Image path appearing as tooltip in the PDF documentation

Oct 27, 2010 6:19 AM

Latest reply: Peter Grainge, Sep 1, 2012 4:05 AM
Branched to a new discussion.
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2011 7:16 AM   in reply to Boggym

Boggy,

I just now figured out how to access image properties in WORD ... by right-clicking the image, choosing Format Picture (which I do for other tasks), and choosing Alt Text.  Woo hoo!  This works!  I clear the path from the Description field and click Close for each image.  PROBLEM GOES AWAY.  (I do realize that providing alternate text is an important accessibility feature; I just wish I could choose between adding helpful alternate text or turning off the feature; displaying the path is fairly obnoxious.)

So, two choices in Word:

- Save each image in a file and insert.  (For some reason, no alt text displays when converted to PDF.)

- "Format" each image and remove path from Alt Text settings.  (No alt text when converted to PDF.)

:-)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2011 8:11 AM   in reply to Boggym

Boggy,

If you can get Adobe to fix this, more power to you! 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 7:07 AM   in reply to Boggym

OK, we fixed it within RH.  I used Global Replace for the whole project.  I replaced

alt=""

with:

alt="image"

The tooltip still appeared, but it only said "image" instead of the whole network path.  Which was satisfactory for our use.  The problem is, we have to do this every time we compile.  Not arduous work, but has to be remembered.

Good Luck!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 7:13 AM   in reply to Boggym

Here was the process and SW:

on a Windows 7 PC:

RH9 - edit the project as desired.  Use GLOBAL REPLACE (not just a single topic find/replace), replace 'alt=""' with 'alt="image"' and save.

Complile RH9 project and output to Word 2007

Use Word 2007 to edit formatting, etc. 

Save and use CREATE PDF function to convert to PDF (with Acrobat PRO X).

All my links within the PDF work including the TOC and linking within chapters (to bookmarks created using RH9).

As I said above, the tooltip does still appear, but it now says "image" --which is OK.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 7:53 AM   in reply to Boggym

GLOBAL REPLACE has been in RH for some time, certainly it is in RH7.  It is not very user friendly because it does not automactically go to the path for the project you currently have opened (Are you listening Adobe?).  I am calling it GLOBAL REPLACE because it was called that at some point in RH history (I have been using many years now), but is not actually called that now.

Hre is how it works in RH9 (and I remember it working similarly, but maybe different name in RH7):

From main menu:  Select EDIT > FIND AND REPLACE IN FILES

This opens a dialog where you fill in the FIND and REPLACE fields. 

Make sure NAMED field has *.htm.

Note in the WHERE field, you may need to BROWSE to the folder for the project you currently have open and also that INCLUDE SUBFOLDERS is checked. 

Click FIND, and more options will appear, at which point you can select to REPLACE ALL>

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 8:05 AM   in reply to Boggym

Hi there

Boggym wrote:

There is nothing like that in RH7, unfortunately.

Au contraire!

RoboHelp 7 sports the very same Find and Replace. It's just opened from a different place in the application. In RoboHelp 9, you use Edit > Find and Replace in Files. In RoboHelp 7, you need to open the Toolbox pod (View > Pods > Toolbox) and the application is named "Multi-File Find and Replace".

Happy Replacing! Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 9:04 AM   in reply to Boggym

Boggym wrote:

...Mostly of our projects are migrated already to Word...

Hello again

Ummm, you mean you totally work in Word to do things? Then what? No on-line help? Is everything print?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 9:34 AM   in reply to Boggym

Hello again

Boggym wrote:

Unfortunately, yes. We used before the chm types of help whic unfortunately does not work in a network environment.

Yep, CHMs certainly aren't a choice for network deployment.

We tried afterwards the flash layer which is nice, however very slow and it cannot be used by companies that are a higher level of security, i.e. no Internet access.

I'm not sure what you mean with this. Are you referring to FlashHelp? Also not sure about your mentiion of internet access. Earlier you mentioned CHM and network, so I was sort of assuming you meant you wanted to install a CHM in a network location and run it from there. You can do this with FlashHelp and it should work fine.

I also tried the Air, however what was generated was rather big to be included in the setup, and it needs access to the Internet which makes it for some of our clients unusable.

Again unsure about the mention of needing internet access. AIR should also work fine in a typical network setup.

And so, we remained only with the printed documentation which is, I have to say usable by all our clients.

Sorry, can't resist a bit of humor here. Yep, when the car runs out of gas, the horse and buggy work just dandy! (as long as you still have a horse, of course) But I do understand the need for a workable solution.

Because we were having the issues with the screen tip and we could not get any acceptable solution till now, we had to stay with RH7 which was offering a work around, so we purchased the RH8 for nothing.

I'm not sure you got "nothing". I'm holding back on a suggestion until the end of this reply.

We could not use it at all. I had to revert all projects to RH7. Some more time wasted. Also the help desk did not want to accept that this is a bug for a long time and did not want to help us regarding the RH8 of which we do not have any use.

Indeed RoboHelp 8 does change the playing field and caused many authors headaches. That's unfortunate but it happened. And the funny thing is that it happened BECAUSE many authors were screaming for "more compliancy" with the way code is handled. So folks screamed, Adobe listened and implemented, then they screamed in a different way because they got what they screamed so loudly for.

Because of that, RoboHelp is not offering us for the time being (I mean RH7) any advantage compared to Word.

Personally, I couldn't disagree more. RoboHelp is light years and a quantum leap from Word. But that's just the way I view it.

Also I can say that it saves us some headackes due to the formatting that has to be done afterwards which is swallowing a lot of time.

I would like to stay with RoboHelp because I like some of its features and I liked very much the Air help it can generate, however it looks that the odds are against it, so I am out of arguments in favour of RoboHelp.

I am so sorry about that.

No need to be sorry. If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work.

I can't help but note that you said CHM, you said FlashHelp and you said AIRHelp. I'm not seeing any mention any mention anywhere of WebHelp. Based on what I see, I get the impression that WebHelp wasn't even considered. Was it? If not, why not? It may offer exactly what you need.

You also mention "connecting to the Internet" in a few places. So I'm confused. Are you under the impression that FlashHelp, WebHelp and AIRHelp must be accessed from a web server via the Internet?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 10:10 AM   in reply to Boggym

In your other emails that I do not see here, I am confused by what you are using RH for.  We use RH for "single-source authoring."  Here is what we do:

We update the RH Project with the desired info.

We compile and output to CHM.  We supply the CHMs to Software Integration.  They put the CHMs in the SW build so that when the user selects to open HELP, the CHMs open.  The CHMs support both Chapter Help and dialog-level help (although the latter is problematic for us for other reasons).  There is NO NEED to be connected to the Internet to use this HELP because the HELP is embedded with the GUI.  Indeed, most of our customers do not have access to the Internet when running the GUI.  But the develpers are the ones who put the CHMs in the SW build, not us. 

We also compile and output to Word, format and convert to PDF for printed documentation.  The PDFs are also supplied with the SW on the CD as well as used for print, emailed when needed, etc.  The lovely thing about RH is the ease of cross-referencing/making links and the fact that these links can carry thru to the PDF. 

Because we are supporting multiple OEMs and, more importantly, various SW releases on the same trunk, we also use the Conditional Text feature, probably more than anyone would imagine (we have run out of Conditional Text items before).  I understand that Frame also supports Conditional Text, but I have not used Frame.  We take screenshots of the compilation dialog's Definitions page (which is not quite big enough to display them all in one screenshot), to document how the document was compiled in the Revision Log.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 12:46 AM   in reply to kathyb999

I have just returned from an extended holiday to find this thread has been active again. Thanks Kathyb999 for confirming that the method I suggested works and is as simple as using a global find and replace.

The problem has been reported but the more of you who submit a bug report, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 7:09 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

Peter, I followed your suggestion and link - thanks! 

It also occurs to me that it makes no sense for Microsoft Word to store the path information in the Description field of the Alt Text area.  If Word didn't do that, Acrobat Pro wouldn't assume there's useful information in there and display it as a tooltip.

I wonder what purpose is served by having Word store this information in the Alt Text area?  (RIght click the image, choose Format Picture, click Alt Text.)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 11:42 AM   in reply to Boggym

Boggy,

Word may not be entering the image path into your documents, but it's definitely adding it to mine.  I work in Word, I copy and paste the image into Word, I right-click the image and choose Format Picture - Alt Text and there's the path.  That's where Acrobat is getting it in my case.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 12:01 PM   in reply to Boggym

Word does have an influence even when you generate a PDF only. RoboHelp does that by creating a Word document in the background and then creates the PDF. The background Word document is then trashed.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 1:53 PM   in reply to Boggym

Peter, can I ask you something about Air on the Air forum?

Can I stop you?

Ask away and I will look at it but not until tomorrow now.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 8:45 AM   in reply to Boggym

I believe you are thinking of the RH9 feature that allows you to insert page breaks in the OLH so that the page breaks there if the topic is printed. Those breaks also apply to any printed documentation you create.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 4:05 AM   in reply to Boggym

I believe this problem is fixed in RoboHelp 10. Check it with the free trial on a non production machine.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers