• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Only a single instance of this application can run" Have you seen this yet?

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

Please excuse a newbie's ignorance - I've never posted to any forums before 🙂

I am using Win7 Professional and IE9 on a well-spec'd HP PC (4GM Ram, dual core, lost of hard disk space etc).

I have successfully downloaded Adobe Reader (install_reader 10....exe @ 703kb) using Win7.

I cannot run this file (I have tried all I talk about here with Reader 9 and with Firefox;  all the same errors noted below get repeated)

The error message is headed:  "UI_ReaderInstaller" and the text in the message is "Only a single instance of thsi application can run"

The only option given is an "OK" button and leaves one having achieved nothing!

I have never had a previous version of Adobe reader on this PC; this is a first time install attempt.

If I search my PC for "UI_ReaderInstaller" it does not give any results!

Please might someone more competent that I help me out here?  Maybe you've experienced this and found the solution?  Please might you share your knowledge with me?

Thanks for reading and giving this your attention.  It is much appreciated.

Highland D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please let me know how exactly is it that you are trying to install Adobe Reader on your system?

1. Are you trying to install the application via http://get.adobe.com/reader

2. OR are you trying to download the installer manually and then trying to run the same?

Also, it would be great if you could post a screenshot of the error message that you are receiving?

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ankit

PScreen 1.jpg

Thanks for taking the troubel to reply.  Sorry if I didn't give full information (I thought I had!)

I have successfully doenloaded the intsaller to my PC (see last post and "PScreen 1" enclosed

When I try to run it I get the error described in my last post (see "PScreen 2" enclosed).

PScreen 2.jpg

I really need your help so thanks again

Highland D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try downloading the installer from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Tried that download link before as well.  It made no difference.  The problem as described still manifested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2011 Aug 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is the installer you downloaded from my link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, do you have SpeedBit installed?

I just run into this issue on a 1-week old box. Internally our organization had already found an issue with installing Adobe Flash on machines with SpeedBit installed, so I tried uninstalling SpeedBit, and then installing Reader X and it worked (not even requiring so much as a reboot between steps).

Also, older Reader (9) works with Speedbit, so you can use that if you don't want to ditch SpeedBit, I guess.

Not sure what SpeedBit is doing that interferes with Adobe's installers...

Here's a full repro for you fellows at Adobe:

1. Install SpeedBit

2. Install Adobe X - fails

3. Install Adobe 9 - works

4. Uninstall Adobe 9

5. Install Adobe X - fails

6. Uninstall SpeedBit

7. Install Adobe X - works

There may be other applications that are conflicting with Adobe, as well, but we have only seen this (so far) with SpeedBit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello gg405

Thanks for your contribution.

In answer: no, I don't have SpeedBit (never heard of it!

Amazing (to me) that all the Adobe experts here don't seem able to sort this!  None the less, thanks all for reading 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same problem earlier today while attempting to install Flash Player 10.3.183.5 on my computer using http://getadobe.com/flashplayer/

In my case, the message was headed " UI_FlashPlayerInstaller " with the text " Only A Single Instance Of This Application Can Run."

I had removed the previous version of Flash Player and re-booted the computer before attempting to install Version 10.3.183.5

I ran the Flash Player Uninstaller, re-booted the computer and tried again.   Same problem.

Core 2 Duo Processor, Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack Two, 4GB Ram and lots of disk space.

I do not have Speedbit installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was Reader Application Downloader running in any other browser tab or window? Did restarting the system help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

No to both questions,

Nothing open in any other window/browser

Rebooting/restarting and trying agin got the exact same result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I experienced the same problem and I think it was due to an incomplete download of the adobe reader installation file. I manged to solve the problem by downloading the us version of adobe reader. Just google for the installation file. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this helps, it worked for me.  The installer would download everytime, but when the installer tried to initialize nothing happened. Then I'd try and  re download and that's when I would get the message.Well turns out I ended up having two firewalls turned on at the same time. Hope that helps as it was pretty annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2011 Aug 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to adobe and u.Just because someone does not want ur google version does not give adobe the right to purposely and with malicious intent install a partial download so you can not download the product on your computer.Happen many times,different versions of windows over the years.If adobe does not want people to use their product stop selling it to vendors for use.Now to your problem.I had this problem and fixed it by going to were it was downloaded to on my computer ;something like c;\users\laptop\downloads\ or c:\users\laptop\appdata\local\temp\  go to were it is downloaded on your computer and double click on it and it should install .I went ahead and deleted all the instances of this on my computer then re-downloaded it and then double clicked on it inside of the file and it worked.I will come back tomorrow if you need more in depth procedures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2011 Aug 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

more in depth for u, go to website choose adobe reader click on save instead of run,write download were it is storing it on ur computer with pen and paper, click on view downloads to open the download manager.Delete all instances of the adobe reader.goto download site on computer something like c:\users\laptop\appdata\local\temp\ delete all instances of adobe reader,there will be one for each time you tried to download it.Re download the product once if it does not work goto download site on computer and double click on it and file should run and install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2011 Nov 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

If you still havnt found the solution to your issue, here is something you can try. Cant gurantee it will help ya.

I saw this process for installation in my task manager install_reader9_en_air_mssd_aih.exe which did not get killed even after restart. when i killed this and reran the installer, it worked fine for me. u can check if you see something similar running on your system.

Cheers !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I have been fighting this problem for over a week now.  Just figured things out today.  I had installed Microsoft Silverlight a bit ago.  I think that is the "other instance" that the computer was trying to tell me was interfering with installing Adobe Flash.  I think it is a version of Flash Player.  I uninstalled it and then installed the 64 bit version of Adobe Flash for other browsers (other than Iinternet Explorer).  The Flash player now works with Safari and Firefox.  There was a suggestion to download Google Chrome since it has an integrated Flash player and I did that.  It worked great from the start, but I still wanted to use my other browsers.  There was a version of Flash Player just for Internet Explorer, but I did not install that since I am uncertain whether or not I am going to use Explorer going forward.  It has been acting up.  I really hopes this helps some of the rest of you.

Used the following link to download the correct version of the Flash Player:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909550

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kent Boettger wrote:

Used the following link to download the correct version of the Flash Player:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909550

This is the Adobe Reader forum.  The full installer for Adobe Reader can be found at http://get.adobe.com/reader/direct/ or http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines