• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

State of GPU acceleration in Flash Player 11

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused about the current requirements to get hardware accelerated flash content.

I often heard complaints that my Flash games would not run as smoothly under some circumstances, especially on OSX Lion (I used wmode=direct for a smooth scrolling).

While I was trying to get around this I upgraded to Flash Player 11 on my Alienware m11x and suddenly lost hardware acceleration for my Intel GMA 4500HD which is part of the integrated hybrid graphics. When I switch over to GeForce everything is fine.

Tested with all releases and Betas of Flash Player 11. Browers tested: Firefox 8, Chrome 15, Internet Explorer 9. OS: Windows 7 64-Bit

Now to use Flash without reduced battery life I have to revert back to Flash Player 10.3.

Then I learned about the official Stage3D blacklist/requirements and noticed that my chipset is supported but the driver version is not. It's a few versions older (8.15.10.1994) than the supported version and probably won't get updated since it's part of Dell's hybrid driver.

So are the Stage3D requirements also the requirements to get any hardware acceleration in Flash now?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

KohijinX

Simple answer to your question is 'yes, the requirements/blacklist for HW acceleration is for the player and not just for Stage 3D'. There is a tech note listed requirements more in details:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/921/cpsid_92103.html

thanks,

Hitomi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KohijinX

Simple answer to your question is 'yes, the requirements/blacklist for HW acceleration is for the player and not just for Stage 3D'. There is a tech note listed requirements more in details:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/921/cpsid_92103.html

thanks,

Hitomi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your honest answer. I already knew that tech note, but I think it is misleading and suggests that you only need those requirements for Stage3D content.

Also, I have to note that I am deeply worried by this decission. All Linux, probably many notebook/netbook and shuttle pc users are now either stuck with flash player 10 or just update and wonder why their Youtube playback suddenly looks and performs worse, especially since so many people are biased against the Flash Player these days.

Sure, it's a good idea to keep your drivers up to date, but I don't see why my GMA driver is blacklisted just because of it's version number and I absolutely have no control to even override it on my own risk (despite the fact that everything works fine with flash player 10.3).  Sadly some mobile chipsets like mine have special driver sets and cannot use the official drivers.

So as a flash developer I am concerned that it just unnecessarily limits the the appeal to the mainstream audience, since most of my clients are not really into 3D game browser expierences.

Thanks again for the answer,

Sven Larsen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KohijinX,

Thank YOU too to give us your thoughts. I think you are not only person who expressed that point so far. I am going to relay your concern to our product marketing.

thanks,

Hitomi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 64-bit Vista PC with GMA graphics. I get a lot of frame dropping with the latest version of Flash, even though CPU use is still low. I had to revert to the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have an Intel G41 Express chipset with the latest graphics drivers, and I get a lot of frame dropping with the latest Flash 11 update (11.1.102.55), even with lower quality videos. This is something that should be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines