Flip uses mp4 which is pretty standard these days.

Randy

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2009 5:22 AM   in reply to rjet50

As we said in response to your other post, Flip camcorder video is not designed to be edited. It is designed to be shot and posted directly to YouTube.

The challenges with editing this format have nothing to do with Premiere Elements and everything to do with the nature of these flash-based camcorders.

You'll find explanations at the beginning of this and the other thread you posted to.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2009 9:52 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I am editing clips off Flip Video HD video camera with no issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2009 9:54 AM   in reply to Zotter9

As we always say, Your mileage may vary.

Unfortunately, for those that it doesn't work with -- there's likely no way to make it work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2009 1:25 PM   in reply to Zotter9

When you have a moment, if you would kindly write out your workflow, in as much details, as you can provide and post it to the PE Tips & Tricks sub-forum, with a title such as, "Editing Flip Video - One Workflow?" That could be a great help to many others, as this topic comes up here and also in the PrPro forum. I usually link back to the PE FAQ, and to a few other articles on the Flip, and having something that is working for you would be great.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2009 1:53 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Well you are giving me WAY WAY too mcuh credit here. (i.e. I barely know what I am doing).
    The work flow is simply importing the clips I saved on an external hard drive (AFTER taking them off the Flip Video and importing them (saving them) onto a computer 1st). Actaully I am pulling a minute or two out of a 15-20 minute clip and saving the clip as an .avi file in order to create a longer video "movie" project. I would not try to import the clips direct from the Flip Camera. Get the files off the camera. I hope that is helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2009 5:00 PM   in reply to Eddie Ostrowski

I'm using the relatively new Flip Ultra HD, which captures 720p video in QuickTime MP4 format (specifically H.264). There's no good reason Premiere should have a problem with this format.

However in my experience, even though Premiere Elements 7 boasts HD support, upon importing the MP4 file it appears to downsample it to SD format and the quality is significantly degraded. Here's an example of a screen shot from the original Flip file, followed by by Premiere creates after editing and outputing as 720p QuickTime H.264 format at full bitrate and quality settings:

BEFORE

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2009 5:13 PM   in reply to bhollin

Please see post #2 to this thread, b.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2009 6:25 PM   in reply to bhollin

Posted prematurely...

BEFORE (QuickTime rendering of the native Flip file - not a still image but screen capture of video frame from playback):

test.jpg

AFTER (Note that Premiere pads the downsampled image to meet the target 720p screen resolution - even though that was the original resolution of the Flip source)

test2.jpg

AFTER (zoomed to fill the screen - note the quality vs. the first image above)

test3.jpg

Bottom line: Premiere degrades the source video quality/resolution. Am I using the wrong import settings? How to get it to preserve HD format when importing QuickTime source? As I think about this, doesn't Premiere normally convert to DV format for internal representation, which is inherently lower resolution and quality. Is HDDV the only HD format it supports?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2009 9:29 AM   in reply to bhollin

If you import form a Flip Ultra HD camera, you must conform your project settings appropriately before importing your footage.  720p @ 30 fps does the trick for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 9:16 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

THIS ANSWER IS WRONG.

The CORRECT Answer is from Akarklins at the bottom.

All you have to do is set your project settings correctly right after you click on Start a New Project. Change them to 720p & 30fps and it WORKS GREAT.

As an aside, I can't stand people like you on Forums. You didn't know the answer. Be quiet. You were wrong. It works great.

Reread what you wrote. Basically you said two things. 1) Hey, idiot, you don't know enough about video to buy the right camera. The other thing you said was 2) I know you can only afford a $200 camera, because that's what you bought, but I'm going to insensitively suggest that you should go out and spend even more than that (which you don't have, because you just spent it) on SOMETHING ELSE.

It's so obnoxious and arrogant.

And on top of all that, you are just wrong.

You know why this really makes me mad? Because I had this exact same problem and I kept coming back to it and kept coming back to and I'd do Google searches and this same thread kept coming out. Only, I didn't come to the right answer because I didn't read down far enough. BECAUSE YOU WERE IN THE WAY.

You're wrong. More importantly, you didn't know. Quit being such a blowhard. Be quiet. When you don't know the answer, just don't say anything.

If someone says: How do I get to Ontario? Don't but in in and say, "Where you really ought to go is Ottawa." If you don't know where Ontario is then shut up and let someone who knows how to get to Ontario answer the question.

You are taking up space and you are in the way.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 9:17 PM   in reply to Eddie Ostrowski

He's wrong. All you have to do is set your project settings to 720p and 30fps and it works fine. It's in the first options you see when you start the project. BEFORE you import any video.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 9:18 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Ugh. It's fine. Just change your project settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 9:21 PM   in reply to Akarklins

THIS IS THE RIGHT ANSWER. Why isn't this marked as correct. So frustrating...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2011 4:03 AM   in reply to Brady Russell

Umm - did you note the dates on the above posts? At that time (2009), with PRE7 / PRE8, Flip was a troublesome format. v9 and v10 do it much better.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2011 4:48 AM   in reply to Brady Russell

It's because this thread is over two years old and the original poster has long moved on. It's up to the original poster to say if the question is answered or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2011 6:22 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

And in that period of time, there have been two major forum software updates, so much has changed in the actual forums too.

Still, had the OP returned, and marked the thread as Answered, that marking would probably have stuck.

This is one reason that we urge all posters to at least mark a thread as Answered, when it has been. However, as as Neale pointed out, the versions of PrE have changed, and more support for some formats has been added to each, as the versions progressed - what might have been needed two years ago, as a workaround, might now be native.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points