Skip navigation

Media Encoder Stops Encoding with the New CS5.5

May 24, 2011 9:57 AM

Latest reply: dspinell, Feb 1, 2013 12:29 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2011 9:11 AM   in reply to h2ofun

AO, doesn't switching the gpu accelerator option kinda point to that it could be a card issue? maybe try another card.

H2o, not sure what OS ur running, but I went to Nvidas site and for windows 7 there's a 10/4/11 release date driver.

Not saying it will fix it, but everyone, make sure you have the most updated driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2011 9:28 AM   in reply to AOMOVIE

Is it possible to keep using Premiere 5.5, but downgrade AME to 5.0?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2011 10:44 AM   in reply to AOMOVIE

Reading your post reminds me of a question I have. 

Waiting to upgrade my iMac to the latest Mac Pro.  Should I go back to a PC?  Did you build your system from scratch?  Which motherboard did you use?  I assume that build is a lot cheaper than any Mac Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2011 11:54 AM   in reply to Neverends Productions

This has been one of the more difficult issues for us to reproduce in Adobe.  I know you have been able to reproduce it on regular basis, but that wasn't the case for us.  With help of some of the folks on this thread who sent us their project, were were finally able to reproduce this issue on one of the machines we have in our Lab. Now that we are finally able to reproduce this problem we have written a bug on it and submitted it to our development team and set this as high priority. I know a few different developers have been working on this trying to find the root of the problem.  Once we have a fix, we'll test it internally and then if it looks like it's fixed for us, we'll invite some of you to our pre-release (beta) program to check it out as well.  If you would like to help test this fixed once it goes on our pre-release program, please send me a private message (using this forum's message sending program). 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2011 12:37 PM   in reply to RFendelman

Richard, if you're use to mac then you'll probably like a mac pro, especially if a couple grand difference in price vs the learning curve of selecting the parts and knowledge to build the same equipt pc. With mine I used the gigabit UD5 board, but thats like thier first gen board for the i7. If anything go to TomsHardware.com to look up system build specs and weigh ur options.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 4:54 AM   in reply to Nariman Sodeifi

Hi, is there any update on this issue? i currently have 2 neer identical machines one has this problem and the other does not the only difference in the 2 is one has 24gb of ram and the other has 48gb other than that there both dual quads with quadro 4000 graphics cards they both had no problem on cs5 but as soon as they were both upgraded to 5.5 the machine with 24gb of ram started to have the issue. im willing to do various tests to get this problem fixed as im the I.T technician in an animation company and this problem is proving pretty hard to tackle but the worse part is its putting are editor behind because he can't leave a cue of things to render as he can almost guarantee that at least one will drop off I've just disabled his hardware acceleration and ill report back later with my findings. any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers Jason.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 2:56 AM   in reply to Neverends Productions

Hey guys, any update on this subject? would be nice to shed some light on this issue.

Cheers Jason.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 12:20 PM   in reply to Neverends Productions

How long is this going to take?

I don't have any information on when this issue might be resolved, nor could I comment publicly about future releases if I did have that information. The best information that I have is included in Nariman's post above (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3991802#3991802).

I will give you every file I have to help resolve this issue.

Please see Nariman's response above if you would be interested in helping us investigate a fix.

I understand  your objection to the workaround provided, and would gladly provide a better solution if one were available, but that's the extent of what we can do on the Support side at present.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 12:52 PM   in reply to Chad Baker

This is still assigned to our development to fix and has a very high priority assigned to it.  If you are interested in testing this before this gets released to public, you can join AME pre-release program.  Send me a private message via forum and provide your name, email and phone.  I'll send you an invitation to join the pre-release program and you can then test it once we have a fix available.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 7:18 AM   in reply to Nariman Sodeifi

I am having this exact same issue with CS4.  I have an Intel I7, 24GB of Ram, GeForce 9800 GT.  I cannot Encode with AME nor Encore.  The encode just freezes., not always at the same spot, NO error messages.  I have litterally been trying to solve this for weeks.  From the looks of this post there is not much hope.

I am tring to encode 720p 59.94fps.  I have read other posts about this problem showing up in CS5.5 but I am here to tell you I am experienceing the exact same symptoms in CS4.2.1

PLEASE if ther is any solution send me the info.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 7:59 AM   in reply to Pedaling Duo Productions

What are you trying to encode?  A DVD?  BR?  H.264 file?  I have given up on AME.  I just encode from PPro for my H.264 stuff.  Is there a way to use AME with Encore?  If so, never tried.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 8:28 AM   in reply to Pedaling Duo Productions

I was having a lot of problems with AME also as you can see from previous posts.  My solution, which works for all the formats I throw at it, is to start the encode and close PPro.  That's not the way it should be working, but it works for me to get stuff out.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 8:47 AM   in reply to RFendelman

Richard, I have tried the close Ppro but at times this did not work either.  Since my encodes were taking 20 hours, I just gave up,  Going straight from PPro works 100% of the time, so heck with AME for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 8:50 AM   in reply to RFendelman

Thanks. I’ll try it

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 8:55 AM   in reply to h2ofun

I was under the impression that Encore uses AME to do the encoding.  I am trying to go from HD 720p to a standard definition DVD.  Jeff Bellune had a tutorial involving a two step encoding to get the best results.  I have done other projects quite successfully with his method and the suddenly, in the middle of a wedding project that I am doing, this failure to encode popped up and it has been a nightmare ever since.  I do not know what if anything changed on my system.

How do you encode from PPro without using AME?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 9:16 AM   in reply to Pedaling Duo Productions

To encode straight out of PP just click "export" rather than "queue" in the Export Settings Window bottom right.

I stress to every body to make sure and go to your cards manufacturer site and ensure you have the latest driver, that means if you installed it a week ago, there still might be an updated driver. This is very important if you're using Nvidia GTX cards in my own personal experience.

and to the guy encoding for 20 hours, I'd not even bother using ame for that anyway, ame really only helps if you're queuing up lots of clips over night or something.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 9:46 AM   in reply to Paul_Duffey

Paul, I had been trying to que up like 5 of these encodings at a time.  It would allow me to get 24 hours a day of encoding.  But when they kept failing, I just gave up.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 9:58 AM   in reply to h2ofun

Hey if you get in a bind I'm sure there's some people on the board that would do the rendering for you, including me. Just let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 11:55 AM   in reply to Paul_Duffey

Thanks for the offer Paul.  I want to beat my head against this for a little while longer and see where I get.

In CS4 if you use export, it opens AME does it not?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 12:20 PM   in reply to Pedaling Duo Productions

Thats cool, if you did have someone like me do it for you then I'd buy you're drive if you didnt wanted to save a little with shipping back, etc. I'm looking to build a raid in my system anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 7:19 PM   in reply to Paul_Duffey

Again, thanks for the offer.  I was able to do as someone suggested and use After Effects to encode my sequences; slow but it worked.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2011 6:41 PM   in reply to Pedaling Duo Productions

I have the same problem here guys on 2 machines built to exact adobe specs with the GTX 5800 cards. encoder just freezes randomly for no apparent reason.

My workaround for months, has been to shut down premiere and all the background processes via task manager, then open the old AME version 5 and load the sequences directly on it.

It takes forever to load a sequence that way, but at least it works without switching the MPE off.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2011 12:36 PM   in reply to Neverends Productions

I had this same problem it was very infuriating to buy such expensive software only to have it not work randomly. I seemed to have fixed it somehow though, I turned off all of my firewalls and now I have no problems what so ever with encoding.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2011 4:26 PM   in reply to RobertJB3

I ended up having to encode my sequences with After Effects.  That seemed to work.  I am going to wipe everything and do a new install of the operating system and the programs.  I do not know what precipitated this problem.  I did not have this trouble in the past.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2011 2:37 AM   in reply to RobertJB3

I tried your solution Robert, but i still have the same problem, the darn thing just freezes randomly. I tried Adobe's suggestion by turning the MPE off and it works ok but takes a very long time to render.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2011 10:06 PM   in reply to Neverends Productions

This is a seriously annoying problem...it's now effecting my shorter sequences. What could possibly cause AME to just stop encoding? with no errors or anything? The problem seems to go away after a restart but it shortly returns...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 5:08 AM   in reply to RobertJB3

I am going to try wiping the OS tonight and starting from square 1.  Again I am using CS4 with the latest updates and I am having this issue.  I considered upgrading to CS5.5 to solve this but now I am glad that I did not spend the money.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 5:13 AM   in reply to Pedaling Duo Productions

Good luck!

Sent from DisKreet Digital iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 6:41 AM   in reply to Pedaling Duo Productions

Hi I have had the same problem I found I got rid of it by changing the graphics card and loading the latest drivers. I think its a grahics memory issue. My propblems started when I did a load of updates and even after rolling everything back it still did not go away. I know some find not queueuing the render gets them through with out it stopping.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 8:12 AM   in reply to miketrobo

Mike it was the same for me, I bought a new GTX 570 from the manufacturer, loaded the drivers off the disk, and had this problem happening consistantly over and over again with sequences from 7 mins and up. I'd thought I had the latest drivers because it was a new card. I went to the manufacturer's site and saw there was a driver that was released like in the last month. After I installed the "actual latest drivers", I never had the problem again.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 8:34 AM   in reply to Paul_Duffey

GTX 580 current drivers - constant failures still - I think I have a

sign-up for pre-release software kicking around here - I mean to try 'their

new fix'

AME's 'queue' database is a super weak (is it text file???) and when you

kill AME it loses control of what's been done and what's not - on reboot

the queue will often reflect things to do that it has already done - if you

add this problem to that problem running with the preference "output:

increment output file name if file with same name exists you get like 2^32

copies of the same file.  And unfortunately the AME presets do not allow

you to influence the left side of the output file name.  Basically you have

to use something else (Post-It notes perhaps) to control your Adobe

Creative Suite workflow - cause it's broken right here in AME kids.

BTW Great sheep sound when you turn off the "increment output file name"

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 9:13 AM   in reply to DirtyLowPull

Maybe it's worth mentioning my GTX 570 video card brand EVGA. I think in this thread we've established that it's a card or cuda issue, we've also established for a lot of people it's a VGA driver issue. For people wanting to reload their whole system, or dealing with rendering on a regular basis, I think the next step could be purchasing another Cuda card.

Maybe Miketrobo, you list your exact brand of card too.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 2:13 PM   in reply to DirtyLowPull

GTX 580 by Gigabyte, with the latest drivers, still freezes AME. This does not happen with the old version 5 AME.

I have Premiere pro version 5 as well loaded in the PC which comes with AME version 5 , when I'm ready to render, I close Premiere 5.5, load the AME 5 manually and import the timelines from Premiere 5.5 to render, at list this way I can use the MPE and render quick. The downside to this is that it takes a long time to import the timelines from Premiere 5, once that's done, it works fast.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 1:41 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

This workaround works here, but disabling GPU accelaration, makes the rendering process very slow.

Not really a good solution

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 7:18 AM   in reply to Neverends Productions

Any news about it, epecially from those who joined the pre-release team?

Just yesterday I had to encode my current project, took 7 hours. But then, 7 hours is definately a night render job, so at least I am in no hurry...

OK, just tried something else - I removed my Blackmagic HD card since I had a gut feeling that it hangs somewhere there. Upon the first try with 6 Videos it worked well. Becoming euphoric, I tried it a second time and it failed at a somewhat significant position: right where the clip ends and the closing animation starts. Most of the footage for the video came from a P2-Card (DVCPROHD), while the closing animation is either a Quicktime using the Animation Codec or an uncompressed AVI. For a change, I even got an error Message:

Bildschirmfoto 2011-11-25 um 14.45.20.png

Message was edited by: zikade

3rd try:

I have arrived at a complete new level of puzzlement. A sequence which AME did render well on Windows get some interesting effects on my Mac like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2011-11-25 um 16.09.12.png

This part should look a bit different, trust me on that. The source is an ProRes422 movie, for some reason it's 960x720 with aspect ration of 1,333. So I created a new sequence having just this part in it, chose ProRes 422, 1280x720 square, replaced it in the sequence and it rendered just fine. Which is kind of odd, since the sequence has the settings 960x720 aspect ratio 1,333. Whats even funnier, on Windows I do not have that problem. There it gets interpreted correctly. All of that, and Playback in PPro is just fine, regardless of the OS or the spatial resolution of just that clip. Somebody can enlighten me why that is happening? I do guess that AME does have some problems with different Codecs and/or resolutions in a sequence - even more if both is different - which it shouldn't..

Message was edited by: zikade

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 9:16 AM   in reply to zikade

I am considering upgrading from CS5 Web to CS5.5 Web since there is a 30% discount until the end of the month. Would this problem many of you are having be a reason to avoid this upgrade, in your opinion? Or is this just a small bump in the whole package? I don't own Premiere Pro so I can't use the work around some of you are using.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 9:23 AM   in reply to water bowl

it won't affect you if you don't use AME in your workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 10:00 AM   in reply to DirtyLowPull

I use it only occasionally, to add small flash videos to my client's website. I had a disaster in May trying to encode a one hour flash movie for the website (it truncated at 30 min) and I don't want to have a repeat of this for the next shareholder meeting video. I have been following this thread with interest but since I only use AME occasionally I don't know how to handle any future problems. My husband is an IT admin and sets up my workstation. He has assured me everything is up-to-date.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points