• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get Photoshop to open a SVG File?

Guide ,
Nov 20, 2011 Nov 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to get Photoshop to open a SVG File? I know I can open it in Illustrator save as a EPS file then open into photoshop but I would prefer a quicker method than that work around.

I found a Plug-In that will do this but it cost 99 for a year license and I do not use SVGs enough to justify the cost. Are there any free plug-ins?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This very along the lines of what I'd like to see as well...

I mean what's involved?...  SVG is all paths, fills + gradients, no?   I wanted to do this to, but to change them all manually into shapes and paths seems pretty broken.

This is related to many recent (past 3-5 years) problems in Photoshop...its inability to handle vector information appropriately.

I tried importing the SVG into illustrator, and exporting as .ai, thinking photoshop would understand the data as PATH's and masks and gradients then...but nope... wanted to force it all into bitmask data..Broken!  Why can't it read in the paths and gradients AS paths and gradients?  I don't want

to convert to a bitmap...

Seems like photoshop tries to force you into inefficient format by default and makes it difficult, near impossible to change from things created as vectors and shade/gradients, and patterns into objects that are those things, whereas the default should be to create the items as objects and convert or overlay bitmask layers on top of a layer so created, when needed, automatically.  (sized for the actual bit mask and relative to the created shap layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open the file in illustrator, copy then paste in photoshop and choose your options.

That svg plugin probably rasterizes the svg files anyway, so you'll probably get better results by either editing the file in illustrator or

doing the above.

Untitled-2.png

MTSTUNER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that PS should add SVG support. At least for opening the file if anything because while I have illustrator because it came with the suite I purchased some purchase PS as a standalone product thus you must convert the file using a file convertor.

Thanks for the feedback and info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If one doesn't have illustrator there is always Inkscape which uses svg as it's native format and is open source and free.

You can always file a feature request at:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

MTSTUNER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines