Skip navigation
DirtyRU
Currently Being Moderated

General Creative Suite Question...

Nov 18, 2011 7:31 AM

I've got CS5.5 and CS4 both installed on my computer.  I'm running Lion, latest version.  I would like CS4 to be the default apps for everything (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) and NOT 5.5.  But if I "command i" a document and try to do the "change all" function it won't let me.  It just leaves it set to default open in 5.5, regardless of whether it's a .indd, .psd... whatever.  Thoughts???

Side note- I know uninstalling 5.5 would do the trick but I'd rather not go that route.  And if anybody's wondering why I would want to work in 4 and NOT 5.5?  Long story short I work for an agency and not everyone has 5.5, so for compatibility issues it's just easier to remain in 4 for now until everyone else is on board with 5.5

Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2011 7:39 AM   in reply to DirtyRU

As far as I know this is not something you can accomplish on the Mac at the OS level, but Soxy, from Rorohiko.com, can open existing ID files in the correct version when when you double-click them in the finder. If you don't launch 5.5 to start a file, that should probably be sufficient for ID if you also use Edit With instead of Edit Original to handle editing links. I have no idea if there is anything similar for Photoshop or Illustrator, but you can get out of the habit of double-clicking and either open the app first and use the dialog, or drop the file on the icon for the version you want to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2011 8:58 AM   in reply to DirtyRU

Right -- the other option is to control-click and use the "Edit With" contextual menu that shows up. I find that slightly more convenient than dragging to the dock, but it depends a little on my mood :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2012 12:16 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi y'all,

Just a little tidbit: our Soxy also supports Photoshop and Illustrator (and a number of other file formats). Same deal as with InDesign: direct the file to the desired app when double-clicking the file icon.

Cheers,

Kris

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points