Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AIR 3 ios sound issues

Participant ,
Oct 02, 2011 Oct 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey all

i am using the AIR 3 sdk overlayed Flash Pro 5.5 and i am having 2 sound issues:

first of all, my iPhone 3g's physical mute/silent button does not affect my app, and it should

secondly, the app records sound from the microphone when the user presses a button,

but on playback (with another button) you can hear that the sound is missing half a second or so from the beginning

this does not happen when testing on the desktop

any ideas?

thanx, Saar

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2011 Oct 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First limitation is a known limitation for all sounds being played in iOS platform. We will discussing the second concern in this post http://forums.adobe.com/message/3973662#3973662 by you.

I hope that helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 16, 2011 Oct 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanx

sorry for the duplication

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some more infor regarding the first issue. Even ipod app doesnot acknowdledge the mute button. This is because the mute switch is meant for the silencing the alarms and ringer tones and not the app music. I hope this tells you why we the mute switch should not silence the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Varun Bhatia,

that is not correct. as i have mentioned here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909164, all games (like Angry Birds) follow the mute switch on iOS

i think a future sdk should let the developer decide about this through actionscript

cheers

Saar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually iOS SDK provides 5 different ways to play media out of which only 2 respect the mute switch. The modes we use in our SDK donot respect the mute switch and there is no way we can enable this too. Angry birds might be using one of the 2 modes that respect the mute switch. iPod app on the other way uses a mode that doesnot respect the mute switch. I hope you understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

every game i have on my iPhone 3gs respects the switch. i don't have an iPod.

i understand switching between the 2 options (respecting or ignoring the mute switch) is not and wont be a runtime option.

this isn't a huge problem since i have a software mute in my app. also i could use native extentions as mentioned by your co-worker Saumitra Bhave at the same link: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909164

thanx again for all the help!

Saar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accidentally did a test of the mute situation, in that I had made an AIR 2.6 and an AIR 3 version of the same app, while checking out some non-sound related things. By chance I played the AIR 3 one while the mute button was in the sound off position, and I still heard the audio, which goes along with what you are saying. When I played the AIR 2.6 version I didn't hear sound until I turned the mute button to the sound on position.

So, regardless of why things happen the way they do, AIR 2.6 honored the mute switch, and AIR 3 doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@saariko

You might want to add a feature request for this over at http://ideas.adobe.com/ct/ct_list.bix?c=9D564F43-979A-4E35-AA21-85A61B6AB8DE and http://bugbase.adobe.com.

In case you decide to add the request, post back the URL so that others can also vote and comment.

Thanks.

Sanika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i will add a feature request soon

in the meantime, this is a quote from Apple's App Store Review Guidelines

"Apps that alter the functions of standard switches, such as the Volume Up/Down and Ring/Silent switches, will be rejected"

has anyone been rejected by Apple because of the silent switch's behavior in AIR 3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AIR not reacting to the mute switch isn't the same as repurposing it. Also, the rules may have changed with iOS 5, because Apple themselves have repurposed the volume up button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its definatelly a bug. This works 100% using 2.6 or 2.7. However its broken using 3.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I logged a bug about this and currently it's listed as a known issue, and is deferred. That is, they hopefully realize it's wrong but will fix it at some future date. I don't know when that date will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AIR-3 have disabled it. Now you have to use a Native Extension to see if mute or not, and thus able to control it sounds like they sound and what not. I am using a Native Extension own and works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be able to post a link to the native extension you are using ?

Much apriciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

Do you have a bug number handy?  I'll do a bit of research on my side to see if I can find an ETA.  Also, if you can spread the bug link around, I'd recommend anyone effected to vote if they feel like it should be fixed.  We use these votes to help determine priority.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug number is 3003849, but I don't think it's somewhere that most people can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see, it was added through the prerelease database.  It might not be a bad idea to create a seperate feature request over at bugbase.adobe.com.  We can link them internally and that way others can still vote on it.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, added it there too: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3053008

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colin.

Everyone else, I'd like to encourage you to visit Colins bug and vote for this issue if you think it's important for your applications.  Please pass this around the community so others are aware of it.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also voted, and would like to see the (meanwhile) ANE solution too!! thanx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I voted. Mainwhile when I have some time I upload my Native Extension for this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Colin's Bug has been closed with a reason of "ThirdParty", which I guess means Adobe thinks this is Apple's problem? It also appears that Apple changed their AudioSession api in iOS5 so that it no longer provides the state of the mute switch, so native extensions are no longer a possible solution. I guess unless Adobe changes the AVAudioSession category to AVAudioSessionCategoryAmbient or lets developers change that somehow, we are out of luck.

Meanwhile, I continue to receive complaints about my app disobeying the mute switch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2012 Jan 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash apps that were made with AIR 2.0 continue to honor the mute switch under iOS 5, so it's still a simple case of if Adobe handled the mute in AIR 3.x in the same way they did with AIR 2.0, the mute would work. It isn't an iOS 5 or Apple problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!, I have ready the Native Extension to mute sounds when mute button is off. You can download and read documentation here: http://www.enriquedavid.es/adobe-native-extensions-ios-mute-button.html

Be happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines